Murray (CST) Locking Fuel Cap - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
2nd Generation (2005+) Discussion area for the 2nd generation of the Toyota Tacoma

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 06-19-2007, 06:14 AM
Humble Servant

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Murray (CST) Locking Fuel Cap

Anybody try the Murray Locking Fuel Cap?
Couldn't find our Stant at Walmart (was gonna try the WD40 trick to see if it would be more resistant to the push hard and twist). Couldn't get waited on at AutoZone, went to OReilly's.
They carry Murray Ultra #55040 (also known on the CST website as #5504).

Seems to work well. You turn the key to set it in locked or unlocked mode. (If in unlocked mode, it functions as a reg cap -you don't need the key. Pretty convenient if you need someone to be able to access the fuel filler when you're not around -say w/ the Valet key.)
In the locked mode, the cap swivels very freely. I"ve not been able to dislodge it when it's locked.

Anybody else have any experience with this? Only $10.99 +tx at OReilly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-19-2007, 07:46 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Haven't used the Murray locking cap.
I used the stant locking gas cap model for the Tacoma for a couple of weeks, until the engine threw a 'check engine' code. Switched back to the regular cap and drove for a week (7 days and 350miles) and the computer re-set and the Check Engine light went off.
#3 Old 06-20-2007, 09:20 PM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBelt
I used the stant locking gas cap model for the Tacoma for a couple of weeks, until the engine threw a 'check engine' code. Switched back to the regular cap and drove for a week (7 days and 350miles) and the computer re-set and the Check Engine light went off.
so does that mean that all locking gas caps will do the same thing?
thanks
#4 Old 06-20-2007, 10:06 PM
Official Baller

iTrader Score: 5 reviews
Does it have to do somethin with pressure??

2007 Tacoma Double Cab SR5 PreRunner X-SP
Borla VVME Dynamat Pioneer Alpine Philips DensoEnkei Falken Bilstein MTX Nokya Redline
#5 Old 06-21-2007, 05:08 AM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTOYOTAOWNR
so does that mean that all locking gas caps will do the same thing?
thanks
not sure what brand i got, but i bought it at checkers. anyways, i never had the 'check engine' light come on when i started using it.

'06 silver mica TRD Off Road double cab 4X4

mods:
BFG 265X75X16 all terrain, flowmaster 40 series dual exhaust, rear tsb, 5100 all around set at 1.75, 5% tint, fog light mod, sylvania silverstar headlights and fog lights, scan gauge II, TRD seat covers, Snugtop sport camper, ipod2car
#6 Old 06-21-2007, 07:29 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I don't know if all locking gas caps will do the same thing, but mine did. If you do a search on this forum under 'locking gas caps' you'll find that some people had the 'Check Engine' light come on, and others worked just fine.
A ScanGauge II will reset the check engine light if it becomes a problem, or you can just drive it for a week and it'll reset itself, as long as the problem no longer exists.
Lot's of folks that bought the locking gas caps didn't have any issues at all with them. Hopefully you'll be one of them!
#7 Old 07-18-2010, 04:19 PM
New TN User

Murray locking gas cap - DON'T BUY

This is a late reply to this forum, but I just want to get the word out to anyone who might be considering buying a Murray locking gas cap.
Don't make the mistake I made by buying one of these. I had 2 problems with this gas cap.

First, my truck requires a cap that has 3 tabs near the end of the cap. You push it into the opening then turn it to the right about a quarter turn. The tabs are supposed to slip into grooves and the cap is supposed to start clicking when you can't turn it anymore. Then you use the key to lock the cap. The problem is that the cheap plastic of this cap expands and contracts significantly with the temperature. So in cold temps it will start clicking before the tabs even engage in the grooves because it simply doesn't fit right, so you can't even get the cap on. When the weather warms up to around 80 then it seems to work OK.

The second problem comes when the temp is 100 (often in Texas). I was running on fumes yesterday and stopped at the next gas station. But when I tried to unlock the cap, the plastic had expanded so much the lock would not turn. I tried to gently work the lock but eventually broke the key off in the lock. I had no tools with me and was so low on gas I knew I could not make it home or any place that had service. I wound up calling a locksmith who had trouble getting the lock to turn too after he removed the broken key and eventually had to use some tools to force it. $125 later I was able to get some gas and get home.

I still see the value of a locking gas cap, but am currently shopping for one that is of higher quality and hopefully contains more metal and less plastic. Don't be fooled by the cheap price on the Murray...try adding $125 to the cost of this one...and THEN compare it to others that are initially more expensive.

Best of luck.

Last edited by Space Ghost; 07-18-2010 at 04:22 PM. Reason: typos
#8 Old 07-19-2010, 10:39 AM
Semper Fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBelt View Post
I had the exact same issue...
#9 Old 07-19-2010, 11:51 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Standt #11509 on for 4 years has never generated a code. Not the best locking mechanism, but better than nothing. My '92 had a key operated locking filler door!

'14 Tacoma 4x2 (2.7-159hp), Auto, Std Cab, Super White (current)
'06 Tacoma 4x2 (2.7-159hp), Auto, Std Cab, Super White (gone)
'92 Pickup 4x2 (gone)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Tacoma Forum > 2nd Generation (2005+)