Toyota Nation Forum banner

Led lighting so far

17K views 81 replies 15 participants last post by  because_wumbo-truck 
#1 ·
So far I have the dash done all leds ( even the gear indicator lights are led)

Now in red

Ignition in red

Ac controls in white (I may change to red )

Map light red/white led

Dome light in red

Rear brake/parking/tag lights led

Turn signals led (right housing is cracked )

Reverse lights are led

Corner lights are led

Next is the lights for the tool box
2 - 12" for the sides and 1- 50" for the rear

And to buy new led lights for the front rhino bar

See less See more
#3 ·
That is so cool man, i have been thinking about doing LED for my dash for awhile now. Where do you you get all that LEDS ? and how much did you spent for all that ? if you don't mind i am asking. Thanks they look great.:clap:

BTW, that is a cool license plate

I get the leds from a local supply here in Buford / Lawrenceville
http://www.hidlightsusa.com

For me the Long life of the LEDs out weigh the cost ( some thing like 8 red 194 leds was like 30$)

Thank you for the plate comment btw ;)
My friend in Cali has it aswell :D

#4 · (Edited)
Did you do your turn signal lights LED? If yes, do they blink fast? It looks fantastic! Thank you for the idea of doing the ignition light. And where did you get the "unleaded fuel only"? Was that an option? It looks like it is one of the pattern filters.

Now I see, it is on the gauge panel, next to the trip meter. My dash lights have been out for so long that I don't know if I have it or not.

#6 ·
#7 ·
Sweet! It looks like it replaces the existing one.
Do you happen to know if the front turn signal lights, on the bumper, can be rewired into the front corner lights? So the front lights, yellow, are on or off and when the turn signal gets activated, they blink?

#10 · (Edited)
Old rear trailer docking lights died I got some nice pods from my local guy I get all my leds from

http://www.hidlightsusa.com

I used the star bolts that are on the bumper

I think I'll add two more back there

Reactions: Rolando Galvez
#11 ·
Punk, love the red interior lights. That red is perfect for long trips as well. My old trans am, 97, had red interior lights and it was by far my favorite. Made those long trips at night much nicer. That red is so easy on the eyes, and actually I think it looks the best too!

Did you just change the bulbs out for Red LED bulbs? If so what size of bulbs did you use for the big and little ones?

#13 · (Edited)
my recent LED upgrade ...

Hmmm ... now you got me thinking I may want to get some red ones for my dash.

My light upgrades from a couple of weeks ago ...

Headlamps ... not LED but definitely improved.
Replaced one on right w. stock Philips (Philips 9003 Standard Halogen Headlight Bulb).

These halogens definitely degrade with time. I suspect one on left may be original (19 years old). Have added "rpl headlamp bulbs" to my 60k mile maintenance schedule.

Both done:

Rear Tail Light
Replaced left side with VLED (RED 1157 21 LED BRAKE TURN SIGNAL BULBS 2057, 1157_21_R)

... brighter through side marker lens too (no pic though).

... w. brake lights on:

Back Up Lights
Left side VLED (6K WHITE 9 LED PARKING BACKUP LIGHT 67 89 1156 2056 320LM)

... doesn't look much brighter in this pic, but definitely notice the difference in the rear view mirror ... objects are much sharper.

I also put VLEDs in Step Light (194 6K WHITE 6 LED HIGH POWER 360° 180LM ... a little bigger than stock ... couldn't completely close the little plastic cage around the bulb so just zip tied it as far as it would go), Map and Dome Lights (6K WHITE 6 LED HIGH OUTPUT DOME LIGHT BULB 29MM 3022).

Kinda miss the warmer incandescents, but it's most definitely brighter in the cab now.

Map lights for comparison:

Think I'm going to order front and rear marker LED bulbs to complete this mod. These Sierra Green trucks aren't terribly visible in the dark, so want to light it up on the road as much as I can. With this in mind, also thinking of doing the license plate lights, though these do cast a little glare on my backup camera lens so not sure I want to make that any worse but will likely try it and see.

I also put VLED (194 RED 6 LED HIGH POWER 360°) in the brake light above the cab. No noticeable improvement. Fortunately, only ordered one (there are 3 bulbs in there ... put it in the middle position and it didn't look any different than the other two).

