slide in camper for tacoma? - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
2nd Generation (2005+) Discussion area for the 2nd generation of the Toyota Tacoma

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 07-17-2006, 09:30 AM
yarbex

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Canada slide in camper for tacoma?

hi all

thinking of getting a tacoma and am wondering if anyone has put a slide in camper in theirs? i've read there may be issues with exceding payload capacity..... experiences? opinions? any recomnedations for specific campers? poptop vs hardtop?

we would be using it as a base vehicle for climbing trips - probably a lot of highway kms as well as forestry/logging roads for access.

does anyone have any thoughts/experience with mods to improve suspension? do i need to get the towing package or just mod the basic model after market?

thanks for your thoughts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-17-2006, 10:49 AM
One with the force

Never heard of anyone doing that yet. I think there are only a couple campers that will fit and not overload the Tacoma. Gotta search away to find them... Personally, I've used my backpack tent back there, fits fine. There truck bed tents out there that are nice as well.
BTW, the towing pkg doesn't upgrade the springs.
#3 Old 07-17-2006, 11:07 PM
New TN User

I just put a camper on my new 2006 access cab. I had to put an extra leaf in to bump it up a bit. I just got back from my first wekend out with the truck and camper and it worked fine. The camper weighs about 1000 lbs.

Rob
#4 Old 07-19-2006, 06:18 AM
New TN User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenai1
I just put a camper on my new 2006 access cab. I had to put an extra leaf in to bump it up a bit. I just got back from my first wekend out with the truck and camper and it worked fine. The camper weighs about 1000 lbs.

Rob
Rob,

do you have a link to the manufacturer of your camper ?

This year I'll be towing our fiberglass trailer camper ( 13 feet Boler ) but but I'd like to see other options for the tacoma

thank you

Luc

Montreal, Canada
#5 Old 07-21-2006, 11:57 PM
New TN User

Our camper is a 7.5 ft slumber queen. It is made in Abbottsford BC.

Rob
#6 Old 07-01-2007, 09:27 PM
New TN User

USA

I just purchased a Northstar TC 700, popup camper for my 06 Tacoma Sport. There are only a few models that will fit our trucks due to the gap between the wheel wells. That is one thing you have to check when buying a slide in camper. Northstar makes two models that fit. There are other manufacturers that make campers to fit in Toyotas but I like the quality of Northstar.

So far I have added a Firestone air ride system to help lift the bed up a little; it will sag. I also went with the Tork Lift system for tying down the camper. HappieJack also makes a tie down system but you have to drill holes in the side of the truck and the rear bumper. I didn't care for this idea at all; the Tork Lift bolts to the frame. I will have to either remove the running boards or cut about 8 inches off for the front tie downs to work. The rear tie down mounts slide into the OEM receiver hitch. I also spent some time working on hooking up the lights, I didn't want to splice into the plug so I made my own extension with a flat four trailer connection. I will also have to make a small platform to lift the camper up about 4 inches. I was able to do all of this myself. I like the popup style for a lower center of gravity and better MPG.

Last edited by Tacomaidaho; 09-03-2007 at 08:24 PM.
#7 Old 07-02-2007, 07:28 AM
One with the force

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacomaidaho
I just purchased a Northstar TC 700, popup camper for my 06 Tacoma Sport. There are only a few models that will fit our trucks due to the gap between the wheel wells. That is one thing you have to check when buying a slide in camper. Northstar makes two models that fit. There are other manufacturers that make campers to fit in Toyotas but I like the quality of Northstar.

So far I have added a Firestone air ride system to help lift the bed up a little; it will sag. I also went with the Tork Lift system for tying down the camper. HappieJack also makes a tie down system but you have to drill holes in the side of the truck and the rear bumper. I didn't care for this idea at all; the Tork Lift bolts to the frame. I will have to either remove the running boards or cut about 8 inches off for the front tie downs to work. The rear tie down mounts slide into the OEM receiver hitch. I also spent some time working on hooking up the lights, I didn't want to splice into the plug so I made my own extension with a flat four trailer connection. I will also have to make a small platform to lift the camper up about 4 inches. I was able to do all of this myself. I like the popup style for a lower center of gravity and better MPG.
Post some pics. Think you'll be the first with a slide-in.

6-spd, 05' D-cab Sport 4x4, Tow pkg, TRD exhaust
Summer: Stock 17's
Winter: Blizzaks on 16' black steelies
#8 Old 04-24-2009, 10:13 PM
Lindacolo

I am looking for slide in camper. Are there more brands? I know these

Hi. I have a 2008 Tacoma 2 door extra cab,4 wheel drive. It has the non sprayed in truck liner? I am wondering, is that going to be a problem using one of these slide in campers?

Does anyone have any more brands to shop for? I am Just surfing a little bit and these are the brands I have heard of so far: the only one I have really checked out is Outfittermfg.com in Longmont, co. I met a lady nearbyneighbor has one and loves it. I went to the factory..... this year 2009 Caribou model on their web page is pricey, a new one without a few extras things I was mulling over is about 15 grand..youch. but I really, really want one.

