Toyota Nation Forum banner

Sun Damaged Headlight Lenses

12K views 36 replies 25 participants last post by  BlackBelt 
#1 ·
I know there's lots of discussion on here about this subject but honestly its hard to sift thru all of it. Can someone just recommend what they think is the best restoration kit for a 2006 Tacoma? Would Meguires be the best, or good choice?

See pic for extent of damage.

Thank you very much,
Scott

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
I have tried two products:

1. Turtle Wax Lens Restorer Kit
This used a wet towelette with a chemical on it that seemed to wipe off all the brown quite easily. I wish they sold them separately because they worked well. The kit also comes with a new UV protectant to wipe on afterward. I would not use that part of it and instead use a different protectant.

2. Turtle Wax restorer/protectant all in one liquid.
This does not remove the brown oxidation(?) like the wipe in the other kit. Takes more scrubbing, but does work...I think. Inside of the lenses appear dirty at the tops from (I'm guessing) off gassing from the BHLM paint from a couple years ago.

I think the first product/kit is worth it just for how well it worked. Fair warning though...only the tops of my headlights were browning. I'm not sure if the towelette would be enough for two full headlights in a condition shown above.

Reactions: dward3
#5 ·
I used the Meguiars Heavy Duty headlight restoration kit on my gf's 2000 Bonneville, the headlights were worse than yours and they came out looking stunning. It took some elbow grease to sand out the original damage, but the latter steps were easy with a polisher on the end of a drill. That was two years ago, and regular application of the protectant it came with kept them looking that way until I sold it this spring. I've not used any other product so I don't know that it's the best out there, but it did the job and I can recommend it.

#6 · (Edited)
I used a 3M Headlight Restoration Kit - designed to be used with a hand drill. Comes with everything you need to polish out even some severe oxidation - sanding disks, buffing pad, lens sealer, even tape to protect the surrounding area. Worked well on my 2002 Corolla - headlamps were so badly oxidized, couldn't even see the reflector. Took about an hour each side - the results were staggering. Couldn't polish out deep scratches, stone dings - but everything else was crystal clear.

Reactions: Scott Oakley
#11 · (Edited)
Used DEET

I have an 86 truck and the rear yellow turn lenses have oxidation haze badly. I tried all the plastic buff and restore and they worked, but the oxidation haze came back with months. They all mechanically remove the haze and some lens material to give a buffed look.

I read that using OFF with DEET bug spray will clean them. It chemically cleans the surface and it worked better than the commercial cleaners which mechanically cleans them

Spray it on a clean white rag or sock and wipe the lens. Took about 4 applications to get the yellow turn lenses looking like new- smooth and shinny. Best part it is stays like that for over 6 months. I touch up twice a year. Can't see any damage to the lenses.

Have not tried it on clear headlight plastic lenses. I did wipe the whole taillight assy that has a clear backup light lens and no ill affect, but it wasn't hazed over to begin with.

Took a chance as all others didn't last long. Just what worked for my need.

#12 ·
I used the 3M Headlight Restoration Kit No: 39008 on my Daughter-in-law's van. Probably the same as fishexpo101 did. She had a 6 year old van with lense covers as bad as yours. The kit does require a drill but includes the adapter, precut discs, and polish applicator. It took me about 1-1/2 - 2 hrs per lens cover. They came out great except for some dings and scratches. That was 2 years ago and they are still holding up

#13 ·
I don't have any recommendations on which cleaning product(s) to use as someone had done it for me with a DA buffer and I don't know what they used. But what I will suggest is installing clear paint protection film (PPF) on the headlights once they are cleaned. It will protect them against UV rays so that they don't discolor again. If you don't apply the film, it will only be a matter of time before the UV rays discolor the headlights again.

I did the PPF install myself and let me warn you - Tacoma headlights are one of the more difficult headlights to apply film onto because of the shape/curve. A pro installer confirmed this. The thicker film, which I used, is even tougher to bend and shape. I used a heat gun which helped tremendously but even then, it was difficult. Mine are less than perfect. If I had to do it over again, I would have paid a few extra dollars and had a professional install the film.

#15 ·
I had a set of headlights sprayed with some 2K clear by a body shop, they look fantastic and should last like clear coat on any modern car. MUCH more durable than anything you can wipe on, I also found (before I cleared them) that Meguiars M21 paint sealer worked very well to keep them from re-hazing if it was applied regularly, every 3 weeks to 1 month. It takes very little product so a small bottle will last a long time, it was more durable and seemed to 'stick' better than other waxes I'd used.

#16 · (Edited)
#19 ·
Can't speak to clear headlight plastic oxidation, but on my 86 truck the rear orange turn lenses oxidized badly. Tried the kits which are nothing more then fine polishing compounds and they worked but the oxidation cam back within months.

Read about using insect repellent with DEET. Spray it on a white cloth (old tennis sock) and wipe the lens like cleaning a window. Did it about 3 to 4 times and the lenses look like new. Clear and shinny. It's now been 6 months and still looking like new. Guessing the DEET chemical melts the oxidation off and leaves the remaining surface more harder like new to resist oxidation. It's at the micro level so your not going to melt a hole. It not that strong as you put it on your skin. Those kits mechanically removes material like liquid sandpaper so just a different way of doing it. I went and wiped all my plastic lenses just for the hell of it.

I'd give it a shot as it's far easier, quicker, and last longer from my experience

#20 ·
#21 ·
I personally think the 3M resto kit works best.
as I've tried a few others... but they weren't as good IMO.

Be sure to utilize a UV protectant/coating after the polishing.
As that will help reduce the sun's UV degradation.

Besides just the sun's UV torture...
condensation or sprinkler overspray (and drying in the sun)
causes the headlights to yellow or fog more quickly.

#22 · (Edited)
I would never use one of those kits that removes plastic by sanding. I've always used Mothers Mag and Aluminum Polish. It cleans that stuff off quickly unless the discoloration is really heavy. All that is needed is a small jar of Mothers, a clean cotton cloth like an old undershirt, and about 20 to 30 minute of time. Just did mine yesterday. There were both fogged over but not dark yellow.

Attachments

#27 ·
Thanks for bringing up that product. I put it on my '09 and loved the stuff. Not only was it crystal clear but protected the lenses from being sand blasted and rock chipped. I'm too cheap to pay for the stuff to be put on by a pro and they sent me a complementary kit to try a DIY. I found it was a bit difficult for my skill level but got it done. It worked best for me on a hot day and otherwise heating the film real good with a hair dryer. As a first-timer, I had some issues with irregular surfaces and strange contours.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.