Toyota Nation Forum banner

trailer brake lights and turns signals dont work

6K views 11 replies 3 participants last post by  dnshady 
#1 ·
so I'm moving into a new place this weekend and borrowed a trailer from a friend, I hook up the wiring harness and come to find out my running lights work but nether turn signal or brake light work on the trailer... could this be a fuse problem? kind of confused on where to start, there is only power going to the ground and the running lights, but no power going to the green or yellow wire, any help on this topic would be great and soon :) there is continuity on the trailer wiring harness though so I know this is a problem with my truck and not the trailer itself

#3 ·
I would carefully inspect the wiring on the trailer including the harness connector. Green to right, yellow to left, white to ground, brown is 12V to running lights. You can use a meter or an adapter that plugs into the wiring harness. I have even installed my own wiring because the cheap wiring I got with my lights at Harbor Freight died. Seems the copper they used in there self destructed. ;)

#4 ·
I would carefully inspect the wiring on the trailer including the harness connector. Green to right, yellow to left, white to ground, brown is 12V to running lights. You can use a meter or an adapter that plugs into the wiring harness. I have even installed my own wiring because the cheap wiring I got with my lights at Harbor Freight died. Seems the copper they used in there self destructed.
Unfortunately the problem is not with the trailer but with the wiring harness connected to the truck itself and that's where I am confused because this is also happening on my girlfriends dads boat trailer as well, fuses are a-ok and it seems as of the power to the green wore nor the yellow wire is making it through the t-connector, planning on using a light detector to see if there is power to the wires before the 5 to 4 t-converter if there is power before the converter do I need to buy a new t-converter?

#5 ·
I have already used a light tester on both the trailer wire harness and the truck wire harness and the light glows when connected to the ground on the wirness of the truck and running lights ie brown wire tip of the harness but when I check the ground to green wire and ground to yellow wire the light does not go on, but when doing this same process the to the trailer harness lights go on for each point on the connector

#8 ·
I would still guess it's the wiring on the trailer. Use a 9V battery or if you have enough wire to run 12V to the green wire and ground to the white wire. Repeat fer the yellow wire and white wire. If the wiring is good, they should light up accordingly. If not, I'd just rewire the trailer with some good wire. ;)

Once that test is completed, I would turn my attention to the T-converter and how it's connected. ;)

#11 ·
well i decided, fuck it and just had someone follow me hauling the stuff, everything worked out, the guy i bought the truck from was a "retard" pardon my language when it came to trying to re-wire the truck for some reason, so my brother is an industrial electrician and knows his way around car/truck electrical, and is going to rewire my truck completely, the person i bought it from cut the connector from the truck itself when i first bought it so i knew there was something fishy going on, i dont often tow anything with this truck, and really havent had the chance to tow anything so for now im not concerned but i thank you all for contributing your thoughts to this, every post is important because maybe some other person has a similar problem to mine

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.