slapped on ceramic pads...and... - Page 4 - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
2nd Generation (2005+) Discussion area for the 2nd generation of the Toyota Tacoma

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#46 Old 04-14-2007, 12:46 PM
Chicks dig it...!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
slightly off topic, has anyone switched to just stainless steel brake lines (without changing pads or rotors) and found any difference in braking...?

'06 Tacoma TRD Sport V6 auto with towing pkg.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#47 Old 04-14-2007, 03:24 PM
New TN User

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
It's been a while since i've checked in at TN, and this thread's perfect because i'm gettin really annoyed by my squeaking brakes. First some background, around 28000 miles i replaced my stock rotors with some Powerslot cryo's, pads with Hawk ceramic, and brake lines with Goodridge stainless steel. The difference in braking was night and day (as i would've hoped). Now i'm a little over 37000 miles and they're squeaking whenever i apply moderate pressure to brake normally. The pads still look brand new, and i tried cleaning everything 2 weeks ago, and it stopped it for about a day but that's it.

And i don't know if the stock pads were ceramic or not, but i get a lot less brake dust from the Hawk's.

#48 Old 04-14-2007, 08:47 PM
Senior TN Member

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but all this talk about the wonders of Hawk ceramic brake pads has me perplexed. I have had a bad experience with Hawk ceramics. I put them on my Grand Prix about two years ago. Not only did not not stop as well as semi metalics but they left about three times the amount of dust on the wheels. I took them off, ate the loss, and replaced them with AZ Duralast semi metalics and then the brakes were normal again.

So you guys do what you want but I'm telling you the truth from experience.

'07 Tacoma Silver DC PR SB SR5 V6 AT TP LSD
#49 Old 04-15-2007, 12:53 AM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by novataco
slightly off topic, has anyone switched to just stainless steel brake lines (without changing pads or rotors) and found any difference in braking...?
I did on my 00 Xtracab V6 4x4. I installed extended, stainless steel braided lines, front and rear with the stock pads and rotors/drums. I had a nice, firm pedal and better braking. I was actually impressed.
#50 Old 04-15-2007, 03:01 AM
2006 V6 Access Cab TRD

I agree, my 2006 seems to take just a bit more to stop. I replaced the regular pads on a Honda CIVIC I have with ceramic pads from AutoXone, cost about $30. At first they seemed to work well and then they started to act as if I was driving on metal. They sometimes sounded like pedal to the metal. I took them back to the mechanic who checked them out and told me they were fine. They do seem to stop shorter distances. However these are not on my Toyota so I can't say how they will do. But if the ones on my Honda are any sign of what ceramic pads do, Im not that impressed. Brake dust is similar to stock as far as I can tell. When I wash the car I see no difference in brake dust built up.

Another point is that the pads might last longer but do they wear the rotors faster? Autozone
offers a lifetime replacement on the pads, however the rotors are a different story.

This is just my experience with ceramics.
#51 Old 04-15-2007, 08:37 AM
NJ Redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUCKINFUTZ
just thought i would throw this in i had to do a full front brake job on mine a few days ago.To make a long story short some a$$ hat decided to stop for a bird yea a bird in the highway i was pulling my car on a trailer had to slam on the brakes and do the OH SHIT stop from 75 to nothing and had the drivers front rotor fail huge crack around 2 1/2 inches long and about as wide as a credit card on both sides

so i did the swap to ebc slotted dimpled rotors and ebc green pads much much better stopping i give it not to bad on the price to
A little punctuation goes a long way buddy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBrasky
All my stuff is just for looks.
2005 DOUBLE CAB - TRD OFFROAD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Tacoma Forum > 2nd Generation (2005+)