T100 High Beam Headlights Don't Work - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > T-100

T-100 Discussion forum for the short-lived but extremely popular Toyota T-100 model.

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2004, 05:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
New TN User

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View mtnpastor's Photo Gallery
T100 High Beam Headlights Don't Work

Whenever I switch to high beam, the headlights go out completely. The high beams still work when I pull back on the switch (you know, the feature that allows you to quickly flash someone). The low beams work just fine. At first this problem was intermittent, but now I cannot get the high beams to come on at all. I was thinking this might be a relay problem, but the only headlight relay I can find is in the fuse box in the engine compartment and it appears to be good. Before I tear into the steering column, I thought I would try to get some advice. Would appreciate any help I can get on this. I have a 1994 T100 standard cab with the 3.0L V6 engine and manual transmission. Thanks to anyone who can help.
mtnpastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2004, 06:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
J Dubb

View TRDTURD's Photo Gallery
Sounds like a problem in your switch on the steering column. You should be able to puchase a new switch and try it out. If thats not the problem you should be able to return it.
TRDTURD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 09:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
New TN User

View TaCoMa974x4's Photo Gallery
my 1994 toyota does the same thing!!!! it happen after i changed my factory lights to the kind that will take actual bulbs. they cracked cheap things. i replaced with reg lights but Halogen. but mine does the same thing. i dont drive it much, nor use bright lights. but i would liek to know the same answer . i might want to fix it one day. lol
Old 11-25-2004, 03:30 AM   #4 (permalink)
New TN User

View garpoonga's Photo Gallery
If you turn on the headlights and then use high beams do they work ? When toyota first went to daytime running lights everything came on full, but to use high beams you must manualy turn on the switch.
garpoonga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 10:56 AM   #5 (permalink)
New TN User

No what we are saying is. when you push the lever back. your headlights go totally off. now when u pull the lever forward. like if u wanted to flash your lights, then the high beams work. but u have to hold the lever forward the whole time.
Old 11-25-2004, 11:20 AM   #6 (permalink)
New TN User

View mtnpastor's Photo Gallery
Thanks

This was my first time to try to solve a problem using this forum. I really appreciate everyone's input. When I get time, I guess I'll have to dig into the steering column, find the appropriate switch and either clean or replace it. Wesley, I'll let you know what I find out. Hopefully, together we can solve our problem. And to garpoonga, I do not have running lights. The way my switch works is rather intuitive. When the switch is in the rear resting position (toward the driver), that is the low beam position. The low beams work fine. Pushing the switch to the forward resting position (away from the driver) should turn on the high beams. When I first started having trouble, I pushed the switch forward and was startled to have no lights. On our windy mountain roads, this is rather disconcerting. However, if I would switch back to low beams and then switch back to high beams they would often come on. However, the problem kept occurring more frequently until finally I could not get the high beams to work at all when the switch was pushed to the forward position. However, there is a feature that I really like on this light switch. When the switch is in the low beam position, the driver can apply pressure on the switch toward himself. The switch is spring loaded and if you release pressure the switch will return to the low beam position. This feature allows the activation of the high beams for brief flashes and works whether the lights are turned on or off. It's a great feature for flashing oncoming vehicles with their brights on or if you want to get someone's attention during the daytime. Will let you guys know what I find out. Thanks again for the input.
mtnpastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 05:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
New TN User

Mine did the same thing. wa few flips and they would work. but it went down hill faat! they completely stopped working. i never even tried to fix mine. i am not a high beam person. i figured it was something i did when i installed the aftermarket headlights. becuse i bought the halo versions. like on the new BMW's with teh blue ring around them. i had to tap into the wires to make that work. but maybe it wasnt my fault I am putting a 3.4 back in my truck where it blew up. but if i find out what is making our switches do this i wil llet you know have a great thanksgiving

Last edited by TaCoMa974x4; 11-25-2004 at 05:44 PM.
TaCoMa974x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2004, 11:53 AM   #8 (permalink)
New TN User

View 200kT100's Photo Gallery
Troubleshooting high beams

If you go to techinfo.toyota.com, you can research the factory developed method for troubleshooting electrical problems. I printed almost all of the factory repair manual for my T100 out from this site.

