2.7L oil capacity incorrect - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Tacoma Forum > 2nd Generation (2005+)

2nd Generation (2005+) Discussion area for the 2nd generation of the Toyota Tacoma

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2006, 05:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
Official TN Member

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View gonesurfing's Photo Gallery
2.7L oil capacity incorrect

I've changed the oil on my '05 Taco (2.7L 4x4) 5 times now, and have always blindly put in 6.0 quarts and always end up with the oil over the full line. The oil is over the full line with the engine hot, cold, running, stopped and doesn't drop after any amount of time. The drain and fill quantity with a new filter is 6.1 quarts. This last change, it took just 5.25 quarts to have the oil at the full mark on the dipstick. I checked the oil level after idling and driving 200 miles this weekend and it hasn't moved down. I have always trusted the owner's manual as being correct, but at the same time I have never added the correct amount and had an overfill condition.

I know this topic has been beat to death on this board for the 4.0L V6, but this is also a problem on the 2.7L. .85 quarts difference seemed like too much to me so I emailed Toyota about it. I'll post a reply if I get one.

Quote:
Dear Toyota Customer Service,

I would like to point out what I believe is an inaccuracy with the 2005 Tacoma 2.7L oil level specification. The owner's manual for my vehicle specifies 6.1 US quarts as the drain and fill quantity for the engine oil when installing a new oil filter. However, each time I have performed an oil change on this vehicle, installing 6.0 US quarts will put the engine oil level approximately 1/4 inch over the full mark on the dipstick. I always use a new Toyota brand oil filter and let the warm engine drain for 30 minutes to remove as much oil as possible. In the past, I have not worried about this as I have always trusted the manual. However, this past oil change I found that 5.25 US quarts will put the oil level exactly at the full mark on the dipstick. I reconfirmed this with the engine hot and cold and the level is always at the full mark. This is a significant difference of 14% that I cannot accept as a standard margin of error.

My question for you, should I continue to drain and refill with the amount specified in the owner's manual despite the oil level being above the dipstick full mark? Or should I trust that the dipstick is correct and use 5.25 quarts for my future oil changes? I've have 22,000 miles on this truck and I am concerned that I have run with the oil level too high for this length of time and affected the longevity of the engine.

Please respond to me with your comments or suggestions regarding this problem.

Thanks,
gonesurfing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2006, 05:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Gameroom cash: $247050
View jdvailco's Photo Gallery
Same here

I have had the same experience and would be interested in their response.
Indigo Ink
jdvailco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2006, 09:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
Precision driver

Supreme Member
iTrader Score: 7 reviews
View mhadden's Photo Gallery
I've had the same problem as well. I put a 5 quart jug of Mobil1 in from Wally World and it sits perfectly. If it causes damage to various parts in the engine, I think warranty claims will start popping up around the board because of this issue.
mhadden is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2006, 11:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
bnacat

View bnacat's Photo Gallery
Buried in one of the service manual sheets that I pulled from the TIS subscription webpages, I found that 6.1 qts is for "dry" oil/filter service, i.e. new engine.

The "wet" oil/filter change spec is 5.8 qts, but even that varies depending on how long you let the oil drain.
Old 10-23-2006, 12:49 AM   #5 (permalink)
Master Geniculater

View Bamboo's Photo Gallery
It seems difficult to believe that the spec is wrong since NO ONE has reported engine failure due to having too much oil in the crankcase. Perhaps the dipstick itself is the incorrect length??

I installed a larger oil filter K&N HP-2009 that holds about 1/2 qt more oil than the factory filter. It still reads over the mark with 6 qts but only slightly.

Bamboo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2006, 01:33 AM   #6 (permalink)
Slightly Insane

Gameroom cash: $154400
View Mike5150's Photo Gallery
Still confused as to how the 2.7 liter can hold more than the 4.0 considering I only use 5.5 quarts and that puts me pretty much on the line.
Old 10-23-2006, 07:21 AM   #7 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View tacojet's Photo Gallery
The 2.7 has a bigger oil pan.

It may be that the larger size of the V6 does not physically allow for as large of a pan as the 4 banger. Weight is a factor also.
tacojet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2006, 09:36 PM   #8 (permalink)
Official TN Member

I'd like to keep running 6.0 quarts in the engine. I just sent off get an oil analysis done on my last 4500 mile run on pennzoil and have changed over to havoline (read lots of good stuff about it on BITOG). I was going to do a side by side comparison of the two, but figure now the results would be skewed slightly with different oil volume.

