Toyota Nation Forum banner

Tacoma BS Thread

151K views 834 replies 56 participants last post by  hotajax 
#1 ·
Starting a BS thread for us 2nd Gen guys and gals...in case you didn't figure it out from the thread title.:D

I'll sticky this soon but want to give you a chance to see it before moving it up there.

I know Dark Taco was going to change his oil today, anyone do anything interesting?

#551 · (Edited)
Well, I had a first with a Toyota yesterday...but it wasn't the Tacoma.

It was my fault or I at least contributed heavily to it, but my Camry left my family and I stranded yesterday. We were out running errands and my son was in the back seat sleeping so my wife ran into several stores while I stayed out in the car with him. I left the fan on high with the ignition off at several stops. When my wife came back out the car wouldn't start. I should have known better as the weather has just turned cold here and the battery was 5+ years old...I just wish the car would give some warning like the Tacoma does...the truck will at least exhibit hard/slow starting when the battery is getting weak. The car doesn't. It starts fine and one place and is dead the next. I think the draw of the fan continuously and short drive between stops exposed the failing battery.

Ran to the Local dealership and picked up a new Trustart with a coupon. Got it for under $115.00 OTD.

#557 ·
That would be nice to have someone like that locally. Not many meets or trails runs happen here unless you own a Jeep.

On another note, I pulled off my TRD exhaust this afternoon to put the stock catback back on. When towing the drone of the TRD exhaust can be a bit obnoxious at times...but the stock system is too quiet for my taste. I will likely clean up the TRD tip, dip it black, and reinstall it...

#559 ·
Let me know how it looks in a month or two. I may have to do that this spring. I hear ya on the temps. Was 27 this morning. Went for a 4 mile hike down at the lake with friends and it was a little chilly.

#561 ·
Ahhhhh, just picked the truck up after the 175k service. Had to have two TPMS sensors replaced, but that damn light is finally off after over a year.

Got the headlights polished too.

First few times, I took it in, my 3rd party mechanic couldn't get the right sensor for a one day service. This time I gave him the truck for several days, and they got the part in on day one. Yeah team, time to start saving up $$$$ for the 180k service

#566 ·
Ordered replacement Saspa lift supports for my Leer tonneau. Not bad at $26. One is leaking and now it takes a lot of effort to assist it in opening. After 10 1/2 years, it was time.

Reactions: Slimtv
#568 · (Edited)
Well...looks like a new rear bumper is now on my list, courtesy of the person that rear-ended me on the freeway on the way to work this morning. The truck held up surprisingly well considering how hard the hit felt. Have some damage to the hitch, trailer plug/harness, plastic components of the bumper and the bumper itself. I will have to try to get a picture later...had to get the information filled out with PD and hurry to the office. So I have one on my phone, but it doesn't really show the damage well.

#574 ·
Finally got the ball rolling with my insurance as I haven't heard a word from the other guys. Took the truck in for an estimate this morning...came out at nearly $2400, and they have to put it on the rack and see if the frame is bent.

After thinking about an aftermarket plate bumper for the past week, I decided against it and am just having them repair it with a OEM chrome bumper and factory hitch.

#570 ·
I have to pick up some front brake pads from the dealership today and change them tonight. Heard the wear tab grinding yesterday and inspected the brakes. Inner driver's side is really low which was the first to make contact. Wish I had ordered a set from Roman when I put my last order in. Hate it when I need a part ASAP.

On the bright side, this will be my 3rd set of pads at 175k miles. I measured the rotor thickness yesterday too. Manual says standard is 28 mm and minimum is 26 mm. The narrowest on both front were 27.5 mm. I cannot believe the fronts have that much meat left. Still smooth as new, so no need to turn them. Best brakes I've ever had for longevity/durability!

Reactions: Slimtv
#571 · (Edited)
Picked these up will call from con-way today. Going to get my frame inspected by Toyota and the repairs done from my rear-end accident before I install them. But that should give me plenty of time to get them painted or coated.

What is wrong with this picture???

I fear I suffered frame damage in my accident Friday. Rear passenger side sits nearly an inch lower than the driver's side. Haven't had a chance to take it in yet to find out for sure, because I have been sick.... but it doesn't look good.

#579 · (Edited)
Nope not a total loss...never thought it was, but it took about six hours on the frame rack to correct. The impact to the hitch drug the passenger side rear down more than an inch and the driver's side about a quarter of an inch. They said nothing was bent per say, just shifted, and they were able to pull things square again before installing the new hitch. They say the repair should be undetectable and the rear of the truck sits nice and level again!

Ended up nearly $2700 total for the chrome bumper, hitch, trailer harness, and a bumper support. Had to take the truck back to have a few things fixed but, it is good as new now.

Now to find time to re-dip the rear bumper!! And take my sliders to get PC'ed!

#575 ·
Downside to aftermarket plate bumper is a reduced towing capacity, isn't it? (Due to the incompatibility with the factory receiver and plate bumpers)

Or have things changed?

#576 · (Edited)
That is the exact reason I decided against it...Pelfreybilt claims they have tested theirs at the weight rating of the factory hitch, but don't gaurantee any stated weight rating of their bumpers hitch. Same with Relentless Fab...no gauranteed weight rating.

The additional height of relocating the hitch to behind the rear tag would have also caused some issues with my towing of my current TT set up as well. The looks of the plate bumper weren't worth the trouble. Function won out over form in this case.

#580 ·
This morning I replaced my driver's side sway bar end link. It was shot and has been causing a really annoying clunk for over a year at low speeds like when I pull into my driveway. I scored the replacement free from a local guy who has done his sway bar delete with low miles. No more clunk!!! Yay!!!

Good score! Do you know just how much they want for those?? Its unbelievable. The OEM are like $100....each!

#583 ·
Finished my 2nd battery install. The photo-shopping is where my custom air duct is going. New battery blocks hole where OEM duct went. Battery isolator is 200-amp Cole Hersee solenoid relay.

Added a starter switch to control input from either or both batteries; knob comes off in off position - adding a theft deterrence measure.

#587 ·
Looks and it is. Braking is good, so, I keep pushing off flushing it out. It's one of my maintenance projects in the near future.

#588 ·
Wow...been a busy few weeks! I was finally able to pick up my sliders from powder coating about a week ago.

Was out in the garage until midnight the night I got them bolting them on.

Only hiccup I ran into was the plastic clips that hold the hard brake lines to the frame were so brittle and old that when I bent the lines they just shattered. So I need to replace three of them.

#589 ·
Jerry sure does good work. I wouldn't mind a set of sliders, but my wife and daughter need the steps! If I could afford sliders, I'd probably ask Jerry to build some flat steps into the tops of them. I would think something like that would sell well.

#596 ·
Reactions: 05Moose