4x4 not working - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
T-100 Forum Discussion forum for the short-lived but extremely popular Toyota T-100 model.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 02-27-2009, 03:58 PM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
4x4 not working

When I put my 1993 T100 in 4H or 4L I'm not getting front wheel traction. No dash lights either. Has anyone dealt with this problem before? This is my first Toyota pickup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-27-2009, 10:38 PM
Official TN Member

Did it work before? Has it been in for engine work recently? Reason I ask is that mine didn't work when I bought it in Jan. I swapped the vacuum lines of the two VSVs (under the hood) and it's worked like a charm ever since.

riv

96 T100 SR5 4wd
04 Camry SE
#3 Old 02-28-2009, 03:17 PM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
I just bought it on Monday and I don't know about the engine work question nor do I know if it worked before. I got under the hood yesterday and followed the lines to a couple of electrical units (red and gray I think). From there they were reduced down to one line and dissappeared into the quarter panel. Which ones are the VSV lines? This has auto-locking hubs, right?

Last edited by marbleman; 02-28-2009 at 03:19 PM.
#4 Old 02-28-2009, 04:31 PM
Official TN Member

grey and red sound right. I just went and looked. Mine are blue and red and located at top of driver side front wheel wheel, just behing the washer fluid reservoir. I swapped the two single lines. Before doing that, the guy I bought it from had it looked at by a mechanic who noticed that when he shifted to 4wd and hit the actuator with a rubber mallet, the 4wd light came on. He thought it was the actuator, so we chopped a couple hundred off the price. When I got home, I hit the actuator (with lever in 4wd and the light as usual, not coming on) and he was right. I pulled the hoses off the actuator to check for breaks (another point to check, btw). They were fine and I replaced them. This is actually getting me to thinking that the two hoses might have been swapped at the actuator at some point in time and not at the VSVs. So maybe just swap them at the actuator instead of the VSVs. It should yield the same result.

This might help get you familiar with the system. My VSVs are on the other side, same general system though.

riv

96 T100 SR5 4wd
04 Camry SE
#5 Old 02-28-2009, 04:55 PM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Where can I get a better view of those diagrams?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > T-100 Forum