Toyota Nation Forum banner

So you want to add a DRL On/Off switch?... Well, here you go!

37K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  lonestartaco 
#1 · (Edited)
This mod adds an on/off switch to the "factory" DRL (Driving Running Lights) - For those with the "stock/factory" DRL option, or those that applied the "Factory DRL mod" as described in this DIY: http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/t176420.html

In case you're worried, this mod does not affect the "Turn Signal" or "Hazard" lights - Everything will function as expected, and you'll simply have a way to disable/enable DRL on demand, with an On/Off switch.

It was actually simpler than I expected... As shown below, all you have to do is interrupt the DRL signal, which is on the "Light-Green & Red" wire of the DRL harness (harness with 2 plugs on it - Part #82241-04030), which is connected to the DRL-capable relay (Part #81980-35020). Refer to the DIY mentioned above for suplementary installation instructions.

I hope you like this mod as much as I do.
HookEm

P.S.
I used an illuminated "Fog Light" switch, installed on one of the unused in-dash slots.
The two OEM-switch options I can suggest are:
1) Older Tacoma switch: Part#00550-35976 ($6.98)
http://www.rallylights.com/hella/switches_illuminated_rocker.asp

2) 05+ Tacoma switch: you'll need 3 part #'s:
Fog Light Switch - #84160-04010 ($35.88)
Connector Housing - #90980-11090 ($2.63)
Wires for Connector - #82998-12340 ($4.04)
http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/index.cfm?siteid=213747

See less See more
#4 ·
Already done but thanks for the pic's. I intercepted the wire at the turn signal relay (black box shown in your pic) so I did not have to pull the whole assembly from the truck (unless you just did it for the pic's). I really like this mod.

P.S. Same gig for my wife's 07 4runner, FYI

#6 ·
Maybe it's the lack of sleep, but what exactly does this mod do? Does it turn off the DRLs (essentially undoing the mod) so they act like a non-DRL configuration?

Guess I'm trying to figure out why you'd do the DRL mod only to do another mod to disable it.... :whatthe:

It was faster and easer for me to do the 3rd wire mod and leave the headlight knob in the same position all the time. Just need to occasionally back it down one notch after I actually use the headlights, which is probably as often as one would use this switch.

#7 · (Edited)
I'll try to explain...

Maybe it's the lack of sleep, but what exactly does this mod do? Does it turn off the DRLs (essentially undoing the mod) so they act like a non-DRL configuration?

Guess I'm trying to figure out why you'd do the DRL mod only to do another mod to disable it.... :whatthe:
As I said in my post:
This mod adds an on/off switch to the "factory" DRL (Driving Running Lights) - For those with the "stock/factory" DRL option, or those that applied the "Factory DRL mod" as described in this DIY: http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/t176420.html

In case you're worried, this mod does not affect the "Turn Signal" or "Hazard" lights - Everything will function as expected, and you'll simply have a way to disable/enable DRL with an On/Off switch."
Here's the issue I'm trying to address with my mod: Factory DRLs can not be turned OFF, so my mod provides a mechanism to allow you to disable & enable DRL on demand: by using an On/Off switch. That is: If the switch is OFF, the vehicle will operate as if DRL are not installed; if the switch is ON, the vehicle will operate as if DRL are installed... This assumes, of course, that for those that have DRL installed, there may be instances where you would like to turned them OFF for a while (e.g., off-roading during the day), and perhaps back ON at later time.

How's that?
HookEm

#8 ·
Ok I gathered that much.... Why make a switch to turn them off after going to the trouble of ADDING them to the truck? It's like adding them to my car so I can cut the wire, splice in a switch, and make it just like it was before all the work to add it....

#11 ·
Funny, I got more or less the same effect with 2 wires, and didn't need to add another switch. So they come on with the key rather than ebrake, and don't turn off with the headlights.... I like how the look on all the time, and didn't have to wire up a switch to cancel out what I spent $50 and an hour to do... :rolleyes:

Oh, and I can turn them on or off whenever because Toyota conveniently included a switch for them.

Mine:

#19 ·
Thanks for all the great info and photos.

I hate to start with a dumb question, but is this mod (adding the inline switch to disable the DTRL's) only for trucks with the "Always ON DTRL" mod already installed?

My 09 Tacoma does not have the jumper wire referenced in the photo, and the DTRL's go off when the headlights come on.

I just want to be able to disable the DTRL's without disabling the turn signals also.

#20 ·
Adding DTRL on/off switch

Thanks for all the great info and photos.

I hate to start with a dumb question, but is this mod (adding the inline switch to disable the DTRL's) only for trucks with the "Always ON DTRL" mod already installed?

My 09 Tacoma does not have the jumper wire referenced in the photo, and the DTRL's go off when the headlights come on.

I just want to be able to disable the DTRL's without disabling the turn signals also.
My '08 truck did not have DTRL from the factory, so I enabled mine following these instructions: DTRL Install DIY

And, like in your case, my DTRL turn OFF when the headlights are ON.

So, the mod on this thread allows you to add an ON/OFF switch, instead of having the DTRL ON at all times (while headlights are OFF); and it should not affect signal lights.

That is, this mod simply allows you to interrupt the signal going to the "DRL" relay: wire connected to pin5 of the ECU (which has nothing to do with the signal lights)... As shown here:
http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj163/cuernoslargos/drl2.jpg

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.