If you do decide to use this site, be prepared. The cost for access is $10 per day or $50 per month. The stuff I printed out represented about a ream and a half of paper (750 pages). A high-speed internet connection is a big help. Don't be intimidated by the size of the database; it took me a good hour to get a handle on the structure of the manual and how Toyota classifies components. As I got into it, I decided that the way to deal with the task was to print as much as I could handle, then go back through it. If I remember, the component you want to look for will be under Body Electrical; I think it's identified as a "multi-switch".

NOTE: The factory repair manual is NOT very user-friendly; a lot of the directions are vague OR you must cross reference to a different section of the manual for help with a component that must be removed before you can work on the component you're actually having trouble with. That being said, there are other manuals (like Chilton and Haynes) that publish repair manuals, but those manuals could cover several model years; they can be even more confusing than the factory manual (just have to read them very carefully). THAT being said, I have had a lot of fun knucklebusting on my FJ-40 and my T100 (no so much in winter, but what can you do?). Good luck, buy good gear and try to find the fun in it.
200kT100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 08:30 PM   #9 (permalink)
New TN User

View Bazza_rips's Photo Gallery
All Fixed! and it didn't cost me a cent

Greetings all, thought i might let you guys know that i had this exact same problem on my ae101 corrola. The problem is a dirty contact inside the switch. sorry forgot to take piccies

Here's how i fixed it:

1. remove the steering wheel. (make sure the wheel is straight before you take it off so that way you put it back on straight)

2. Undo the 2 screws holding the top half of the plastic surrounding the steering colomn and remove. Undo the 3 remaining screws that hold the bottom half and remove.

3. Undo the 4 screws holding the indicator/windscreen washer stalks and slide the assembly off the steering column.

4. on the back of the stalk assembly, on the right hand side there is 4 screws holding the switch for the indicators/headlights.undo these and remove the switch.

5. Once the switch in removed undo the 4 clips holding the casing of the switch itself on and remove. the switch for the indicators is loose inside here don't loose it!

6.inside you sill see some flexable metal prongs with contacts on them. get a nail file and clean as many of these as you can get it to, paying special attention to any that are not a nice shiny silver colour.

7. reaasemble and enjoy
Bazza_rips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 04:04 PM   #10 (permalink)
DNR
New TN User

View DNR's Photo Gallery
Thank you for the good info
DNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 02:46 PM   #11 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View Brando8844's Photo Gallery
I have the same problem
high beams finally stopped working, but if you pull the lever they will come on. I figured it was a switch.
but
I have an airbag in my steering wheel, How can I remove the steering wheel without damaging/deploying the air bag?
I'm tired of not having high beams, I usually drive down back roads and really need the high beams.

could use some advice
Brando8844 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 11:08 AM   #12 (permalink)
Official TN Member

bump
Old 10-23-2008, 12:09 PM   #13 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View greent's Photo Gallery
First center the steering wheel, then disconnect the battery. Let the truck set for several minutes, so the computer can shut down. On each side of the steering wheel you may find a small hole, or plug(depenging on what wheel you have), You will need an Apex driver to remove the two screws that retain the air bag. Once the air bag is loose, you need to disconnect the connector from the air bag to the steering wheel. You will also notice what looks like a self rewinding electrical cord. This needs to be disconnected, and left as found. This is what allows the steering whell to turn, but keeps the air bag connected to power. Mark the end of the steering post and wheel(so they go back to gether the same way), then remove the nut. You will probably need a steering whel puller. They are available at most auto parts stores.

Good luck
greent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 07:08 AM   #14 (permalink)
New TN User

View rjmort's Photo Gallery
I had the same thing happen to me last summer. Some dirt and grime got in the contact over years of use. I used some electronic contact cleaner. It took a few applications but the high beams don't go out anymore when I switch from low to high beams. Make sure that the type you use will not damage plastics.
rjmort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 03:43 PM   #15 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Thanks for the help guys! I think like I can do it. I'll give it a shot this Sunday. Thanks again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > T-100