Mods for kids in the back seat... - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
T-100 Forum Discussion forum for the short-lived but extremely popular Toyota T-100 model.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 06-06-2012, 01:42 PM
T100 Road Warrior...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Thanked 2,284 Times in 1,852 Posts
Garage
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Lightbulb Mods for kids in the back seat...

Since my son has been growing up, I've modded out the back seat where he sits so it's more comfortable fer him to be independent back there.

Besides installing some interior mirrors so I don't have to turn my head to look back there, I've made a few modifications.

Using some Coroplast, I cut two strips and ziptied them to the seat belt buckle receiver. The top piece is wedged at the end of the receiver and the back wall. This stiffens it up so he can buckle the seat belt by himself. We as adults would normally hold the buckle with one hand while inserting the buckle in with the other. When yer in a car seat...makes it kind of impossible to reach down there and do both...hence my mod! It's almost like the front seat buckle receivers...

Created a quick table support fer him to put things on...like an iPad, food, or books. Don't have to worry about him dropping it when it gits too heavy on some drives or if he falls asleep when he's super tired. Made it from some more Coroplast stuffed in the passenger seat pocket and a laptop support from IKEA fer $4. The laptop support just hooks into the Coroplast and is supported by the car seat. The tray is easy to remove to allow him access in/out. The tray is stored between the center console and the passenger seat. I just have to make sure the passenger seat is adjusted back far enough fer him to set it up.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60150176/

The dual cup and accessory holder is easily removed as it has screw holes that allow it to be lifted up off the screws that I screwed into the side panel. I got the cup holder from Walmart fer about $5. Same one you would find at AutoZone fer $15.

The extra wide window/privacy screen gives him the option of more protection from the bright sun. Got it on sale from Walmart fer $5 each. Put one on both rear windows. It hooks into the top of the side panels.

1998 T-100 SR5 2WD auto, Roadmaster Active suspension, oil catch jar, AC mod, aero cap, lower aero package, 67% grill block
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BamZipPow For This Useful Post:
96Wolf (09-16-2012), ERG80 (09-16-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-06-2012, 04:45 PM
Senior TN Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
That's a sweet setup for the little man!

'97 Extra Cab 3.4 4x4 5sp 102K and counting...
Aisin hubs, Marlin shifter bushings, a few fellow TN member mods, and lots of elbow grease.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SC T100 For This Useful Post:
96Wolf (09-16-2012), BamZipPow (06-06-2012)
#3 Old 09-15-2012, 11:53 PM
T100 Road Warrior...

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Talking

Got away from the IKEA laptop stand (it was too bulky to work with) and built my own holder fer the SpinClik desktop iPad stand. I modified the original desktop stand to my own specs by installing a ball mount on the base and replaced the 6" shaft with a 9" shaft. With the new desktop stand...I can easily set the iPad to any angle I need it fer...which made it perfect fer my current setup.

The holder is made from an 12" x 18" Coroplast sign and tied together with zipties. The iPad stand just slips into the pocket and the yellow rope supports the iPad from falling down too far. I still have to fab a more permanent upper support strap instead of yellow rope that I used to do the mock up. Both ball clamps are loosened so it's not too stiff and allows fer movement if needed. Drilled two holes into the holder so the headrest shafts slips over the holder and keeps it in place.

The primary purpose of this mod is to keep my son's head facing forward instead of leaning forward/down to see the iPad in his lap (not good in case of an accident).

My son knows to how to adjust the seat with the step pad so it shouldn't be a problem to git the seat just right...

1998 T-100 SR5 2WD auto, Roadmaster Active suspension, oil catch jar, AC mod, aero cap, lower aero package, 67% grill block
The Following User Says Thank You to BamZipPow For This Useful Post:
96Wolf (09-16-2012)
#4 Old 09-16-2012, 11:58 AM
Senior TN Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Nice work there zip Man that boy of yours is getting big!!! Great ideas there. I will have to keep these in mind when my lil guy gets a big bigger. awesome as usual

06 Ford F-150 5.4L 2x4 Super Crew
Sold: 1996 T-100 3.4L 2x4 In Family since new, Still is. 130k
The Following User Says Thank You to 96Wolf For This Useful Post:
BamZipPow (09-16-2012)
#5 Old 09-19-2012, 11:57 AM
T100 Road Warrior...

Garage
(Thread Starter)
After playing around with the holder, it was just too bulky and cumbersome.

I'm now looking at using a TV wall mount as a side mount instead of going with something that's based on the passenger seat. There were too many variables fer him to adjust to with the seat based holder.

I'll build my own custom support so I'm not drilling holes into the interior panels. Gonna use the seat belt floor bolt as my bottom fastener and the rear seat forward hand hold screw fer the upper fastener. Between these two points I'll try a 1"x2" wood strip to fasten the wall mount to. This will allow the mount to pivot out of the way when he needs to git in/out as well as allowing him to easily adjust the position that best fits his needs.

The mount looks pretty similar to this...

Piccies of the install to follow...

#6 Old 09-21-2012, 09:31 PM
T100 Road Warrior...

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Talking

Ended up screwing a 1" slotted angle strip to the interior panel. With the slotted strip, I can easily adjust the TV mount up or down as my son's requirements grow. Don't know how well this setup will work fer driving/flying games...but he's not into those at the moment.

With the SpinClik quick release system, I can easily remove the iPad from the mount with a simple press of the release tab.

Piccies...

SpinClik cleat mounted...

Easy as pie to adjust...

Stored behind the seat belt...

Can be easily adjusted forward/backwards/up/down/left/right, tilted...and rotated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > T-100 Forum