Toyota Nation Forum banner

2008 Tacoma A/C Airflow Restricted

4K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Matt W 
#1 ·
Hello,
I have a 2008 Tacoma access cab pickup. The local dealer replaced my blower motor and flow sensor yesterday. The old blower motor quit suddenly. I had replaced the sensor about 8 months ago when my fan speed switch only worked on high. The tech said I installed it backwards, but when I looked at his install, mine was exactly like his. (the clip on the wiring harness faces out, not against the firewall).

After the new install, the airflow is half to a third of the old blower. I took out the fan today at my shop, it does appear to be blowing ok, but it is hard to tell since it is pulling air through the center and expelling it outward near the metal housing next to the plastic fan blade.

All directional flow servos seem to be changing ok. i.e. it goes from floor to dash to defrost ok. The recirculate setting doesn't seem to increase flow. The tech thought I could have a blockage in the ducts from some mouse activity a few years ago. (I left it parked in my garage for 10 days while on a trip two years ago. Some animal filled the air intake, the wiper tray, and the air intake box for the engine, with hulled walnuts I had setting in my garage. Nothing appeared to get past the cabin air filter at that time. I also always keep a cabin air filter installed.)

I don't buy that explanation as it was working great until the motor burned out. It was blowing unrestricted air through all ducts.

They want $400 min. to take out the dash to go on a fact finding expedition. Who knows how much the final cost will be.

Any suggestions? Could the abrupt burn out of the blower motor be caused by a sudden restriction? How likely is it that a flow directing door has stuck partially open / closed and is causing the flow restriction?

Thanks for any help and suggestions.

Jerry

See less See more
#2 ·
Taking the dash apart is going to be a majorly $$ fishing expedition. I would suggest pulling the fan, crawling around with a flashlight, and maybe investing $175 in this.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/General-Tools-Instruments-DCiS1-iBorescope/dp/B00DGTOG34[/ame]

If nothing else, you get a fun tool out of it.

But yeah, not buying any of the dealers story.

Reactions: gac12
#3 ·
Thanks for the suggestion about the remote camera. I will check with my auto parts store about renting or borrowing one first.

Another question I have regarding the blower output. When the fan is outside the air handler housing, there is little air flow coming off the outside of the spinning fan blades. What air flow I feel is exiting the fan at the rim next to the metal housing of the fan motor. Even that feels very weak considering the speed of the rotating fan cage. Does the fan have to be in the air handler to create positive air flow?

I was thinking about buying a fan from my auto parts store to see if the dealer installed fan is defective. It costs $65 from my parts store, but probably non-returnable if it is not the problem. If the dealer installed fan is defective, I would return the part and expect a refund of the $150 they charged me for the fan.

Thanks

#4 ·
When the fan is outside the air handler housing, there is little air flow coming off the outside of the spinning fan blades....... Does the fan have to be in the air handler to create positive air flow?
I would think so. A squirrel cage fan pulls air in at its center and forces it outward through its vanes. In free space, it will simply churn the air around it. It needs to be inside its housing in order to create a strong airflow.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.