I found today that if you check the oil level with a cold engine that has sat a few hours, it's right at full (with the 5.25 quarts). If I start the engine breifly and then shut it down and check it cold, it will be halfway between full and add. If I check the oil at operating temp (like the manual says) it's right at full.

I can't believe Toyota would list a drain and refill quantity for a dry engine. I guess if you drained the engine hot, then reinstalled the plug and let it sit overnight and then drained the bottom of the pan, you might get another half quart out of the engine.
Old 10-28-2006, 04:52 PM   #9 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Here's the response.

Quote:
We are sorry for the confusion. We do not have any indication that the specification in the manual is incorrect. However, our recommendation is to abide by the physical indication of the mark on the dipstick.

Last edited by gonesurfing; 03-29-2008 at 06:12 PM.
Old 10-28-2006, 05:34 PM   #10 (permalink)
Precision driver

Supreme Member
iTrader Score: 7 reviews
View mhadden's Photo Gallery
Quote:
However, our recommendation is to abide by the physical indication of the mark on the dipstick.
Of course this would be Toyota's response...that way they can still cover thier ass when a warranty claim comes in! Bastards...
mhadden is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2006, 05:52 PM   #11 (permalink)
Leftoverture

View leftoverture's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhadden
Of course this would be Toyota's response...that way they can still cover thier ass when a warranty claim comes in! Bastards...
No, it's a good response. If the fill quantity is correct, and it's not taking that much to fill it, it has to be because some oil is left in the engine after draining. I've experienced this on other cars as well. If the car isn't perfectly level, or whatever, it just doesn't drain completely. So refilling by the dipstick is called for. Overfilling an engine is much worse than having a very slight amount of old oil left in there when you pour the new oil in.

I've only changed the oil once so far in my 2.7, and frankly I can't remember quite how much I put in. Seems to me the manual called for 5.8. I know I put in more than 5 but less than 6 but can't be sure where I was in between there.

The 2.7 must have some pretty robust seals if you ran it that full that long without blowing any of the seals out. That's good news for us 2.7 owners!
leftoverture is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2006, 09:46 PM   #12 (permalink)
Master Geniculater

There's a TSB on the 2000 V8 Tundra that the oil dip stick was 1/4 inch too short. Owners were putting in an extra quart of oil from what the manual stated (recommended 6.5 quarts) to reach the full line. No engines were reported to be destroyed by over filling with even one full quart. Toyota mailed a few thousand owners new shorter dip sticks.

I recently researched everything on the 2TR-FE engine. It was designed as a commercial truck engine to be used all over the world in several different vehicles. It is designed to be used and abused. It is not a car motor like the V6 ( ha, ha!) I believe that 6.1 quarts is the correct amount of oil and that the dip stick may actually be too long. Regardless of who is correct and who is not, over filling by less than a quart of oil WILL NOT KILL your engine.

Use a larger oil filter and forget about it.

Old 10-28-2006, 11:29 PM   #13 (permalink)
Senior TN Member

Gameroom cash: $294785
View worthywads's Photo Gallery
Am I alone in being unable to get a good clear read with the 2.7Ls oil dipstick. I can't seem to tell where the damned level is. I put 5.5 in on my first change and thought I was about right but not sure. The 2nd change I went with 6 quarts and think I'm a little high, but can't tell for sure, the oil seems to smear during removal.
Old 10-29-2006, 09:14 AM   #14 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Quote:
Am I alone in being unable to get a good clear read with the 2.7Ls oil dipstick. I can't seem to tell where the damned level is.
No, you're not alone.

I find that when I check the oil, the oil usually rides up higher on the edges of the dipstick from scraping the sides of the tubes on the way out. If you imagine the oil making a "V" shape, I always take the oil level to be where the bottom of the V is, or in otherwords the lowest dry spot on the dipstick.

I think Boone suggested sanding the dipstick between the add and fill marks on another thread to help with the reading. I haven't tried that yet.
Old 11-04-2006, 12:31 PM   #15 (permalink)
Master Geniculater

I just did another oil change this morning, and with the larger oil filter (K&N HP-2009) and 6 full quarts of Mobil 1, the oil is less than 1/8" over the top mark. I let it warm back up to check for leaks, then it sat for 5 minutes before taking the reading. I checked it 3 times to make sure it was correct.

Wipe the dipstick the whole length and then insert to the bottom quickly and pull out quickly. You can see the reading much better.

Last edited by Bamboo; 11-04-2006 at 12:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Tacoma Forum > 2nd Generation (2005+)