How to tighten side view mirrors - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > T-100

T-100 Discussion forum for the short-lived but extremely popular Toyota T-100 model.

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2010, 01:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
New TN User

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View mybrohshi5's Photo Gallery
How to tighten side view mirrors

Does anyone know how to tighten the actual mirror part of the side mirrors on a 1998 T100?

They are power mirrors.

I notice two screws on the bottom side of the mirror but both are as tight as possible.

I heard on some other cars you can pop off the actual mirror part and tighten some screws/bolts in there to better hold the mirror. Does anyone know if this is the same for the T100?

My two side mirrors have just come incredibly loose (from my 4 rockford fosgate 12's) so when i am just driving and not even listening to music they move like crazy and it makes them very hard to see cars behind me etc.

Thanks for any info. Its greatly appreciated
mybrohshi5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2010, 08:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior TN Member

Gameroom cash: $566135
View 96Wolf's Photo Gallery
I too would be interested in this. My drivers side mirror has a rattle in it. Mine are manual mirrors. Hope someone can chime in. I would say that you will have to take them apart to see what is going on. My bet is that the plastic pieces that are used to adjust them are worn. And to fix this, more then likely means new mirrors.... but i dont' know either
Old 07-24-2010, 08:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
New TN User

Thanks 96wolf

I was thinking i may just need new mirrors but didnt wanna spend $200 bucks if i didnt have to. I need to get my oil changed soon so i will be at the toyota dealer hopefully sometime this week and i will ask a mechanic there but im hoping someone who knows will reply on here first
Old 07-25-2010, 12:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior TN Member

Gameroom cash: $566135
View 96Wolf's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mybrohshi5 View Post
Thanks 96wolf

I was thinking i may just need new mirrors but didnt wanna spend $200 bucks if i didnt have to. I need to get my oil changed soon so i will be at the toyota dealer hopefully sometime this week and i will ask a mechanic there but im hoping someone who knows will reply on here first

No problem, I hope that it all works out for ya. New mirrors would fix it , but you hate to spend that kinda money. I know I sure do. Let me know how it turns out. Hopefully its something that can be fixed.
Old 07-29-2010, 09:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
New TN User

View stav's Photo Gallery
I have the same problem with my drivers side mirror. It has also been shot by a bb gun so there is a crack as well.
stav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 05:24 AM   #6 (permalink)
T100 Road Warrior...

Gameroom cash: $1452310
Thanked 2,188 Times in 1,772 Posts
View BamZipPow's Photo Gallery
Fer all who've posted...

What part of the mirror is actually loose? Is it the glass part or the frame of the mirror (not the housing)? If it's the glass part, you can probably add some 5 minute epoxy to stabilize it in the mirror frame. If it's the mirror frame, you'll have to disassemble the mirror and see what's loose.

On my 1993 T-100 (manual mirrors), it was the the mirror glass that was loose and the epoxy did the job. It's best to take the mirror off so the epoxy isn't fighting gravity to setup. Yes...you'll have to take the side panel off to git to the 3 bolts that hold the mirror on but if you want a good setup...that's what you gotta do.
mybrohshi5 (07-30-2010)
Old 07-30-2010, 11:07 AM   #7 (permalink)
New TN User

The housing that is attached to the truck is fine. not loose at all.

Its the actual glass part. So for example my mirrors shake like crazy when my bass hits. Then when im driving and my stereo is off the mirrors still shake just from the road vibration im assuming (very annoying).

I dont think i wanna use epoxy cause my mirrors are automatic so i still want to be able to adjust them ya know. But if you used the epoxy behind the glass and it still allowed the mirrors to be adjust could you please explain further?

I know the 3 bolts you are talking about to get the mirror off and then how to you remove the glass from the frame to put the epoxy behind it?
Old 07-30-2010, 11:22 AM   #8 (permalink)
T100 Road Warrior...

Gameroom cash: $1452310
Thanked 2,188 Times in 1,772 Posts
View BamZipPow's Photo Gallery
There's a small frame that encapsulates the mirror glass. You should be able to shim the glass and the frame and see if it stops shaking. If it does, then you can put just a few dabs of epoxy on the front side between the glass and the frame without taking the mirror apart.
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > T-100