Oh, and one last note/caution on this install: Doing all this in the dark, didn't notice that the brake light bulbs have 2 little nibs on the base that you guide into the receptacle slots and one nib is higher than the other, so each one has to go into its proper slot (to get the running vs braking circuits right). I must have put it in 180° off cuz I busted one of those little suckers off the bulb base. Tried soldering a new one on, but no joy and now have to request a replacement ... *ugh*

#14 ·
I bet I have one of those sockets somewhere in my garage from when I did the replacements from the hack ass trailer wiring from the last owner

Reactions: Dhowman
#16 ·
i found thees :D and ordered all of them :D

radio pocket switch panel replacement

clock replacement

ash tray replacement

and i cant rember who likes the scan gauge here but they make a mound for it as well

#18 ·
This post has been deleted
#21 · (Edited)
got a call today from from my led guy he said the H4 BI led headlight bulbs came in today
http://www.hidlightsusa.com/

They come with a clear glass tube , a blue tube and a yellow tube

on the left sylvania zxe
on the right gp extreme
( and yes i know i need to take my xmas lights off and new tires are on order )

low beams

high beams

Reactions: beerhunt
#22 · (Edited)
#35 ·
Having some difficulty pulling my dash apart to get to the instument lighting cluster, any good write ups on step by step how to pull it apart to get to the lights? Much help is appreciated thanks

#36 ·
Pull kick panel (4 or 5 10mm bolts)
Then remove bezel surrounding the cluster ( 4 or 5 Philips head screws )
The cluster I think has 2 or 3 Philips head screws and undo the connections on the cluster and you should be golden

Btw here is a tip of the led does not turn on flip it around

#42 ·
Lol well 5am comes early for me
Btw how did you get your led's to fit without the dust covers, a lot of the lights ive looked at say they wont install correctly with the use of dust covers because of the external fan, sorry for asking so many questions, just want my shit to look decent

Reactions: beerhunt
#44 ·
I've had good luck with the JDM Astar branded LED's from Amazon in some more difficult housings, their new 144ex (tiny SMD's) based bulbs are super bright for the the size and radiate light laterally very very evenly which is key in certain housings. They are, as far as I know, just a rebranded import of the CN360 bulbs from Aliexpress, but 2 day Prime shipping vs 1 month shipping is nicer even if it doubles the cost.

#54 · (Edited)
sorry about the angle of the video and speed ( its 20 F and i dont have anybody to hold the camera for me )

Tools needed a Philips head and a 10MM
i use my favorite tool milwaukee m12 3/8 ratchet :D

remove the x4 10mm bolts

then the x4 Philips head screws

Now have the ebrake on and have the shifter in L
pry the top of the bezel and follow it stage left :p

now remove 4 Philips head screws ( i forgot to take a pic )

now reach behind it and remove the speedo cable ( if available ) and now it's easier to remove the cables

#55 ·
sorry about the angle of the video and speed ( its 20 F and i dont have anybody to hold the camera for me )

Tools needed a Philips head and a 10MM
i use my favorite tool milwaukee m12 3/8 ratchet :D

remove the x4 10mm bolts

then the x4 Philips head screws

Now have the ebrake on and have the shifter in L
pry the top of the bezel and follow it stage left :p

now remove 4 Philips head screws ( i forgot to take a pic )

now reach behind it and remove the speedo cable ( if available ) and now it's easier to remove the cables

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnuJv4tDAGw&feature=youtu.be
YAYAYA day made thanks man helps a bunch

#60 ·
Hey Punk so i got all of my lights over to LED's well sorta, it seems like my front turn signals wont flash the bulbs work but seems like there is a bad connection the weird thing is, the rear turn signals both work? Tried adjusting the metal prongs inside the front two sockets with no such luck but when i put my incondescents in the front they flash right up, i have a new LED relay installed so thats not the problem should i get new bulbs or? Thanks

#65 ·
Back Up Light Bulb-1156
Brake Light Bulb-1157
Center High Mount Stop Light Bulb-921
Courtesy Light Bulb-194
Dome Light BulbDE-3022
Glove Box Light Bulb-74
Headlight Bulb High Beam-9005
Headlight Bulb Low Beam-9006
Instrument Panel Light Bulb-194
License Light Bulb-168
Map Light Bulb-67
Side Marker Light Bulb Front-168
Side Marker Light Bulb Rear-168
Tail Light Bulb-1157
Trunk or Cargo Area Light-DE3021
Turn Signal Light Bulb Rear-1156
Turn Signal Light Bulb Front-1156
Parking Light Bulb-168

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.