I also saw these brands on line from misc ads.,tonight. This was the list I started.... but haven't checked them all out yet. I am actively looking...probably have to buy a used one... anyone know of anything?

1 Outfitter Caribou $15 K Longmont outfittermfg.com

2 Six pack model t-100s California nearest dealer

3 Slumber queen Abbotsford, BC

4. Northstar tc 700

thanks! Happy camping.

Linda
#9 Old 04-25-2009, 08:31 AM
New TN User

Thumbs up Slide in Camper

I have been very happy with my Northstar camper. MY truck has the 4 liter engine and pulls the camper with no trouble. I try to keep it under 60 mph for better mileage, I average around 17mpg. I never use the hot water heater, would like to have the electric motors for the jacks. Trying to lift the camper by yourself requires several trips around the vehicle. A cordless 18 volt drill helps, but it still requires a lot of hand cranking. Another thing I did was get a backup wireless camara from Costco for around 80 bucks. Now I can see my trailer or traffic behind me when I am driving. If anyone has questions feel free to ask.
#10 Old 04-25-2009, 10:03 AM
Senior TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindacolo View Post
It has the non sprayed in truck liner? I am wondering, is that going to be a problem using one of these slide in campers?
If you mean the bed is black, that is not due to it being lined. That is the bed. These trucks have a composite material bed. There is no steel at all for the actual bed.

You know you live in Colorado if you know where the real 'South Park' is.
#11 Old 04-25-2009, 03:29 PM
TN

Nice looking rig. I'd think you might be pushing the 1315# max payload, though. Hope it works out okay for you.

>06 Doublecab TRD Sport Longbed Radiant Red
#12 Old 04-25-2009, 07:19 PM
Official TN Member

Canada

You might want to check out these campers, I have seen them on the Dodge Dakotas and other small trucks.
http://www.northern-lite.com/lite610.html

2007 Tacoma TRD Double Cab

#13 Old 07-07-2009, 12:40 AM
New TN User

7ft Jaco pop-up

Here's my ( new to me ) 7ft Jayco pop-up.
I added RideRite air bags to level the truck after getting the leafspring TSB done. and I installed the torklift tiedowns, much better than HappiJac, and easy installation w. no drilling. Don't put the camper directly on the composite bed, it will slide too much. I have a soft rubber 1/2" bed mat to stop the sliding, and to absorb a bit of shock , and I made a yoke for the front to center the camper and prevent it from moving side to side or forward into the boxrail.
With the lower profile when the poptop is lowered and the airbags, I don't even notice it. I had to search quite a bit to find this unit. It fits great. Many older import campers don't fit well, as they were made for smaller import trucks w. 16 inch high boxrails and 37inch cabover clearance, where we have 18" boxrails, and need about 40+ " of cabover clearance....so you have to build a riser in the bed to get the clearance, which is more weight, and raises your center of gravity. the smaller imports are also narrow, with only 75" of clearance between the jacks whereas our rear wheelwells are 74.5" wide, so you need to be perfect when backing under it to load, or fabricate a spacer on the jack mounts.

steve-r 05 DC LB
#14 Old 07-07-2009, 05:56 AM
New TN User

I made an extension cord for the electrical plug in. I remove the small storage box located above the driver side rear tire (it pulls out real easy) and run the cord through there, it keep the cord out of the way and there is no chance of it getting crushed by the camper I also added a flat four extension to the plug for when I tow my small utility trailer. This setup works really well and I am still getting around 19 MPG if I keep it under 60 MPH. If I were to make any changes I would get the motors for the camper jacks, running around the truck 20 times to raise/lower the camper gets old and I am sure it has to stress the camper raising one corner at a time The motors were 800 bucks when I got mine, not sure what they cost now. The Torklift tie downs are the only way to go, I just couldn't bring myself to drill any holes in the body or the reat bumper to install the HappiJac's. I do like the HappiJap spring loaded shock absorbers I put on each of the chain tie-downs.

Last edited by Tacomaidaho; 07-07-2009 at 05:57 AM.
#15 Old 04-12-2011, 03:58 PM
New TN User

Northern Lite

Hey Yarbex

I have a 04 Northern lite 6-10 on my 06 access taco. I use it for extended climbing trips in the summer and ski trips in the winter. Its very warm in the winter and cool in the summer. Very simple and light at 1050 lbs. I take the lifting posts off and have a couple water jugs I leave in camp to keep my weight down when driving to the crag. It works excellent for me and I live in it 9 months out of the year. Down in the Creek right now enjoying the splitters. Climbing partner is sleeping on the couch which is a little tight for an adult but would work fine for two children below and two adults up. It has a hot water tank and outside shower which I have never used. I am very happy with this unit. I hope that is of some help. Hope your getting out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Tacoma Forum > 2nd Generation (2005+)