Toyota Nation Forum banner

Tacoma BS Thread

151K views 834 replies 56 participants last post by  hotajax 
#1 ·
Starting a BS thread for us 2nd Gen guys and gals...in case you didn't figure it out from the thread title.:D

I'll sticky this soon but want to give you a chance to see it before moving it up there.

I know Dark Taco was going to change his oil today, anyone do anything interesting?

#482 · (Edited)
Finally ordered new lug nuts from wheelers on Friday after fighting my oem lugs trying to swap out my alloys for the summer. Ended up having both front wheels corroded to the hub and couldn't get them lose just by kicking. Tried to retorque the OEM lugs until I could get a mallet or something to try to knock them lose, but couldn't even get adequate torque on them due to the socket just spinning due to how beat up the chrome covers were.

I went with the black chrome. I think they will look nice with the dark paint and factory TRD rims!

#483 · (Edited by Moderator)
Ended up having both front wheels corroded to the hub and could get them lose just by kicking. Tried to retorque the OEM lugs until I could get a mallet or something to try to knock them lose, but couldn't even get adequate torque on them due to the socket just spinning due to how beat up the chrome covers were.
I have resorted to painting anti-seize on the back of the rim to prevent sticking to the hub. I had the same thing happen to me, only I really had to knock the snot out of each tire to get them loose. I have to reapply every other tire rotation. I figured better to have to do this than risk a tire change along the high way, only to end up knock the truck off the scissor jack by kicking the tire.

#484 ·
LOF today -- that's lube, oil, & filter for all you young'uns. Also rotated the tires (9/32" tread left on the Michelins) and knocked the dust out of the cabin air filter. Back bumper inserts were looking shabby so they got treated with 303, then did the mirrors & door handles too. Took about a 350 mile road trip yesterday so had lots of bugs to get off the windshield & headlights. Still need to de-bug the grill & front bumper. So nothing special, just a bit of maintenance & spring cleaning. Truck needs a thorough bath but we're in a drought, y'know....

#491 ·
Yeah that does look good. Did you get any of the lugs stuck in the socket after pounding it on? I had one do that to me 7 years ago. I don't recall how I got it out, but I sure remember struggling with it.

#493 · (Edited)
I didn't have any get stuck in the socket. I used a 21 MM to pound on (which is the size I believe they are from the factory) which just smashed the chrome cover tight to the lug underneath, broke the lug loose, and then wiggled the socket free before removing the lug completely. Worked pretty well. The chrome covers were so deformed before I replaced them, the only socket I could get on them was a 22 MM. Which probably contributed to their demise due to the loose fit and rounding corners.

The new lugs I picked up from Wheelers are I believe Gorilla Brand, so they are pretty good quality. It was nice to be able to final torque them with the torque wrench and not have to worry about it slipping and busting up my knuckles. :lol:

Looks good, but at a glance it almost looks like all the lug nuts are missing! >:D

On a somewhat related note, I recently rotated my tires using the same 13/16" spark plug socket that I have always used. Getting tired of the too-tight fit (just on some) so will soon buy a real 21mm six-point. Only been air-wrenched twice and each time deforms the covers a bit more. That's just one more reason I prefer rotating them myself...
I can't count how many times mine have been wailed on bythe monkeys and their air wrenches and myself. Between three new sets of tires in about a year (I couldn't make up my mind), lifting, removing the lift, and then re-lifting the truck. Not to mention all the regular rotations, my lugs were/are garbage...

#492 ·
Looks good, but at a glance it almost looks like all the lug nuts are missing! >:D

On a somewhat related note, I recently rotated my tires using the same 13/16" spark plug socket that I have always used. Getting tired of the too-tight fit (just on some) so will soon buy a real 21mm six-point. Only been air-wrenched twice and each time deforms the covers a bit more. That's just one more reason I prefer rotating them myself...

#498 ·
I recently rotated my tires using the same 13/16" spark plug socket that I have always used. Getting tired of the too-tight fit (just on some) so will soon buy a real 21mm six-point.
Was in town a few days ago, stopped by HF and picked up a 21mm deep impact socket (item #67789 ) for $3.99. Fits the lugs much better than my spark plug socket -- a few are still a bit snug and just one is a tight fit. Damn air wrenches.

#496 ·
Not sure what might be the best headlight lens protection.... maybe just keeping them out of the elements as much as possible. After nearly 10 years, mine still look virtually new and I have never applied anything to them. Well, the rare light misting of wax-as-you-dry following the equally rare wash job. Other than that, when the lenses need cleaning, I soak 'em with glass cleaner for a few minutes, then wipe off with a microfiber cloth. No garage but the truck spends most of its time in a carport so it's somewhat protected.

