Toyota Nation Forum banner

Tacoma BS Thread

151K views 834 replies 56 participants last post by  hotajax 
#1 ·
Starting a BS thread for us 2nd Gen guys and gals...in case you didn't figure it out from the thread title.:D

I'll sticky this soon but want to give you a chance to see it before moving it up there.

I know Dark Taco was going to change his oil today, anyone do anything interesting?

#590 ·
Tried to bump up my front 5100's up to the 2.5" inch setting using the sans spring compressor method...couldn't get the LCA to drop down far enough to allow all the tension out of the spring to remove the shock, even after loosening both lca bolts. Finally gave up and bolted things back together because i didnt want to fight with it and waste anymore time. I had my sick little one home with me today and needed the truck mobile just in case.

After some research, I determined my alignment cams are seized so I am SOL on an alignment or doing anything to the front suspension until I spend $130 to replace them all. Truck is getting close to 100k, so I will probably throw in new energy suspension bushings while it is all apart anyway.

#594 · (Edited)
Changed the spark plugs, engine air filter, and cabin air filter. Starting to work my way through the 90k service schedule. Next up will be the front diff fluid change and ECGS bushing. Then on to the transfer case and rear diff fluid.

Here are the plugs with about 44k on them. Plugs on the right are from the drivers side bank as if you were standing in front of the truck looking at the motor.

#595 ·
My driver's rear EGR slim in channel vent visor was getting loose after 8 or 9 years, so I gave it a tug and it came out. Tape they come with lasted a long time. I emailed EGR USA and told them the age of their product and asked what tape to use to reinstall. They're sending me free replacement tape. Love good customer service. :thumbsup:

#597 ·
I too would like sliders and they are on my short list. Trying to minimize weight additions as much as possible. Anyone that had factory steps on either their AC or DC and went with sliders remember if there was much of a net weight gain, say with the BAMF ones? At first I figured it would be substantial but my factory steps are surprisingly heavy. Would be nice if it were pretty much net zero or so.

#598 ·
I just ordered mine today, DC LB. Will let you know in about 12Weeks how much extra they weigh. I got the dimpled plates, but not the extra kick out.

Reactions: 05Moose
#600 ·
^^ Yup, on the long side of a 1 hour drive, but lots of things of interest along the way to way to kill a day off.

(Go a bit further and hit the Jelly Belly Factory tour, couple of great shops nearby, friends about 1/2 way there.)

I mentioned I was a TN member on the order form, didn't think to put your name as a satisfied customer who referred me.

#601 ·
Well, I'm not really a "customer" since I've never purchased his stuff. All you have to say is "Jim" and "snow wheelin" in the same sentence and he'll know exactly who you're talking about! :lol:

Reactions: RTFM
#603 ·
I was at the Dealer yesterday. Looked at a 2016 DCSB Sport in white. I figured it was time to start thinking about upgrading in creature comforts and decreasing in road noise and frame rust. Anyhow, sticker price was 38k. They were really interested in my 08' (Best year of the 2nd Gen....Just ask 05Moose) I told them I wanted to go home and do some research. Haven't been on here much because of work but I'm glad I checked. Seems to be a problem with vibrations and buzzing on some of the 3rd gens. My truck has a few character flaws....but nothing like I have been reading.

#611 · (Edited)
Finally got around to installing my ECGS Bushing in the front diff! No more growling bearing! :banana: The diff is smooth and quiet again. The job was actually surprisingly easy. The only slight hiccup I ran into was fighting with the CV a bit trying to remove it, but once I took off the diff skid and could get some decent leverage on it with my pry bar, it popped right out. I borrowed the removal and installation tools from a TW member, and will only be out $6 for shipping when I send it to the next guy in line.

I was only able to snap one pic early on in the process because my hands were drenched in gear oil by the time I got the old bearing out and the bushing in.

Now trying to change the fluid in the diff afterward was another story...I ended up breaking off a diff skid bolt, and couldn't get the dang drain plug lose...finally gave up and called it a night. Will probably end up soaking the drain plug with penetrating oil for a week and then try again.

This morning, I dropped the truck off at Toyota for the rear leaf spring recall.

#615 ·
Finally got around to bleeding my brakes today. No issues but wanted to get old fluid out of the wheel cylinders & calipers. Rather than pester my wife I decided to gravity-bleed, something I have not done before. Fluid came out nearly as clean as new, which surprised me a bit. Maybe I didn't let enough flow through, I dunno. Brakes worked well before and after, so no complaints. Guess I can cross that off my to-do list. Unless I decide to do it again, this time with the old pump & hold method to move more fluid.

Next up: Coolant change. Picked up 2 gallons of pink pre-mix a few days ago. 80K miles and going on 11 years.

#617 ·
Did this last weekend (Friday night) while out of town camping and fishing with the family.

Hit a mule deer doing 65 MPH+, never even saw it. It ran from somewhere off the shoulder of the road at a full sprint right in front of my truck. I saw a flash of hair in the passanger side headlight beam just off the nose of the truck, and impacted it on the drivers side third of the front end. I was able to limp back to camp and it was towed the next morning due to a transmission fluid leak and the radiator being pushed so far into the front of the motor, the fan shrould was pressing on the oil filter.

Here are some pics of the carnage.

I was hoping for a total loss, but the insurance company deemed it repairable and the body shop began ordering OEM parts. So far they have ordered just over 4k worth, and expect than number to at least double with labor costs by the time things are all said and done.

I guess I can't complain about a $16-20K valuation on a 9 year old truck with nearly 100k miles on it.

I won't get it back from the shop until at least next Friday.

#627 · (Edited)
Well picked the truck up Friday...not extremely happy with it. The saying, "it will never be the same" is ringing true. Needless to say, it is going back to the shop on my lunch break after it dumped the ac charge from under the hood some where in about 30 seconds on Saturday and initially made me think it was on fire. Three weeks and they still couldn't get it right. Total came to around $7,300. But they have to repaint the hood and the fenders due to flaws and other issues, and replace the headlights with the correct post warranty enhancement set still. Toyota sent them the old melty dtrl part numbers...

#618 ·
Ouch! I presume you are ok since you did not mention anything, and that is the main thing. I'm no expert but I would think a good body shop could fix the damage to near-new condition. I thing 05Moose did time in a body shop so maybe he has some opinions. FWIW, I have had three separate hits with deer in my extensive travels in the mtns. Every one was late at night and came out of nowhere.