NAPA Gold Oil filter vs Toyota - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
2nd Generation (2005+) Discussion area for the 2nd generation of the Toyota Tacoma

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 08-15-2006, 07:58 PM
rjs
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
NAPA Gold Oil filter vs Toyota

I changed the oil and filter the other day prior to a long trip. I used a NAPA Gold 1348 oil filter which cross referenced to the Toyota 90915-20004. The few things I've read about the NAPA Gold filters have been good and it seemed like a quality filter. The only difference between the NAPA filter and the stock filter was the NAPA had a flat gasket as opposed to the stock, "O" ring type gasket. But---The Napa filter was 1 inch shorter than the stock filter. Is this something I should be concerned with?

I'll probably buy Toyota filters but the only Toyota dealer locally is 40 miles away and I didn't have time to drive 80 miles round trip this time.

Thanks, rjs

2006 Red Tacoma Double Cab, 4x4 TRD, short box, auto trans
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-15-2006, 08:46 PM
20' Daredevil (Retired)

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
IIRC, Napa Gold filters are made by Wix -- I have heard nothing but good things about both. No worries.

2005 D-Cab O/R 4x4
#3 Old 08-15-2006, 08:50 PM
gts-rated

i.m.o k&n filters. 9bucks cant beat it.
#4 Old 08-15-2006, 10:31 PM
Official TN Member

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
I read on here that the wix 51516 is longer than the stock. Well I forgot the number and the guy at Napa sold me the Napa Gold 1516 which I am realitivly sure that they are the same filter. Seems to be working alright after being in for 5 days now. And my honey isn't complaining about the extra length. lol
#5 Old 08-15-2006, 10:57 PM
New TN User

I've heard good things about the NAPA Gold filers and it's a safe bet to run it on your truck. I personally use the stock Toyota filer mainly because its the largest oil filter I've found. A larger filter provides more surface area for filtration and has the added bonus of added oil capacity. I've located a couple of sites on EBay that sell the Toyota filters far below list price and with free shipping. This might be the way to save a trip to the dealer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Tacoma Forum > 2nd Generation (2005+)