#497 ·
I think keeping it out of the elements is one of the biggest preventers. I didn't have a problem with the haze until I moved into an apartment and could no longer garage the truck. But even once I moved into a house and parked in a garage every night, it seems once they started to yellow, they continued.

I can't believe how much the traffic has slowed down on here since the hey days of the late 2000's...When I logged on today there wasn't a single new post since yesterday...crazy!

I am starting to gather up parts for my 90k service even though it is about 10k out still. And I will be replacing the front brake pads for the first time this weekend!..If I can get the rim off the hub...

#500 ·
80k on those brake pads is pretty good for the Taco. I can't recall how long mine last. I'll have to look Monday when I get on the computer.

Our Highlander's pads are now over 100k which seems to be average. Just amazing when thinking back to the life of parts in the 80s or before.

#501 ·
I recently rotated my tires at 75K miles, and the pads were not thick, but still decently useable for awhile yet. I'm guesstimating they'll make it to 85K, maybe 90K. We'll see.

Moose, you're right about the service life of parts years ago. I recall when cars were generally considered worn out at around 100K miles. Old bias-ply tires lasted a fraction as long as our radials do now. The old rule-of-thumb for tune-ups was one year or 10K. And leaded gas (remember that stuff?) could destroy mild-steel exhaust systems at an alarming rate.

I'd better stop now -- I'm starting to feel old! :D

#502 ·
Finally replaced my LTX MS2s with some more MS2s. Got a solid 100k out of them so I am looking forward to the next 100k. I was also excited to be able to use the 2012 FJ wheels that have been sitting in my garage for a couple years as well. Stuck 265/70r17s on them.

#503 ·
Nice. I assume you had to switch from a P tire to a LT tire with the higher profile? With the LT comes deeper tread. I wonder if they have lower lifespan though.

#505 ·
Thank you.I stuck with the P-rated tires. I don't tow anything (except my little Honda on a dolly twice). Most of my driving is on the freeway and if I can get 100k with the new set again, I'll be super happy. I will be knocking out my 120k service tomorrow. I'm stocked up on diff fluid, oil, plugs and filters! Only issue to date is my compass/temp gauge going out (again) I need to learn to properly solder...

#506 · (Edited)
I guess having them P rated in that size should have made sense because it'll be the approximate profile of a 265/70 when on a 16". Makes sense now that I think about it.

And on dry rot subject, didn't have that problem with the AT2. I might go back to them next time around. Not real happy with the noise of the Duratracs. And disappointed that they hold just as many rocks in the tread as the AT2...just bigger rocks now. :facepalm:

#507 ·
I was really looking hard at the Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza Plus which overall has great marks, but the user reviews fluctuate a lot more that I want. Too many people not getting near the mileage out of them the warranty claims (probably operator error still). I have the Firestone lifetime alignment so I just take it back every 6 months for a touch-up. At least I know I have a solid set of tires again, even if I paid $200 more for the set.

#508 ·
I haven't noticed any dry rot on my LTX A/T2s, but the old LTXs on our Grand Cherokee rotted.... didn't notice it until I sold the Jeep to our oldest son. Our other son works at America's Tire. He said it's a fairly common problem, made more noticeable by the long life of the tires.

Bigger rocks with Duratracs :lol: Sometimes ya just can't win!

#509 ·
I kinda like the looks of the new Kumho Road Venture AT51..... but one thing I've learned over the years is that a tire's appearance has little to do with how well it will perform or how long it will last. I'm still about two years away from needing new tires. If that Kumho gets unbelievably outstanding reviews & ratings by then (unlikely), I might consider them. Otherwise I'll probably buy another set of LTS A/T2s.

#510 · (Edited)
I did my spark plugs today. The NGK Iridiums in there looked perfect after 70k miles. I would have left them in there if I didn't already buy new plugs. The gap definitely increased though. They were .41 when I installed them. The used one I checked was .50. I didn't know the gap would change on them but that makes sense with heat after a period of time.

Speaking of plugs.. Fail of the day. Niece had a tire blowout so I rushed and look what happened. All fixed and good to go though.

#512 ·
Moose, great pic(s). Looks like where I live.

Also went 4wheeling a couple of days ago. Dropped the front end into a new arroyo created by all the recent runoff. Came to rest on that flimsy front factory skid plate. No damage but it made a bunch of noise. I was expecting to see the oil pan punched out or at least the front diff broken, but nothing. Was quite surprised that the factory cover would protect anything.