Toyota Nation Forum banner

Toyo Guard?

12K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  garc84 
#1 ·
I'm about to pull the trigger on 4DR, TRD Sport #2, Super White Tacoma - yyeeaaahhh... Have one question about "toyogaurd" = $699.00 extra. Is that worth it? I see in the description what you get with that but is it all marketing stuff or is it ligit stuff?

Thanks for clarifying,

TD

#3 · (Edited)
I see what it is:

" Other car makers sell directly to dealers. Toyota sells through regional distributors to dealers, adding a level of cost, and fees. Toyota would love to ditch these middlemen, but they can't. Here in Florida and the Southeast states, we're served by Southeast Toyota Distributors, started by Jim Moran in the 1960's to sell Toyota in the US. He was already famous in Chicago as owner of Courtesy Ford. He also owns JM Lexus, #1 Lexus dealer in the US, where I bought my SC300. He was also responsible for coaxing Toyota to create Lexus, and formed AutoNation with Dolphins owner Wayne Huizenga, who founded Blockbuster Video. Southeast Toyota sells to over 160 dealers in the Southeast and represents 20% of Toyota's business. Due to these distributors, your Toyota may have useless Port Installed Options(PIO's) you may not want. Southeast Toyota adds the overpriced $250 "environmental coating" in the wheel wells called "Toyoguard" on most Toyota's, including Camry, Supra, Celica and MR2. So you are stuck with it, and other wasted admin fees. They tack on huge ad fees, too. Always ask to see the original Toyota invoice to verify these fees."

You may just be stuck with it seeing how Toyota has to do business with it's dealers in Florida.

#4 ·
I don't know how they decide here in the southeast which vehicles get the toyoguard package and which don't. I managed to get mine without and if you look at vehicle stock in the southeast you'll see some trucks that have it and some that don't. If you can avoid it you'd save yourself the $699 and use that for some nice addons.

#5 ·
elwinna said:
I don't know how they decide here in the southeast which vehicles get the toyoguard package and which don't. I managed to get mine without and if you look at vehicle stock in the southeast you'll see some trucks that have it and some that don't. If you can avoid it you'd save yourself the $699 and use that for some nice addons.
Well you had to wait a while for yours. So most likely SE Distributors never got their hands on yours.

I bet the only way to avoid the "toyoguard" it is to put an order in for something uncommon to the SE region. Never let the Southeast Toyota Distributors have a chance to install crap you don't want. Of course that means waiting a few months.... is that time worth the $700 to you? I don't know if it is to me, as much as it sucks.

#6 ·
So here is the package... So if you don't have toyoguard then you get NO roadside assistance? correct? Also if you don't have toyoguard then you get no "loaner" when you get the car serviced? correct? That's funny they make you pay for that stuff!!!

ToyoGuard package:
  • Roadside Assistance Program
  • No Charge for First Oil and Filter Change at any Southeast Toyota Dealership
  • Vehicle VIN Etch Glass Product Protection Program
  • Exterior Paint Sealant, Undercoating and Interior Protection Application
  • Rental Car Assistance for Warranty Repairs

#7 ·
All you have to do to avoid it is have them find your truck while it's still at the port and request that all that worthless crap not be added (same for Extra Mile Option Packages and similar)...that's what I'm doing for my truck. I get to select the exact truck I want, still negotiate a price I find acceptable, and it still may only take an extra 1-3 weeks (depending on how fussy you are and what exactly you want) to have the truck arrive. I would say that a week or two is definitely worth saving $700 or more.

Good luck though!

#8 · (Edited)
BooneGuard package:
  • Roadside Assistance Program (It's called AAA, $48)
  • No Charge for First Oil and Filter Change at any Southeast Toyota Dealership (Got first one free from my dealer without paying them for some special package)
  • Vehicle VIN Etch Glass Product Protection Program (Useless)
  • Exterior Paint Sealant, Undercoating and Interior Protection Application (Useless and overpriced. Sealant - Klasse AIO and Glaze = $30. Scotchgard = $10. Undercoating done professionally = ~$100)
  • Rental Car Assistance for Warranty Repairs (If they keep my truck for warranty repairs, overnight, you best believe I am getting a free loaner.)
Unless you can scratch that crap out of your contract, they are screwing you for at least $500.

#10 ·
When I purchased my truck, it had Toyo Guard on the sticker. I asked the salesman to take it off because I didn't want it. long story short, in order to make the sale the dealer knocked off the cost of the Toyo Guard, but I still have the road side assistance and free rental. You have to dicker with them. It's your money being spent, not theirs. The salesman said he wanted to "buy" my business, but I'm the one spending the money. Go Figure.

#11 · (Edited)
Toyo Guard warning...the first truck I looked at had it and the knuckle head that applied the paint sealant must of had a heavy hand because it looked like they buffed right through the clear coat it also had undercoating oversprayed on the paint....so if you buy it don't sign until you can look the truck over in day light...the truck I ended up buying also has toyo guard and it took a lot of haggling to get it off the price....I see you live in Tampa so having the Vin numbers itched in the glass might be worth it.

#12 ·
boone said:
I see what it is:

" Other car makers sell directly to dealers. Toyota sells through regional distributors to dealers, adding a level of cost, and fees. Toyota would love to ditch these middlemen, but they can't. Here in Florida and the Southeast states, we're served by Southeast Toyota Distributors, started by Jim Moran in the 1960's to sell Toyota in the US. He was already famous in Chicago as owner of Courtesy Ford. He also owns JM Lexus, #1 Lexus dealer in the US, where I bought my SC300. He was also responsible for coaxing Toyota to create Lexus, and formed AutoNation with Dolphins owner Wayne Huizenga, who founded Blockbuster Video. Southeast Toyota sells to over 160 dealers in the Southeast and represents 20% of Toyota's business. Due to these distributors, your Toyota may have useless Port Installed Options(PIO's) you may not want. Southeast Toyota adds the overpriced $250 "environmental coating" in the wheel wells called "Toyoguard" on most Toyota's, including Camry, Supra, Celica and MR2. So you are stuck with it, and other wasted admin fees. They tack on huge ad fees, too. Always ask to see the original Toyota invoice to verify these fees."

You may just be stuck with it seeing how Toyota has to do business with it's dealers in Florida.
we also get nailed with a $545 administration fee

#13 ·
I purchased (didn't really know I could say no) the Toyoguard Elite. Its mainly a southeast region program no one any where else has ever heard of it. I asked if I could still use the program when I moved to Washington state and I was reassured that there would be no problem. After I moved the Toyota dealership here wont let me use it and said I had to contact the dealership in GA (Jay auto now Rivertown in Columbus GA.) They never answer their phone or they transfer you 4 or 5 times because no one there understands how the program works they just sell it. Finally when you do get to someone who says they can help they take down all your information and then say they will call you back later that day, they never call back. I have dealt with this for the last 2 years having to essentially pay out of pocket for something I already paid for. All these problems and all I want is an oil change, think of how difficult it would be if you had any real problems with your car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.