Door lock assembly problems - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
T-100 Forum Discussion forum for the short-lived but extremely popular Toyota T-100 model.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 05-18-2009, 12:09 AM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Door lock assembly problems

Ok so I bought a 1996 T100 SR5 Ext Cab, I love the truck , everything works in it, although there are some issues with the door lock assembly on both doors, they are worn out, or need adjustment, lubricating, or replacing. What happens is that they don't close right, when I close the door and hit a bump while driving the doors shake, due to vibration, and make this messed up noise of metal to metal bumping and grinding; I'm going to try and buy a FSM from e-bay or find a place to download one, but on the meantime I'd like to see if someone knows how to adjust or service these parts. I will probably tackle this sometime this week or this coming weekend.

Thanks in advance for any help. I searched before posting but no luck on my issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-19-2009, 09:43 PM
Official TN Member

I would first check that the striker (U shaped metal piece the lock contacts) is properly lined up. From there I would check to see if the door itself is sitting properly. If you hear metal grinding this would be my first area of attention. Is it the door grinding against the body? where? Can you tell by inspection? Is it a problem only after you close the door (when the striker forces alignment)?

Both the door hinges and striker can be adjusted on your own and could cause problems like you describe. Unless your doors are falling open I'm not inclined to think the problem is with the door locks.
#3 Old 05-20-2009, 12:10 AM
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
The door seats properly, and is aligned with the body lines fine but I guess the prior owner had fun slamming the door to close it, and I say this because the "U" Shaped part inside the door that is supposed to lock onto the "U" shaped metal piece on the body (the one that is supposed to maintain the door in place and somewhat sealed, or shut and avoid vibration), when you open the door the spring is no longer strong enough to retract it all the way, so if I don't manually push it up, sometimes it will hit the "U" Sahped metal piece on the body with its side, instead of the inside(done this only like three times when I forget my truck does that); also this is where the metal to metal noise come from and the loose "U" shaped part inside the door seems to be the reason. So I will tear into this weekend since I will be downloading the FSM tomorrow. mostly sure I think I will end up buying a new assembly and replacing it all to make sure I no longer have to slam the door to close it, but I will open it and ispect it first, just in case I can fix it..
Well since I have not seen anyone here asking for this I'll post the outcome of this and might help someone else later on. Wish me luck.
#4 Old 05-20-2009, 09:23 PM
Official TN Member

sounds like the latch assy is done for. not too hard of a job on the several cars I have replaced that part on, but I've never done it on a T.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > T-100 Forum