85 to 87 tercel 4wd real mpg? - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Tercel, Paseo, Starlet, and Sera Forum Discussion area for Tercel, Paseo, Starlet, and Sera

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 03-29-2011, 12:06 AM Thread Starter
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
USA 85 to 87 tercel 4wd real mpg?

hi i want to buy a 85 to 87 tercel 4wd can anyone tell me the real mpg?
thnx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-29-2011, 02:22 PM
Account canceled

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
You can go here to check mpg for just about any vehicle.
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/

You can add the hwy mpg and city mpg together and divide by two.
"1985 tercel Wagon 4WD Manual" 29+23=52/2=26
The epa numbers are typically lower than what you will get by averaging the gallons vs. trip odometer at fill-up. Add 4 to 7 mpg to the above formula and your in the ballpark. Just keep in mind that a 4WD will be less fuel efficient.
post #3 of 10 Old 04-02-2011, 06:42 PM
Official TN Member

Most of us get 28-31 mpg in combined, real-world driving. Of course, our cars ARE approaching 30 years of age...
I have a Weber 32/36 (difficult in your state) for smoothness rather than increased power and get 26-29 mpg in combined driving.
The '84-'85 are a mile or two more economical because of the different gear ratios.

AND - see PM for some more info...
Tom M.

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
post #4 of 10 Old 12-28-2014, 12:26 PM
Official TN Member

Unhappy

Tom, what happened to the Toyota 4wd web site, it comes up as closed indefinitely??
Vince
post #5 of 10 Old 01-16-2015, 07:16 PM
Alaskaoldguy

I have two Tercel 4x4's and they average about 25-30 mpg. I also have a 2WD hatchback that gets 35 plus mpg.
post #6 of 10 Old 01-16-2015, 07:20 PM
Alaskaoldguy

I just joined this site and would like to post a question for ND alternators, but unfamiliar on how to do it. I don't want to sit here at this computer all day figuring that out, but would just like to determine if this ND alternator I have is either internally regulated or not.
post #7 of 10 Old 01-16-2015, 10:10 PM
N/A bites

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Show me a picture of it. The back side where the battery terminal is. http://imgur.com hosts pics without joining.

This one is internal, notice the hump where regulator is.

This one is external, notice no regulator hump.

That's the quick/easy way to tell. Always make sure if alternator has plastic connector the connector from car is same color.

雄のハヤブサ

Last edited by Tercel GTS; 01-16-2015 at 10:18 PM.
post #8 of 10 Old 01-17-2015, 01:47 PM
Alaskaoldguy

Hey!! Thanks a bunch......you just saved me gobs of trouble. I have a 1983 Tercel that's been giving me shits for years with it's external alternator. I have two external type regulators......one I paid $50.00 for at O'Reillys and even bought a new externally regulated type alternator to try and solve the problems I'm having. Neither one of these external regulators will work properly. So.....I have another alternator that came from a later model Tercel that I know has an internal regulator. I was going to attempt to try and install it and figure out how to rewire so I could bypass the external regulator, but I discovered that the mounts on the later model alternator will not work. So......anyway, I also have "another" alternator that I know works fine and I just noticed it has the square bulge on it like you have shown me here. Obviously, it does have an internal regulator. So......now I just have to figure out how to eliminate the external regulator wiring. I have a Toyota electrical shop manual I just purchased and it's super helpful, so I think I can figure out how to do that. If you have any tips to help me along, I would certainly appreciate it.
post #9 of 10 Old 01-17-2015, 01:48 PM
Alaskaoldguy

External or Internal regulated alternator??

Hey!! Thanks a bunch......you just saved me gobs of trouble. I have a 1983 Tercel that's been giving me shits for years with it's external alternator. I have two external type regulators......one I paid $50.00 for at O'Reillys and even bought a new externally regulated type alternator to try and solve the problems I'm having. Neither one of these external regulators will work properly. So.....I have another alternator that came from a later model Tercel that I know has an internal regulator. I was going to attempt to try and install it and figure out how to rewire so I could bypass the external regulator, but I discovered that the mounts on the later model alternator will not work. So......anyway, I also have "another" alternator that I know works fine and I just noticed it has the square bulge on it like you have shown me here. Obviously, it does have an internal regulator. So......now I just have to figure out how to eliminate the external regulator wiring. I have a Toyota electrical shop manual I just purchased and it's super helpful, so I think I can figure out how to do that. If you have any tips to help me along, I would certainly appreciate it.
post #10 of 10 Old 01-17-2015, 02:03 PM
Alaskaoldguy

I might add that I have put everything back together on this 83 Tercel utilizing the internally regulated alternator I mentioned I have. It has the proper mounts so I can use it with no problems for it . The thing is.....now I have this internally regulated alternator installed and I also have the externally mounted regulator back installed in this system. I'm not sure I want to crank this thing up yet unless I can eliminate the external regulator somehow. Any comments on this setup? I will go and check the colors of the plugs to see if they match. How will a internally regulated alternator perform in a charging system that has an external regulator also??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Tercel, Paseo, Starlet, and Sera Forum