Toyota Nation Forum banner

Aggresive Tires

30K views 171 replies 37 participants last post by  Dark Taco 
#1 ·
Im looking for new tires. Even though my BFG's A/T arent done yet. Im looking ahead to see what my next tire will be. Im looking for a more aggressive look. So if someone can post pics or link to nice looking tred or beefy tires, that would be great. But i dont wana roll with 33's Im looking to stay at 265/70r17 or something before the 285's. I cant find the Goodyear M/T on this white tacoma i think he had 275/70/r16. It looked really good. Well hope you guys can help I did search but i couldnt find much.

So far this is what im leaning towards. Cooper Discoverer STT. Thanks to Adventure North.

See less See more
#153 ·
hey guys i just bought some 265/75/16 BFG All Terrains. didnt put them on yet but will post pics as soon as poss. Cant go wrong with BFG AT

#155 · (Edited)
Taco5 said:
Never had much luck with BFG's on any vehicle I had. Especially on the Tacoma.

BTW 05, your PutFile link is not working.
You like the Yoko M/T's do ya. I've heard some pretty good things about them, only real negative things I've heard is that they are soft and wear fast. My Dad has the A/T II's on his truck. They are a real nice tire but they wore out real fast, I was with him the other day helping move some tile and I couldn't help but comment on how loud they were for an AT, they certainly got louder once they wore down, they were not that loud when he got them. It's funny how you don't like the BFG's because my dad has always liked them and commented the other day that after trying a few different brands of tire over the last few years he now wants to go back to BFG and was looking to buy my BFG AT's. He said the Yoko's were nice but won't be going back to the them, or anything else for a while. I have to say my BFG's have been great, best tire I've had yet. Different strokes though I guess eh. I'd like to try something different but man it's hard to give up something you like. I'll most likely go with the Cooper S/T or the Dick Cepek F-C II. I've read some good things about them and they look pretty good so I may give them a shot. We'll see though.

#156 · (Edited)
Adventure North said:
You like the Yoko M/T's do ya. I've heard some pretty good things about them, only real negative things I've heard is that they are soft and wear fast. My Dad has the A/T II's on his truck. They are a real nice tire but they wore out real fast, I was with him the other day helping move some tile and I couldn't help but comment on how loud they were for an AT, they certainly got louder once they wore down, they were not that loud when he got them. It's funny how you don't like the BFG's because my dad has always liked them and commented the other day that after trying a few different brands of tire over the last few years he now wants to go back to BFG and was looking to buy my BFG AT's. He said the Yoko's were nice but won't be going back to the them, or anything else for a while. I have to say my BFG's have been great, best tire I've had yet. Differnt stroke though I guess. I'd like to try something different but man it's hard to give up something you like. I'll most likely go with the Cooper S/T or the Dick Cepek F-C II. I've read some good things about them and they look pretty good so I may give them a shot. We'll see though.
Yea, I think if I ever did need to replace the Yokos I'd go back with them. Like you said it's hard to give up something you like. These tires still look as good as the day I put them on and have been real good in the mud/rain/snow. I had looked at Cepeks a long time ago when I had my Ranger and every tire I looked at that had a few hundred miles on them just looked so worn so I eventually went with Mickey Thompson Baja Claws on the Ranger. Didn't go back to them on the Taco because the ones I wanted did not come in the 285s. :disappoin Don't get me wrong, BFG makes a good tires but I never had much luck with any BFG I had.

#168 ·
Tire Selection

Well, this is my first real post, but being a bit of a tire geek I can't help but throw out my opinion...

I can't speak for what would work as the best tire for the Tacoma, but I can leave you with observations that I have made at work. We spend more time operating on rough, unimproved, rock strewn roads and trails than any tire or vehicle manufacturer intends for their commercially available products. I'll just say that we go through MT tires like someone with the stomach flu goes through toilet paper. We generally drive 3/4 ton HD trucks with significant weight on the back, or 3/4 ton SUVs (mostly deisels). There is a lot of fast driving going on, too.

For the most part, we run the Goodyear MTRs, but since last year we started getting more of the BFG MTs. The GYs treads usually start chunking off pretty fast, depending on who has been driving the truck. The BFGs seem to stay together a bit better, wearing pretty uniformly to replacement, whereas the GYs will have to be replaced sooner because the tread is missing and showing cords...

As for the AT tires from both sides, they work as advertised. I don't have as much experience with them because they are on a smaller portion of the fleet. It seems that the GYs and BFGs are pretty even in this category.

That's about all I can talk about intelligently on this subject... Hope I didn't put anyone to sleep.:eek::

As far as me, I got my new 07 reg cab 4wd this month. Should be getting my ARE shell in this week, and looking forward to it. It's pretty stock, but I will be doing the cruise control and wiper mod when I scrape the cash together. I'm selling my 88 4wd reg cab (blown head gasket, and I don't care to fix it. They're both sitting in the carport now, ironically they're the same color (not intended- indigo's show the dirt, and I'm lazy about washing)...

#169 ·
So i just came back from my tire shop (American tire). And the guy who balanced my wheels said that the reason im getting vibration is from the type of tire i have. Could this be true?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.