Trunk won't open - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Tercel, Paseo, Starlet, and Sera Forum

Tercel, Paseo, Starlet, and Sera Forum Discussion area for Tercel, Paseo, Starlet, and Sera

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2010, 03:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
New TN User

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View AresROC's Photo Gallery
Gen1 Trunk won't open

Among the list of issues my 93' Paseo has, one is my trunk won't open.

The keyhole on the trunk is turned 90 degrees. Instead of the usual vertical, it is in a horizontal position. I tried to turn it as hard as I can without breaking the key, as well as using a screwdriver on the outside. It won't turn, even after being soaked in WD-40's.

The trunk release next to the driver's seat pulls, but doesn't unlock anything.

I was able to rip the back seat cushion out, but unable to pull the back cushion down. There are two loops to the sides of this one piece seat, and when I pull on them, I can feel they are spring loaded, but no matter how hard I rock on them, they won't pull the back cushion down! Arghhh!!!

Sometimes I really think taking a torch to this abused POS is the best solution, LOL.
AresROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2010, 03:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
New TN User

View GA noob's Photo Gallery
dude you have to pop the bottom part of the back seat up and take it out first then you can get to the two bolts holdin in the back of the back seat. atleast thats how the terc is
GA noob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 05:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
Certifiably Insane

Gameroom cash: $240515
Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
View 96paseo's Photo Gallery
The cable for the pull release is probably broken or detached at the lock mechanism in the trunk lid with the lock rusted up that bad. As for the rear seats, try pushing against the seat while pulling the latch loop, then pull it forward.

Last edited by 96paseo; 05-27-2010 at 11:38 PM. Reason: can't spell
96paseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 12:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
New TN User

View AresROC's Photo Gallery
Thumbs up Trunk Opened!

Progress at last! Persistence paid off. After reading the very helpful hints above, I decided to give the trunk keyhole another try first. This time it worked! I recall from my 91' Toyota Celica's experience, that once the keyhole goes back to vertical, you can pop the trunk from the trunk release lever. This time I inserted the key, pushed it in with force, then turn it vertical. The key can't unlock the trunk, but I was able to give the trunk release lever a gentle pull, and it popped open!

Upon closer inspection from the inside of the trunk, I found the key lock was just retained in position by two metal tabs. So by pushing the key against the lock, I was able to give it enough clearance over those tabs and turn it back into position.

From inside the trunk, I found two lock switches for the back seat. They were both locked! so that makes sense the pull string couldn't pull the back seat down. I unlocked both of them, and only one side of the back seat would release. Since it's a one piece back seat, it still wouldn't open at all which ever way I tried... oh well.

I also found the two 10mm bolts securing the backseat hinges, on each side. They were a little hard to get to so I just left them along, for now.

Cheers!

Last edited by AresROC; 05-28-2010 at 12:33 PM. Reason: typo
AresROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 08:47 AM   #5 (permalink)
Certifiably Insane

Gameroom cash: $240515
Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
View 96paseo's Photo Gallery
Removing the back seat is much easier if you first remove the bottom portion first(the part your butt sits on). Just grab the front edge and pull up. It will take a bit of effort to get the locking tabs to come out. Slide it off the seat belt buckles and remove it. Then, you'll have plenty of room to remove those bolts.
96paseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Tercel, Paseo, Starlet, and Sera Forum