4 Speed Automatic Transmission Fill question - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Tercel, Paseo, Starlet, and Sera Forum

Tercel, Paseo, Starlet, and Sera Forum Discussion area for Tercel, Paseo, Starlet, and Sera

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2011, 04:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
New TN User

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View sledwrecker's Photo Gallery
Talking 4 Speed Automatic Transmission Fill question

I got what I think is a A242L 4 speed auto tranny from a 95-99 tercel installed in my 91. It is a non-ecu driven tranny so we're good there.

My question is does this transmission have seperate differential and transmission fill points?

I filled the tranny with ATF then I went to the Differential and pulled the TORX head filler nut and to my suprise fluid came out. I thought these had seperate fill points (which is how I smoked my 3-speed when I didn't know you had to fill the diff seperately)

The tranny is in the car, it had almost no fluid in it at all prior to install (just maybe half a cup came out when I pulled the pan and put in a new filter and gasket) and when I pulled the old drive axles no fluid came out at all.

If I have fluid coming out of the differential torx nut filler hole then I should be good to go right??? I would HATE to blow this tranny as well for the same stupid A$$ mistake.
sledwrecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2011, 11:40 AM   #2 (permalink)
New TN User

View sledwrecker's Photo Gallery
Ok nearly a week and not a single reply. Let me rephrase the questions.

DOES ANY TOYOTA Tercel, Starlet, Paseo 4 Speed automatic transmission have seperate fill points for the diff and the transaxle?

sledwrecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 01:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tinkering Addict

Gameroom cash: $101200
View noahthefrog's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sledwrecker View Post
Ok nearly a week and not a single reply. Let me rephrase the questions.

DOES ANY TOYOTA Tercel, Starlet, Paseo 4 Speed automatic transmission have seperate fill points for the diff and the transaxle?

YES. Pretty sure they all do since differential fluid (aka gear oil) is not even close or similar to automatic transmission fluid (aka hydraulic fluid). On manual transmissions, they share the same fluid but not on automatics. I have no idea where the fill or drain is for it though. The plug you pulled was probably the drain hole and not the fill hole. Also, you have to drain/fill the differential on a level surface. Fill it with 75w90 gear oil until the fluid is level with the bottom of the fill hole (until it leaks out) - that is unless there's a dipstick for it, in which case fill it through the dipstick hole. Only automatic I ever owned was a Subaru and it had a differential dipstick I had to fill it through.

Last edited by noahthefrog; 10-08-2011 at 01:51 PM.
noahthefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 03:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
No More Turbos!

Garage
View Pwner Guy's Photo Gallery
You're using a A242L transmission right. Then yes there is a 10mm hex drain plug for the transmission in the pan and one for the differential, the diff should have a fill plug about half way up the cover, off the top of my head it should be a 17mm or a 15/16 plug.
Now the important thing:

Whatever you do DO NOT PUT GEAR OIL IN THE DIFFERENTIAL!!!!!!!! Only use DEXRON III!!! You're looking at about 1.5L in the the diff and 2.5L in the tranmission.
Old 10-08-2011, 04:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tinkering Addict

Gameroom cash: $101200
View noahthefrog's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwner Guy View Post
You're using a A242L transmission right. Then yes there is a 10mm hex drain plug for the transmission in the pan and one for the differential, the diff should have a fill plug about half way up the cover, off the top of my head it should be a 17mm or a 15/16 plug.
Now the important thing:

Whatever you do DO NOT PUT GEAR OIL IN THE DIFFERENTIAL!!!!!!!! Only use DEXRON III!!! You're looking at about 1.5L in the the diff and 2.5L in the tranmission.
Really? Differential uses ATF? (EDIT: Looked up the answer to my own question and yes they really do use it in these cars. Apparently the ATF is tough enough for differentials in light duty applications)
Not saying your wrong.. I admittedly know almost nothing about automatic transmissions, but that begs the question... why don't they just fill via the same fill hole?

Last edited by noahthefrog; 10-08-2011 at 05:59 PM.
noahthefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 03:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
Certifiably Insane

Gameroom cash: $240515
Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
View 96paseo's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by noahthefrog View Post
Really? Differential uses ATF? (EDIT: Looked up the answer to my own question and yes they really do use it in these cars. Apparently the ATF is tough enough for differentials in light duty applications)
Not saying your wrong.. I admittedly know almost nothing about automatic transmissions, but that begs the question... why don't they just fill via the same fill hole?
On a similar note, the Camry had a separate fill/drain for the diff for quite some time and ATF went in the diff. From 1986-1999 IIRC so its not so strange that Toyota had incorporated the same design for other platforms as well. The drain plug on both the diff and trans pan will face the ground and will be a 10mm hex. The diff fill plug will likely be 17mm, be facing the firewall and is part of the differential cap. Refilling the diff can be handled with 2-3' of clear 3/8" tubing and a precision funnel attached to it. Good luck.
96paseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Tercel, Paseo, Starlet, and Sera Forum