Recording: Knock noise from front right when going over small bump - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Tacoma Forum > 2nd Generation (2005+)

2nd Generation (2005+) Discussion area for the 2nd generation of the Toyota Tacoma

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2006, 04:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
Official TN Member

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View thunked's Photo Gallery
Recording: Knock noise from front right when going over small bump

I recorded the noise that my truck makes on the front ride side while making a left turn over even the smallest bumps... the noise only occurs when going over a bump that lifts the tire significantly faster than the truck. If I go over a dip or something where the whole truck sort of evenly goes up and down at the same rate as the wheels.. no noise.

The clip starts out with my truck accelerating then hitting the small bump (basically a concrete to asphalt transition about 1 inch high). You can hear the front then rear tire hit the bump and then the rebounding clunk noise immediate after.

http://www.boundefy.com/truck_noise.wav

Let me know if this sounds like what anyone else is having, thanks!

I take it in to Toyota tomorrow for the third time on this problem that they can't reproduce.. I'm taking a technician for a ride to reproduce.

Last edited by thunked; 01-03-2006 at 05:10 PM.
thunked is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2006, 05:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View Fitz235's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunked
Let me also add.. that the noise only occurs when going over a bump that lifts the tire significantly faster than the truck.

I think it's happening when making a left turn because most of the weight is on the left side allowing the right tire to make a faster up and down movement independent of the trucks up an down. If I go over a dip or something where the whole truck sort of evenly goes up and down at the same rate as the wheels.. no noise.

Thanks for any tips! I take it in to Toyota tomorrow for the third time on this problem that they can't reproduce.. I'm taking a technician for a ride tomorrow.
It's kind of tough to really make out the noise, but if it's as loud as it sounds on that file it kind of sounds like your battery bouncing around in the motor compartment. Is that noise coming from the front suspension?

Fitz235 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2006, 05:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz235
It's kind of tough to really make out the noise, but if it's as loud as it sounds on that file it kind of sounds like your battery bouncing around in the motor compartment. Is that noise coming from the front suspension?
You're hearing the right sound then.. That's a good mental picture tool for the sound.. I just chekced though and the battery is tight.

To answer your question - I BELIEVE it's coming from the front suspension.. like a peice of metal is knocking somewhere in the coil or arm or something... but I can't say for sure - thats just based on where I hear the noise coming from and under the conditions.

The sound is recorded from a recorder on the floormat of the front right passenger side. Originally I had the recorder tied to the outside of the vehicle in the front, but there was too much engine and road noise.

Last edited by thunked; 01-03-2006 at 05:20 PM.
Old 01-03-2006, 05:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View Fitz235's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunked
To answer your question - I BELIEVE it's coming from the front suspension.. like a peice of metal is knocking somewhere in the coil or arm or something... but I can't say for sure - thats just based on where I hear the noise coming from and under the conditions.

The sound is recorded from a recorder on the floormat of the front right passenger side. Originally I had the recorder tied to the outside of the vehicle in the front, but there was too much engine and road noise.
That doesn't sound like anything I've heard personally, (not in the Tacoma anyway, it sounds like the '95 Jimmy that I traded in) or that or anything I've heard described here. It sounds front end related from what you can make out on the recording.

Last edited by Fitz235; 01-03-2006 at 05:36 PM.
Fitz235 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2006, 05:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
Official TN Member

OK, let me see... what is "front ride side"? because I'm saying that from a driver's perspective.. but now I'm wondering if that's right? Toyota said that after I pointed to spot.. It's front right side if youre driving, front left side if you're facing the truck from the front.

Anyways, I just noticed something interesting on the front right side of my truck.. and that is a spot that has fresh white grease added to it.. and it's a spot that contact might be made if I were turning all the way left.. I'm going to take pictures and post in a few minutes.

Let me also say.. Toyota dealership acting very "dumb" about this noise.. almost like they don't want to figure it out, yet on the last visit they tigthened my sway bar and added white grease to the spot where the hood latch connects and this other spot that I am about to post a picture of.
Old 01-03-2006, 06:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
Official TN Member

OK, here's within the red square is the spot where it looks like metal on metal is hitting.. I don't know if this is the noise I'm hearing, but is this spot supposed to hit metal on metal?

picture is of the inside wheel on the right front(passenger side) and the steering wheel is turned all the way to the left. You can see a spot where the white grease is missing / area where I believe contact has been made. I believe it's contact between spindle and lower arm.

Last edited by thunked; 01-03-2006 at 06:05 PM.
Old 01-03-2006, 06:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
Geekmaster 5000

View Northwst's Photo Gallery
Are you fully locked to the left when going over bump? if so that spot may be rubbing. if not you need the dealership to go thru the front suspension again w/ alignment and retightning everything. good luck.

