Access LE Tonneau Cover Installation Time - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Tacoma Forum > 2nd Generation (2005+)

2nd Generation (2005+) Discussion area for the 2nd generation of the Toyota Tacoma

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2006, 08:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
One with the force

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
View Fluxaholic's Photo Gallery
Access LE Tonneau Cover Installation Time

I'm looking to buy an Access Limited Edition tonneau cover my DC LB. Reading through the posts on this cover, there were some differing stories on how time consuming the installation was. For those of you who have done this install, how many hours total did it take?

I ask because I was quoted an install price that was about $120 more (including tax) than I would pay if I bought the cover online and installed it myself. If it'll take 4 hours or more, I'm inclined to pay the extra money to have it done for me.
Fluxaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2006, 08:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
Pb
Surfing TN via iPhone

Lifetime Supreme Member
iTrader Score: 15 reviews
View Pb's Photo Gallery
With all the info we've posted it should take a normal human being about an hour to install it by yourself. If you have a 2nd set of hands then it will take a lot less time. You'd be throwing away $120. Do it yourself.

Last edited by Pb; 11-15-2006 at 08:16 PM.
Pb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 08:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
need to find money tree

iTrader Score: 5 reviews
View amp2oo1's Photo Gallery
I have the Access Lorado, but Im sure the install is identical.

At first I attempted to do it myself, but I found it to be difficult to line up the bedrail and tonneu rail, and hold them in place while threading the bolts. When my buddy came over, it took all of 30 minutes to install the whole thing.

Make sure you get a torx bit for a cordless drill. I first started to do it with a torx wrench and realized that it was going to be too much work.

Get the bits, get a buddy, some beers and an hour of your time and you should be good

amp2oo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 08:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lady in Red

Gameroom cash: $250560
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
View elwinna's Photo Gallery
My Lorado install took two hours for two guys with me supervising. They claimed they could cut that time in half if I'd left them alone

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2282285
elwinna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 09:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
'06 Access 4x4 I4 Manual

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View TacoCamry0605's Photo Gallery
Mine took me about an hour by myself in no great rush.

EDIT: By PB's standard that thankfully makes me a normal human being!

Last edited by TacoCamry0605; 11-15-2006 at 10:28 PM.
TacoCamry0605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 10:55 PM   #6 (permalink)
One with the force

Good to hear. There are a lot of instructions in a thread I found here, and I've done everything else on this truck myself (except the tint), but I've spent so much time on mods for the last four weekends that I was starting to reconsider. I'll just man up and do it myself.

Anyone regret buying their tonneau cover or wish they had gotten something else?
Old 11-15-2006, 10:57 PM   #7 (permalink)
need to find money tree

iTrader Score: 5 reviews
View amp2oo1's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluxaholic
Anyone regret buying their tonneau cover or wish they had gotten something else?
Nope. I love mine. I wouldn't be without it

amp2oo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 08:32 AM   #8 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View Jeff194's Photo Gallery
If you have a basic mechanical ability, and read the directions first you will have no problem. The torx bit in your cordless drill helps alot. I am almost fifty, can't see without reading glasses,have no patience, and had no problems. Basically you are removing the bed rails, and refastening them with the access mounting rails sandwiched betweed the bed rail and pick up box, usung the original mounting points. Good luck.
Jeff194 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 08:41 AM   #9 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View Flat Spot's Photo Gallery
It took me about 2 hours to install mine by myself, but I missed a step, so I had to do some of the work twice.
Old 11-16-2006, 08:50 AM   #10 (permalink)
Row Dialin'

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
View boone's Photo Gallery
If I didn't have the problems I had with out-of-the-box quality, I could have had it installed in an hour and a half. And that was completely by myself.

I would strongly suggest at least having someone hold the rails up while you screw them in. That should only occupy about 10 minutes of your helper's time, providing you have everything prepped and ready to go.

It was a very simple thing to install and the directions weren't even that good.

Peruse that 27 page thread on the Lorado. There are some great tips to make it go smoothly.

I hope that all your holes are drilled correctly in the rails and that all your nuts have threads.
(man that sentence sounds like somethin' straight outta Penthouse)
Old 11-16-2006, 10:14 AM   #11 (permalink)
One with the force

Boone, if I knew you were gonna start talkin' dirty, I woulda marked this thread NWS. I read that Lorado thread, and it looks pretty straightforward. If I can stick my headlights in the oven or install an in-dash navi system, I figure this'll be pretty easy. I'll just get my g/f to hold the rails for me during the install (she did a good job holding the bull bar while I was installing that).

Thanks everyone for the pointers, I'm going to go ahead and order it now. We get so much rain down here in Houston that the covered bed is pretty necessary. I chose the Access LE because I've got bike mounts and need to be able to use the rails, and everyone says they're compatible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Tacoma Forum > 2nd Generation (2005+)