Toyota Nation Forum banner

Hmmm oil light flicker on 94 tercel..

3K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Bobby C 01TA 
#1 ·
Thinking of buying my uncle's 94 Tercel DX.. its a automatic with 145k miles..the oil changed every 3k... the oil light recently showed for a second couple mos ago.. My uncle said that the oil container light flickered on for a second or 2 at oil change time but after the oil was changed, the light never came back on.. He said the oil light comes on around 3k miles but it never did that before.. He said there's no ticking or knocking from the motor at all. My 91 MR2 did the same oil light flicker thing a couple times and then the motor slightly started ticking and then after a month it threw a rod and needed a new motor.. this was at 208k miles.

Should I go ahead and buy the car cause I'm getting it at a good price or should I stay away cause the oil pump may be failing and the motor is about to go/? Anyone else have this problem with their Tercel? And the car doesnt leak any oil. Thanks!

Bobby

#3 ·
well he did add a qt after seeing the light come on and he said it went off.. however he never checked the oil often but religiously change it every 3k miles.. I can understand the light coming on after maybe 10k miles but uhhh not too sure about 3k miles.. 145k miles is a good bit of miles but a toyota motor shouldnt go out this "early" should it? My MR2 was dogged on hard from day 1 and finally went out at 208k miles.. This was just driven normal

#4 ·
The tercel only holds 3 quarts, so when the valve seals begin to leak a little it doesn't take much to get the pump to draw air, thus making the light come on. It only takes a few seconds to check the oil level when fueling up, and can save you a few thousand. Rememeber the old commercial "You can pay me now, ... Or pay me later"?

#5 ·
well if the seals leak, thats not a problem.. having to put a qt every 2k miles or even 1k miles isnt too bad...just put a qt of oil in the trunk and if the light shows or flickers, just add and go.. I just dont want it to be the oil pump.. I dont want to buy the car and a month later the motor starts slapping and then boom! Oh well.. hopefully its just the seal :)

#6 · (Edited)
well errr.. i just talked to the uncle and he said that I would have to check the oil every 5-6 days .. he didnt say I had to add any oil, just check it.. sooo uhhh I doubt that could be the oil pump but never know...I'm gonna check the car out tonight for myself..I'll look around for any leaks around the block/oil pan etc. Its a commuter car.. and is driven around 100 miles a day... hwy miles

#8 · (Edited)
well i checked the car out.. hmm.. the engine is dirty but I do see oil around the block..so the gaskets are probably worn out. The car shakes a good bit at cold start while its in idle... even more with the A/C on. When the car is warmed up, it still shakes but not as much. At a light with the car in gear, it'll shake(vibrate).. The red oil light comes on when I take a hard right turn or a U..other than that..the car runs fine while in motion

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.