Also have them check the spindle torque. does the truck travel<<<>>>><<<<>>> back and forth when on the road.

Last edited by Northwst; 01-03-2006 at 06:33 PM.
Northwst is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2006, 07:20 PM   #8 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwst
Are you fully locked to the left when going over bump? if so that spot may be rubbing. if not you need the dealership to go thru the front suspension again w/ alignment and retightning everything. good luck.

Also have them check the spindle torque. does the truck travel<<<>>>><<<<>>> back and forth when on the road.
Thanks for the response.. rarely fully locked to the left.

The sound I'm hearing happens most often when the wheels are turned about 30% plus to the left..

I have pushed down on the front of the truck and rocked it back and forth and I can't recreate the noise.. I feels like its something to do with the wheel.. because when the knock happens I can feel it slightly in the steering wheel.
Old 01-04-2006, 09:34 AM   #9 (permalink)
short beds are ghey

View BrandonM7's Photo Gallery
I haven't stuck my head under this one, but Toyota trucks in the past have had external steering stops - which is what the spot you highlight looks like. These are frequently noisy, in fact later in life it'll start creaking when you're cranked hard over and sound like an old worn out bed or something. The shop apparently thinks that's what you're hearing, or they wouldn't have smeared grease all over it to try and quiet it. Take a scrap of cardboard and tape (very well) over one side of the contact, and take a quick drive to see if the noise changes. It'll probably only change once or twice, as it'll pound right through after one or two hits, but it might give you a hint.
BrandonM7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2006, 11:30 AM   #10 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View Silver-Bolt's Photo Gallery
Jack the corner you think is making the noise off the ground. Unload the suspension and see if anything feels loose. If it only happens when hitting a bump it is either bottoming out (not likely) or when the suspension extends (unloads) something is loose or broken. Lift it high enough so the tire is off the ground. Try wiggling the tire/wheel. Then pull the wheel/tire and inspect all the suspension parts.
00 Ford Lightning (528whp)
04 Aprilia Tuono Factory & Aprilia SXV 550
Silver-Bolt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2006, 04:40 PM   #11 (permalink)
New TN User

View TheSlacker's Photo Gallery
Mine has made noises since the week after I bought it (November '04). It made a hollow knocking noise, but only when the temp dropped below approx 55 degrees Farenheit. I finally took it in a month ago. They initially thought it was the issue with the rubber cab mounts, but then one of the mechanics thought it was coming from the very front. He looked at it and said the tie-rods were loose. After tightening them up, the sound is gone. Still haven't figured out how the temp affected it...
TheSlacker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2006, 04:03 PM   #12 (permalink)
Official TN Member

I have some new pictures..

Today I lifted up my truck and checked things out.. I grabbed on to the tire and rocked it left to right(facing the side of the tire).. I was hearing a noise that sounded almost identical to the noise I was hearing, but then I realized that was the steering wheel hitting the stops(since I had taken the key out).. I put the key back in, and started rocking the tire back and forth again - definitely alot more quiet, but I heard another noise coming from the spot where the upper arms connect to the body. I think the noise it was making when the steering lock was hitting was thew most accurate, but I don't think this is the noise.. but I think it was closest because its a metal on metal with rebounding sort of chatter noise.

Anyways, I'm posting some more pictures of the spot where the upper arm connects.. there's spaces in between mine on both left and right side of truck so I'm guessing this is normal? But I definitely heard some noise coming from the peices in the first pic below(from the red areas) Some of these pics might not be of any use.. but thinking maybe someone might notice something wierd in them..

lower shock mount:

shock:

upper arm closeup:

upper arm:

Last edited by thunked; 01-17-2006 at 04:08 PM.
Old 01-17-2006, 08:42 PM   #13 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View Motogyro's Photo Gallery
you have a different shock setup than me and it looks tight. That second to last picture looks fishy have you checked the tightness of that bolt?
Motogyro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2006, 08:02 PM   #14 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Today I disconnected the sway bar connectors from the A-arms.. and the sound is now rampant. It makes it alot more than before, but still tends to make the most noise when making a left turn over an unevne surface.. just another clue to whatever the eventual puzzle solving will be.

Any ideas?
Old 01-20-2006, 08:39 PM   #15 (permalink)
06 DC 4x4 TRD Sport Tow

View Dakoma's Photo Gallery
When did the problem start? Was it gradual or just appeared one day? Do you remember bouncing the wheel on a turn or hitting a pot hole while turning?

Chris

Last edited by Dakoma; 01-20-2006 at 08:49 PM.
Dakoma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Tacoma Forum > 2nd Generation (2005+)