Need Help. Bilstein Vs. Rancho Rs9000xl - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Tacoma Forum > 2nd Generation (2005+)

2nd Generation (2005+) Discussion area for the 2nd generation of the Toyota Tacoma

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2007, 12:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
New TN User

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View Boyer's Photo Gallery
Need Help. Bilstein Vs. Rancho Rs9000xl

I've been reading and searching this forum for weeks now. Yes, searching.
I have decided to level my 07 DC TRD Sport. I am trying to decide between the 5100's (all 4) and the rancho quick lift front with rear RS900xl (nitro shocks).

The price between the two, considering all factors, is not a huge deal. The TSB is on order. So far this is what I can decipher....

-The 5100's are a little less expensive. Adjustable ride height. Solid ride, a little stiffer over stock Bilsteins. Solid proven product that lasts.

-The Rancho quick lift is NOT height adjustable but you can adjust the dampening and rebound for ride control. A little more expensive. Have not heard a lot of good things about Rancho shocks. Although the Rear RS9000XL are supposed to be pretty nice.

I sent a few PM's to hooch364 that were helpful. What I am wondering is if anybody has any opinions on Rancho products Vs. Bilsteins, if you could do it over would it be different, opinions, advice, etc. Any help will do and thanks for a great site with a lot of knowledge.

It is kind of funny that I cannot find any place that will install the 5100's for a reasonable price if I buy them and bring them in. (4wheelparts, Les Scwab, etc). Same for the Rancho stuff. I keep hearing warranty, liability, etc. Frustrating I can get the 5100's on Ebay for 269.00
INstalled for 250.00, plus 75.00 for an alignment. Roughly 6 bills.
The rancho stuff at a local shop would be 500 for shocks(all four), 75.00 for alignment and 100.00 labor. So, the price differential isn't huge.
Boyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2007, 04:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
New TN User

anyone? No experience with Rancho products?
Old 11-19-2007, 05:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View CrshOverride's Photo Gallery
I seem to remember this question coming up at some point in the past to the same result.

My answer:

Go with Rancho, be different, and then let the rest of us know how it works out for you!

CrshOverride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 06:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
New TN User

Yeah, I guess I should have been more specific. I was just wondering if anybody had any experience with Rancho products on any truck, whether it was an old CHevy, Ford, Dodge, etc. THe Bilsteins seem to have a pretty good track record...just trying to find out the same for Rancho and if anyone has used the Rs9000's at all. I guess it comes down to the other options are more popular/affordable. Only a few have tried Rancho suspension components or shocks.
Old 11-19-2007, 07:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
LRH
Official TN Member

View LRH's Photo Gallery
On 2 different trucks I have had in the past; I have used firm valved Bilsteins on front, and Rancho's RS9000 on rear, and on another (reg cab Tundra) I have used firm aftermarket Bilsteins front and soft valved factory 02-03 model TRD bilsteins rear. Most automatically think all the TRD spec shocks are firm, but first series Tacomas as well as Tundras with offroad pkgs had very soft valving. I last week installed a pair of RS999319XL's on rear and have a set of 5100's in transit; possibly for the front, and after randomly trying to get through to the GoRancho tech line for about a week, I finally just called the rep and had him send me a pair of RS999760QL's to check out for myself. I have in the past sold Tenneco/Monroe products for many years. What bothered me was the vague specs advertised by Monroe, as to how much lift and how it is obtained. They advertise 1" up to 2.5" on some vehicles, but no info as to min/max per any particular vehicle. The quality is good, as good as most US made shocks get, which is good, but not Koni or Bilstein. These shocks have a low warranty rate, and most is due to mis-aplication (too short or too long) when customer chooses wrong length on modified suspensions. I have never worn out a set of Rancho's or anything above entry level Monroes. The QuickLifts come with a 3/4" hard urethane ring that sits on the lower spring seat that gives 1"?? of lift at the wheel. The otherwise full instructions mention nothing of this spacer whatsoever, it is just laying in the bottom of the box.
LRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 08:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
New TN User

^THanks for the information. That is the kind of input I was seeking.
Old 11-19-2007, 08:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
LRH
Official TN Member

View LRH's Photo Gallery
I have never yet used Rancho adjustables in the front of a vehicle; I just use the firmest shock I can find, and then use the adjustables in the rear where there is a wider range of weight from empty to loaded up, and they do better than any others in this scenario. Most people just can't seem to get past 2 different color shocks on the same vehicle.
Old 11-19-2007, 10:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
New TN User

View Bombguy's Photo Gallery
Put Rancho 9000s on a midsize Nissan 4x4 with BFG ATs (don't bust my chops about the Nissan, I have a Taco now) and the ride was very firm. Every bump on the street was transmitted as a sharp jolt to the cab. Off road, the valving worked better as large hits didn't jolt as bad but were still absorbed. I ended up taking the 9000s off because the street ride was miserable.
Bombguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 11:28 PM   #9 (permalink)
New TN User

Sweet. Thanks for the input.
Old 11-20-2007, 01:19 PM   #10 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View el_smurfo's Photo Gallery
Had RS9000 on my Wrangler. Took them off after a few weeks and put ProComps on. The Ranchos were just way too stiff, especially on a light car like that...
el_smurfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 02:07 PM   #11 (permalink)
LRH
Official TN Member

View LRH's Photo Gallery
For those who said the 9000's ride rough, did you did set them on a softer than out of the box setting?, anything I have had them on, including the rear of a 4cyl soft top Wrangler, the softest setting was VERY soft and floaty, 3 or 4 out of the nine are firm and 8-9 are extremely firm.
Old 11-21-2007, 12:41 PM   #12 (permalink)
Official TN Member

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
View AK05Taco's Photo Gallery
I had a set of the 9000x's on the rear of my old Taco (95 x-cab) and loved the ride, though they never were adjusted above about 5 or so. The ride at the 3 setting was perfect with a real rear bumper and a fiberglass topper. I would guess 2 would be about right with a stock bumper and no topper.

The best thing about the adjustable was the few times I really loaded up the truck (helping a buddy move or whatnot), just crank the shock up and no adverse driving from the added weight.

Prior to the 9000’s I had a set of 5000’s for about a week and those things were HARD, like “I think I just broke something” when you hit a pothole hard! I would probably get the 5100’s up front….
AK05Taco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 03:39 PM   #13 (permalink)
New TN User

Yeah, that is kind of the consensus. I believe I am just going to get the 5100's for the reason here,

1. Comments and feedback from this post...thanks.
2. The plethora of people using them with success.
3. The cost
4. If I decide to lift (toytec, aal, etc) or take it back to stock height, I can still utilize the same shock.

Thanks for the comments.
Old 11-21-2007, 05:49 PM   #14 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View hossmaster's Photo Gallery
Most people I know who have the Rancho or ProComp adjustable shocks have them set to the softest setting. I run bils in the rear with OME leaf packs and I love the ride. Yea it's a bit stiff unloaded, but that helps with cornering. The bigger the bump the better the shock works to dampen and control the jolt. When loaded, I mean 500+ pounds in the bed it rides like butter and controls the sway as well as the bumps without any harsh negative reactions. Don't forget that Bilstein has differently valved shocks available.
hossmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Tacoma Forum > 2nd Generation (2005+)