My first T-100 - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

T-100 Forum Discussion forum for the short-lived but extremely popular Toyota T-100 model.

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 04-16-2017, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
My first T-100

Picked up my first T-100, 97 Sr-5 4x4, 117K one owner, California rust free! Happy to join the T-100 club.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	51396616127__935DCCAF-E0C0-49B4-8467-191745FC6DB8.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	1.04 MB
ID:	115522  
beerhunt likes this.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cbadbox For This Useful Post:
BamZipPow (04-16-2017), SC T100 (04-17-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 04-16-2017, 09:23 PM
T100 Road Warrior...

Thanked 3,242 Times in 2,555 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Supreme Member
Garage
Looking very nice! How did you come across this find?

What plans do you have fer yer T-100? Probably a timing belt/water pump inspection/replacement? Inspect that radiator fer any developing cracks! Is the Check Engine light on? Have you hooked up an OBDII reader/scanner yet? I'm curious what yer water temps are at operating temps.

I'm guessing since it is a California spec'd vehicle that there is an EGR system installed. Hopefully there aren't any issues with it yet.

1998 T-100 SR5 2WD auto, Roadmaster Active suspension, oil catch jar, AC mod, aero cap, lower aero package, 67% grill block
post #3 of 17 Old 04-16-2017, 11:04 PM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamZipPow View Post
Looking very nice! How did you come across this find?

What plans do you have fer yer T-100? Probably a timing belt/water pump inspection/replacement? Inspect that radiator fer any developing cracks! Is the Check Engine light on? Have you hooked up an OBDII reader/scanner yet? I'm curious what yer water temps are at operating temps.

I'm guessing since it is a California spec'd vehicle that there is an EGR system installed. Hopefully there aren't any issues with it yet.
Welcome to the Addiction! Don't mind BZP he gets a little stoked to see clean low mileage examples of the T-100.
He's exceptional asset to the forum!
beerhunt likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to sdspeed For This Useful Post:
BamZipPow (04-16-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 04-17-2017, 07:22 AM
Senior TN Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Welcome! Post up some more pics and let us know your plans for the truck. As it's a 4x4, there's a few great things you can do to get it riding and handling like new again. Do a little searching around for threads on shocks, stabilizer bar bushings and end links, the steering damper, and idler arm rebuilds and have at it!

'97 Extra Cab 3.4 4x4 5sp 102K and counting...
Aisin hubs, Marlin shifter bushings, a few fellow TN member mods, and lots of elbow grease.
post #5 of 17 Old 04-17-2017, 09:39 AM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Cool Thanks

Thanks for the welcome!

I had been watching for a Toyota 4x4, had almost pulled the trigger on a early 89 long bed but decided I wanted something more comfortable with a place for the granddaughter in the back, came across this one on Craigslist and once I saw and drove it had to have it. Very comfortable on the freeway, it will be my daily driver and surf check rig. Like having the hard cover so my boards are stowed securely. The interior is original and in great condition.

Came with full documentation on maintenance, window sticker and even the 97 T100 sales brochure. Hard to believe these had a $30,000 sticker twenty years ago. The tow package, hitch, alarm and CD player were added at time of purchase by the dealer.

Last time the timing belt was done was in 2004 at 53K, needs new shocks, its weeping a small amount of oil (I think from the valve covers) and most likely needs some new rotors and pads up front. The rotors are the originals. The speakers are worn out too. The auto lock/unlock is not working on the passenger door. Windows are a bit slow at the very top of the cycle.

I will get to know it more this week and see what it needs. Great forum, plenty of good info!
beerhunt likes this.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cbadbox For This Useful Post:
BamZipPow (04-17-2017), SC T100 (04-17-2017), sdspeed (04-17-2017)
post #6 of 17 Old 04-17-2017, 04:10 PM
T100 Road Warrior...

Supreme Member
Garage
Wink

Do you know which alarm system is installed? It will probably need to be enabled through some mumbo jumbo programming sequence.

The reason fer the big sticker was because of the 25% tariff that was imposed on these trucks back in the 90's.

Wow...timing belt changed at 53k? I guess they were changing it out based on time and not mileage. At least you have a good frame of mind that it's a fairly new timing belt.

If yer gonna be playing in water, yer probably gonna want to do the differential breather mod. Check out thread link in DIY area!

1998 T-100 SR5 2WD auto, Roadmaster Active suspension, oil catch jar, AC mod, aero cap, lower aero package, 67% grill block
post #7 of 17 Old 04-17-2017, 11:24 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
water temp, oil pressure?

Attached is a pic of the water temp reading and oil pressure at freeway speed. At an Idle the oil pressure gauge registers to the far left on the "L", is that normal. Oil levels are good.

DeGreased the engine and transmission today after tightening the valve cover bolts. They were pretty loose and that appears to have stopped the leaking around the valve covers.

Owners manual states timing belt should be done every 60K??

The alarm is by KARR
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2402.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	666.0 KB
ID:	116106  
BamZipPow (04-18-2017), SC T100 (04-19-2017)
post #8 of 17 Old 04-18-2017, 09:54 AM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
[QUOTE=cbadbox;12377362]Attached is a pic of the water temp reading and oil pressure at freeway speed. At an Idle the oil pressure gauge registers to the far left on the "L", is that normal. Oil levels are good.

