HELP! removing door lock assembly on 96 T100 - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
T-100 Forum Discussion forum for the short-lived but extremely popular Toyota T-100 model.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 11-12-2012, 01:30 AM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
HELP! removing door lock assembly on 96 T100

I just recently got some door lock assemblies from a salvage yard and i dont understand how you even get the assembly out! i have all but the one large rod connected to the outside door handle disconnected from the assembly but im still not sure how it actually pulls out there is plastic molding all around it protecting it do you have to remove the track for the window in order to get it out?
Please guys im desperate im trying to fix this for my mom because her doors are rattling like crazy. If any one needs pictures to illustrate what im talking about please let me know.
THANKS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-12-2012, 02:52 AM
T100 Road Warrior...

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Thanked 2,287 Times in 1,854 Posts
Garage
Yes...a piccie would help on what yer trying to do.

You don't have to remove the window...but you do have to roll it up to the top.

The clips (there should be 2) should be easy to unclip from the rods. Once you do that, there should be a 10mm bolt that holds the lock cylinder in place. I can't remember if that has to be removed before you can take the handle out.

1998 T-100 SR5 2WD auto, Roadmaster Active suspension, oil catch jar, AC mod, aero cap, lower aero package, 67% grill block
#3 Old 11-12-2012, 09:24 AM
Senior TN Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
The doors rattling may not have anything to do with the lock assembly/handles. However, once you disconnect the rods, there is one or two bolts holding the lock assembly to the door. It should pull right off once the bolt/bolts are removed. If you want to remove the entire handle assembly, two bolts hold the handle in. Once removed (and all the rods are disconnected) you simply pull the handle out.

Rattling doors can be other things as well. If the weather stripping around the door is bad, that can lead to rattles, as well as the latch mechanism that holds the door shut.

There were a few threads about this issue recently, and there are either replacement parts or bolts to tighten to firm the doors up. Do a search and let us know what you find.

'97 Extra Cab 3.4 4x4 5sp 102K and counting...
Aisin hubs, Marlin shifter bushings, a few fellow TN member mods, and lots of elbow grease.
#4 Old 11-13-2012, 02:17 PM
New TN User

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey, the quick fix on my rattling doors was to flip the strike over. (found in this forum, thanks!) It was worn from lack of lubrication over the years.
The doors still rattle on the big bumps, but a lot less now. I think new gaskets could eliminate the problem, but am hesitant to even price it out as it is a dealer item and could be worth more than the truck!
#5 Old 11-13-2012, 02:39 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Is not difficult, you don't have to remove to entire window track. First of all roll your window all the way up.
Then remove door panel carefully.
Third remove all bolts and rods holding the door lock assembly carefully, you do not want to bend those rods. They have plastic braces all you have to do is grab the plastic that surrounds the rods and push them out, they are kind of c c-lamps. After that use some pliers to carefully push the rod out of the plastic ring part on the lock assembly.
Once you freed the door lock assembly completely look down on the door other will be a bolt at the bottom maybe more than one. That holds the bottom part of the window track in place remove it. And carefully wiggle the bad door lock assembly down and under the window track without bending the window track, is not difficult but you still want to be careful and avoid bending it, you will have to push on it a little bit and play with the assembly in different positions to get it out. But remember it should not be too hard. Then just get it out and bam! Now install is the reverse order. I would put the screws first on the new lock assembly as that makes it easier to install the rods.

I might have skipped some steps or was too generic but is not hard just look at the inside of the door and everything is held by bolts and relatively easy to figure out. I sent you this info yesterday on email this is a just in case.
#6 Old 05-04-2013, 10:20 AM
New TN User

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My doors rattle also and with no adjustment on the striker to my amazment, I flipped mine over which seemed to helped some ? The cure here would be to mill in a slot for both the screw shank/head for some adjust ability.

My left door won't open with the key so took the tumbler to a lock smith for a $25 fix.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > T-100 Forum