Computer reset for fuel change? - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Tacoma Forum > 2nd Generation (2005+)

2nd Generation (2005+) Discussion area for the 2nd generation of the Toyota Tacoma

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2006, 12:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cisco Geek

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View chiefshuddle's Photo Gallery
Computer reset for fuel change?

If you change the type of fuel (IE: 87 to 91 octane) is it really necessary to reset the computer? I've read a bunch of stuff on here via the search but between all the MPG this, beating a dead horse that I found very little information of substance.

At any rate, I don't care anything about the MPG, it's a truck for god sakes and I wouldn't have purchased it if I couldn't afford the gas but I would like it to run optimal. I saw that the suggested octane was 91 so I started running that fuel type.

Anyway, if you're a mechanic or have experienced this yourself any advice would be greatly appreciated.
chiefshuddle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2006, 12:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
Row Dialin'

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
View boone's Photo Gallery
Nope that's what the VVT-i is for.

I've found that I don't see any gains in mpg and power until one or two tanks after the switch. The learning curve, I guess. I feel that everytime I disconnect the battery and incidently reset the ECU my mpg drops for a while.

Just run whatever you want but don't look for changes until 1 or 2 tanks in my experience.

2005 V6 4x4 Silver Access Cab, K&N/AEM Hybrid Intake, GC + 3oz. ARx, K&N HP-2009
265/70/17 Nitto Terra Grapplers, Black KMC XD Enduro Wheels, TRD Exhaust, URD Short Shifter
boone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2006, 12:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
Row Dialin'

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
View boone's Photo Gallery
Just to note. My mpg has gone up since the switch to 93 V-power. It accelerates much better and any loads I've hauled has seemed non-existent.

Where the price per gallon is right now, an extra 20 cents a gallon isn't going to kill me for better performance and gas mileage.

2005 V6 4x4 Silver Access Cab, K&N/AEM Hybrid Intake, GC + 3oz. ARx, K&N HP-2009
265/70/17 Nitto Terra Grapplers, Black KMC XD Enduro Wheels, TRD Exhaust, URD Short Shifter
boone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2006, 01:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cisco Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by boone
Just to note. My mpg has gone up since the switch to 93 V-power. It accelerates much better and any loads I've hauled has seemed non-existent.

Where the price per gallon is right now, an extra 20 cents a gallon isn't going to kill me for better performance and gas mileage.
Hey, I really appreciate the advice without the flogging that I've seen in other threads. Like I said, I generally run whatever the rating is but since the plus here is below 91 I have to run the 93 octane as well. I'm through almost 1 1/2 tanks now so perhaps I can see some difference in the next fill up.
Old 09-11-2006, 07:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
Taco Newbzr

View jdmbb's Photo Gallery
would reseting the ecu help before you go on long trips. sorry to thread jack but this seems like something relevant. my truck gets butt mileage since its all city driving and im going to be going on a trip in the next month. would reseting the ecu yeild me better gas mileage?
Old 09-11-2006, 08:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
Mountaineer

View Chipper57's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmbb
would reseting the ecu help before you go on long trips. sorry to thread jack but this seems like something relevant. my truck gets butt mileage since its all city driving and im going to be going on a trip in the next month. would reseting the ecu yeild me better gas mileage?

Na, just leave it alone it will do its job.
Chipper57 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2006, 10:05 PM   #7 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View 1slktoy's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefshuddle
If you change the type of fuel (IE: 87 to 91 octane) is it really necessary to reset the computer? I've read a bunch of stuff on here via the search but between all the MPG this, beating a dead horse that I found very little information of substance.

At any rate, I don't care anything about the MPG, it's a truck for god sakes and I wouldn't have purchased it if I couldn't afford the gas but I would like it to run optimal. I saw that the suggested octane was 91 so I started running that fuel type.

Anyway, if you're a mechanic or have experienced this yourself any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Where did you see this 91 octane suggestion? Without pulling it out for a fresh review, I could have sworn our (my) owners manual says 87.
1slktoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2006, 11:41 PM   #8 (permalink)
Humble Servant

View msibille's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slktoy
Where did you see this 91 octane suggestion? Without pulling it out for a fresh review, I could have sworn our (my) owners manual says 87.
the engine is designed to run fine on 87 octane, however, the system is designed to retune for higher octanes to take advantage of the higher knock resistance. In all OBDII systems, the knock sensor is used to determine when knock first begins, at the level where it is not damaging. The engine cpu (PCM) tunes to run with greatest advance, leanest mixture, etc without causing knock. So, 87 is fine, if you're running where you want extra performance you may or may not feel the add'l octane is worth your while. I found a slight (very slight) change in fuel economy w/ higher octane, but not enough (at the time) to offset the add'l cost per gallon. However, at over $3 for 87 octane, it's close. Some have not noticed a change in fuel economy. In theory, if you drive exactly the same way (in terms of power demand) you should see some small increase in mpg, but may not if you take advantage of "enjoying" the higher octane by being even slightly more aggressive. The biggest change should be almost immediate as the engine tunes for the optimum nearest the "knock precipice". Add'l efficiency comes as the PCM learns your driving demands and tweaks a bit. Resetting will only "unlearn" and unless you've had it learn something "stupid" i.e., a pattern of driving that you don't normally do, you'll almost certainly drop your mpg initially following a reset, until it can relearn.
msibille is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2006, 12:41 AM   #9 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View theflavor's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by boone

There is a 30 cent difference here, a couple of months ago most the stations in the area starting going up by 15 cents each level instead of the traditional 10 cents.
Old 09-12-2006, 12:48 AM   #10 (permalink)
Official Newb

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
View TucsonTRD's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflavor
There is a 30 cent difference here, a couple of months ago most the stations in the area starting going up by 15 cents each level instead of the traditional 10 cents.
Old 09-12-2006, 01:28 AM   #11 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View theflavor's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TucsonTRD
But 87 is only $2.26
Old 09-12-2006, 02:48 AM   #12 (permalink)
Banned

View knowltondata's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefshuddle
Hey, I really appreciate the advice without the flogging that I've seen in other threads.
Just cause I knew you wouldn't feel right unless you were flogged....
knowltondata is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2006, 09:12 AM   #13 (permalink)
Cisco Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slktoy
My owners manual (2005 4.0 V6) says recommended 91 octane, minimum 87.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Tacoma Forum > 2nd Generation (2005+)