DeGreased the engine and transmission today after tightening the valve cover bolts. They were pretty loose and that appears to have stopped the leaking around the valve covers.

Owners manual states timing belt should be done every 60K??

The alarm is by KARR[/QUOTE

That's where my gauges have run for 23 years
Timing belt, 2 so far in just under 200k miles, 2nd one at 167k only because I had to put on a water pump.
Visually neither one looked any worse for wear. Since these are non-interference engines if ya break the belt the engine just quits, not likely to cause any additional damage. Had one break on my MR2 the day before my wedding. Shoulda taken it as an omen
post #9 of 17 Old 04-18-2017, 09:59 AM
New TN User

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Lifetime Supreme Member
Good score!!
Wondering what you paid for it?
My 96 has 400K on the original motor and trans.
Good luck with it.

post #10 of 17 Old 04-18-2017, 04:33 PM
T100 Road Warrior...

Supreme Member
Garage
If you git an OBDII reader, you will know that actual temp the ECU is reading from the Engine Coolant Temp sensor. A quick glance at yer temp gauge it would appear that the tech might have installed the coolant thermostat with the jiggle valve at the 12 o'clock position. It's supposed to be at the 6 o'clock position fer the 5vzfe engine.

Previous thread...
Jiggle valve position fer the 5VZ-FE engine...

Yes, the oil pressure gauge will seem like the oil pressure is too low but that's a "normal" feature.

post #11 of 17 Old 04-18-2017, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Thanks

I saw it and had to have it and it did not come cheap, 10K. He was asking 11K.

I have never used a OBDII meter, sounds like its time to learn. I charged the AC today and its currently blowing cold. Time will tell if thats all it needed. The previous owner stated he never used it since he leaves by the coast.

Good to know if the belt goes its a no interference situation.

attached is an interior pic, not the best lighting.

Appreciate all the good feedback and info.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2403.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	1,018.7 KB
ID:	116386  
beerhunt likes this.
BamZipPow (04-18-2017), sdspeed (04-18-2017)
post #12 of 17 Old 04-18-2017, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Drivers door

My goals to keep very close to original. The fabric on the drivers door armrest has pulled away a bit and is worn. Can a person get that original fabric?
post #13 of 17 Old 04-18-2017, 08:28 PM
T100 Road Warrior...

Supreme Member
Garage
Best thing to do is to either contact an upholstery shop to match the fabric (it will be close but not an exact match) or find a better door panel (not likely) from a parts yard.

I would remove the original carpeted floor mats (store them away) and pick up a set of gray Husky front floor liners. They will do an amazing job at keeping yer carpet as new as possible and keep the fuzz from flaking off and into the AC evaporator. I believe we have a thread in here with the part numbers as well as the company's contact info. They will press out a new fresh set fer you. Unfortunately, they broke the mold on the rear sets. But you should be able to use the rear ones fer the first gen Tundra access cab.

You should check out my AC mod thread to the low pressure line. Yes, it's in the DIY section at the top of the forum.

There are several devices that will wirk on the OBDII port. I currently use the Ultragauge since it has a multi gauge/7 page option to view parameters as I'm driving. It is rather limited by today's standards like the Bluetooth devices paired with a smart phone or tablet. They still make dedicated diagnostic readers/scanners as well as cabled readers that use a computer. You'll have to decide what will best fit yer needs and budget.

Since it is an auto, you might want to consider a drain/fill fer the ATF. Same goes fer the power steering system...it also uses Dexron II ATF.

Do you know if the precious owner had the steering link recall taken care of?

post #14 of 17 Old 04-19-2017, 10:29 AM
Senior TN Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Careful tightening those valve cover bolts down...they are only supposed to be 30-ish inch pounds I believe. As they are aluminum, they will crack if tightened too much...*especially* on the corners. It happens a lot on these 3.4s by people tightening them too much (this straight from my Toyota mechanic family member).

That truck is in great condition. For sure baselining all the fluids is probably a great idea as some may still be original.

'97 Extra Cab 3.4 4x4 5sp 102K and counting...
Aisin hubs, Marlin shifter bushings, a few fellow TN member mods, and lots of elbow grease.
post #15 of 17 Old 04-19-2017, 11:02 AM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Cool T-100

I was careful on the bolts and used my small ratchet so I wouldn't over do it. Black Husky's were ordered the day after I got it. Its had these clear hard mats on it since it was new. Receipts show fluids have been maintained but its my intention to have them done again so I have a baseline moving forward. Initially the AC compressor clutch was not engaging and no cold air. Charged the system yesterday, it engaged and is now blowing cold, pump is making some occasional noises, seems to be coming from the clutch. I will wait to see if it holds the charge.

Eventually I would like to add Wet Okole seat covers and include the heating element. Might also look for a slide in pop up camper once everything is sorted out. I'm retired and you would think I have nothing but time. Too many projects!! Good problem to have..........
The Following User Says Thank You to cbadbox For This Useful Post:
SC T100 (04-19-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > T-100 Forum