Toyota Nation Forum banner

My 96 T-100 Speaker Upgrade and Others

49K views 76 replies 16 participants last post by  jpstude 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok i finally have some time to figure this out. Anyway here are some of the improvements i did.

Start the headlights:
both were very oxidized, yellow, and foggy. I bought a 3M headlight kit from O’Reilly’s for 20 bucks. What a difference!!! I also got new brighter bulbs to put in, as the old ones were still original, and they do dim over time. Total cost 60 bucks. Now my headlights are brighter then the brights when they are regular!

Also all my windows were really fogged over also, etched on the outside. I took the final step on the headlight kit and polished all the glass. What a difference!!! Looks so clear now, also I got the windows tinted as well, sorry no pics of that.

Now to the speakers. I put in some sony component 6.5” in the fronts, and a new pioneer CD player. I need some back speakers. So I got some Clarion 6x9 components for the rear. It never had rear speakers, so I took apart the truck. Found a huge about 24” long by 18” wide opening behind the panels. So I cut out the proper opening from MDF wood, and installed the 6x9’s into that and that into the truck.

I also put a lot of dynomat type stuff on the truck and some insulation as well. I found that the T-100 had quite a bit of sound deadening in the front but none in the rear. That is why my truck was so loud, and most of the noise was from behind me. I got the product called quick roof, exactly the same as dynomat, but about 1/10th the price. 6” x 25ft for 11 bucks. I also got the sound deadening from lowes… a leftover piece of carpet padding for 10 bucks.

See no sound deadening!!! No wonder all that noise was coming from behind me.

That is not duct tape, its that dynomat stuff.

Here is what it looks like finished,

That is what was left of my seat belt. I have the new one from the dealer installed now! So its all done

What a difference in quietness and sound. Its so much nicer to drive it on the highway. Now I can’t wait to get the Gibson system in on Friday and get it installed, and no more rusted muffler sound.

See less See more
#73 ·
I cleared up my headlights with the 3M kit also, (with the 3M you can actually by the pieces individually, makes a big difference)

I want to confirm for others the Quick Roof. I put the same stuff in the inside of the doors (inside outer wall) floor and up to the bottom of rear window. It works great, and I used two rolls (6 in). It helps to have a little vinyl installers roller top smooth it out on the install and to cut the pieces first and check fit before pulling the backing off. Sticky stuff, but the truck is transformed to a more solid ride, also cuts the heat of the sun down, an improve on the AC.

#75 ·
Quick roof and other materials like it have been around fer a long time before Dynamat. It was used before someone got tired of the tar smell and made a new formula fer the adhesive that didn't smell as bad and jacked the price up. Presto...Dynamat! ;)

From their website...http://www.dynamat.com/about-dynamic-control/
Dynamic Control of North America, Inc. is a privately held corporation located in Hamilton, Ohio, USA. Established in 1989, the company markets acoustic environmental solutions for a broad range of industries.

#76 ·
quick roof

Yeah, the tar smell was a minor issue at first, but after a couple weeks in the hot sun airing out, it's gone. And yes its roofing material, but has been used for years in buildings for sound control. I also like the 6 inch rolls easy to install (does not bind as much in tight places).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.