Toyota Nation Forum banner

driver side window not working..tried new window..tried new switch

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  punk_and_goth 
#1 ·
Like the tittle says im running out of ideas. driver side window hasn't worked for about a week. thought it was a bad motor. ordered a new one from oreily. hooked the new one up only to find out that it turned for a split second then wouldn't move. it will do this every once in a while, just move for a half second then stop. So then i thought well hey the switch must be bad, so i ordered a new switch on ebay. put the new switch in and tested it on the passenger side (passenger side works fine with the new switch) then tried it on driver side (same thing) it moved for a second then stopped. i'm thinking about cutting the connector plug out that goes upto the motor and wiring it directly tomorrow in case that is the culprit (it connects but doesn't lock in place) if that doesn't fix it then sh!t i'm out of ideas. Any help is appreciated :help:

#4 ·
Thanks for the ideas I checked the new motor I got from oreileys by putting it directly to the battey and it didn't move. Thanks to oreillys for selling me a $150 broken motor. Come to figure out I was the switch that was broken because when I put the old motor back in it worked done with the new switch! Problem solved! But ya not gonna be buying from Oreilly any time soon!!

#6 ·
napa only for me :rockon: its seems like the only place that has parts that are worth a damm (and some oem parts from toyota)

#5 ·
Few steps for those who will be reading later:

It helps to apply 12V straight to motor and see if it moves;
Use the switch from the side opposite & check;
Visually inspect the connectors for pushed back pins etc.

All that stuff is applicable to all those applications that ran by switches in the inner door (i.e power mirrors, door locks, power windows)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.