Toyota Nation Forum banner

Tacoma BS Thread

151K views 834 replies 56 participants last post by  hotajax 
#1 ·
Starting a BS thread for us 2nd Gen guys and gals...in case you didn't figure it out from the thread title.:D

I'll sticky this soon but want to give you a chance to see it before moving it up there.

I know Dark Taco was going to change his oil today, anyone do anything interesting?

#409 ·
Went on vacation to visit family a couple weeks ago and came back to a mouse in the garage. Caught the mouse after about a week, but just discovered this mess on the Moose filter today:

Now I'm thinking of pulling my cabin intake cover off to install the screen then reinstall my cover.

#411 ·
Yeah. I had a rat trap from the rat last summer, but this guy was eating the bait without triggering the trap. Licked the bait clean! So I got one of these that did the trick:

http://m.homedepot.com/p/Victor-Electronic-Rat-Trap-M240/100400789/

I also found some insulation against the engine air filter. Not sure if it was in the fender and sucked in or whether the mouse had crawled in there too (I pulled the intake from the fender to check it).

#412 ·
Not Tacoma related but as long as we are eliminating pesky rodents -- a very active mole just invaded part of my front yard. Took it from crappy to crappy with lots of mole tunnels & hills in just a few days. I've been through it before and tried poison bait, flooding, traps, road flares, hose from exhaust pipe... none of them worked. My only success was with a little patience and a .22 rifle. Wait near the freshest sign of digging until you see movement, then squeeze the trigger. Three for three so far, including yesterday. :thumbsup:

#413 ·
#414 ·
Waiting for my tires to be rebalanced. Got them balanced sometime I think in 2014 but maybe it was last fall. I don't think they balanced them perfectly last time and it's enough shaking now to have them redone. I've put 61k miles on them and a lot of tread left.

#417 ·
I've never gotten this many either. I came close to 60k on the BFG TA KO, but they were at the replacement indicators. I still have between 7/32 and 8/32 remaining on these...legal for snow still. Now I really believe the reviews on tire rack where people were getting 100k miles out of them. I'll probably replace them next year before the snow though. With another 20k miles by then, I should be down to the 5/32 snow minimum. I really wanted to try the Duratracs next time, but I don't think I can justify it and will go with these again (except in a LT 265/75 size instead). I'm going to put these on our highlander in October because the M/S are at the replacement bars at 60k miles, so they don't last as long as the AT2. Plus the AT2 were a little cheaper in price for the HL size.

#421 ·
Just passed 70K miles a few days ago. Changed oil & filter and greased the u-joints. Also rotated the Michelins and checked the tread depth -- 10/32" remaining after right at 20K miles. Started with 14/32". Assuming the same rate of wear from here on, I might get another 30-40K out of them -- about 4 to 5 years years worth. Right now I'm figuring on replacing with the same tire when it's time. Still reluctant to consider an E-rated 265/75-16, mainly because of ride quality concerns. Love the look of Duratracs but in reality I can't justify the more aggressive tread.

#422 ·
Interesting that yours are wearing faster. I doubt you're out there doing donuts. :D Different manufacturing source or maybe more windy roads going down to town?

#431 ·
Now that I'm teaching my daughter to drive, I decided it was time for some blind spot mirrors on the Moose. I should have added them 10 years ago! What an improvement! Now the highlander has them too at my wife's request.

#435 · (Edited)
I'll tell you now that you'll kick yourselves for not installing these sooner. :lol:

Bought these on Amazon as an add-on item for $3.39/pair. These are the second pair I installed. The first pair I bought up the street. Three problems with the ones at O'Reilly's: 1. They were chrome and reflected the Sun...not to mention too much chrome. :D 2. I installed them on the lower corner closes to the truck. They blocked too much of my view when backing up and annoyed me when looking in the passenger mirror. 3. They adjusted by twisting them with one side being thicker than the other. I couldn't get them to show me what I wanted to see.

These black ones adjust with a pivot point in the center. The inner part "floats" inside an outer mounting piece, so they're like a normal mirror. Press the side you want to adjust.

In second pic: If you look closely in them, you'll see on the driver's side that it shows the front door handle of the Highlander. That handle sits at the front of the rear door (almost directly across from the space between the front and rear doors). Same situation on the passenger side. The blue thing you see in the mirror is next to the front door handle!

We'll see if the Amazon link works here. A lot of times Amazon links don't work for me.