I messed up!! I bought rims with smaller center bore!! - Page 2 - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Tacoma Forum > 2nd Generation (2005+)

2nd Generation (2005+) Discussion area for the 2nd generation of the Toyota Tacoma

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2008, 05:00 PM   #16 (permalink)
One with the force

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View sechsgang's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Razor View Post
Yeah, the spec there is screwed up. Look here.

http://www.mottoalloys.com/styles/de...esc=MT100_6lug
To the OP: there are several offsets / backspacings available.
Before spending any more money, I would confirm that these will work with the BS they got. I'd measure the BS first.
2006 DC short bed 6 spd 4x4 TRD off road. MB 72 16x8.5 with 275/70-16 Yokohama AT's. 5100's (front) set at 1.75". Leaf TSB & 1" blocks. Toyo front skid. Toyo Tube Steps. Weathertech floorliners. Coverking Seat Covers. GPS.
sechsgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2008, 05:01 PM   #17 (permalink)
New TN User

View LeeR's Photo Gallery
Ahh, thanks for the info guys! Is there way that any of this info can help me figure this out? I'm really stressing here!!!!
LeeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 05:06 PM   #18 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Lifetime Supreme Member
View Red Razor's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeR View Post
Ahh, thanks for the info guys! Is there way that any of this info can help me figure this out? I'm really stressing here!!!!
Don't stress man. My wheels have the same backspace (5 1/2"). I would suggest you google "hub centering rings" and try those before you do anything to your new wheels.

By the way, nice wheel choice. What size tire are you planning on running?

2006 Tacoma 4X4 TRD Sport - Radiant Red - TRD CAI - MKW M26 wheels - Yokohama Avid SUV 275/55-20 - Toyota OEM Running Boards - Billet Grill - Tinted tails
Red Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 06:11 PM   #19 (permalink)
New TN User

View LeeR's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sechsgang View Post
To the OP: there are several offsets / backspacings available.
Before spending any more money, I would confirm that these will work with the BS they got. I'd measure the BS first.
I tried to mount them up already, thats when I realized the hub was bigger. At that time I could see the there wouldn't be any problems. Looked like it would fit just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Razor View Post
Don't stress man. My wheels have the same backspace (5 1/2"). I would suggest you google "hub centering rings" and try those before you do anything to your new wheels.

By the way, nice wheel choice. What size tire are you planning on running?
Are the hub centric rings usually used for going from a smaller wheel hub to a larger bored rim? I'm not sure but if that is it, then it won't work for me.

Thanks for the compliment on the rims. I've already mouunted my tires, they are 274 45 20's. They look beautiful to me that one reason I really want to get these suckers on!!!
LeeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 07:53 PM   #20 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Lifetime Supreme Member
View Red Razor's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Are the hub centric rings usually used for going from a smaller wheel hub to a larger bored rim? I'm not sure but if that is it, then it won't work for me.

Thanks for the compliment on the rims. I've already mouunted my tires, they are 274 45 20's. They look beautiful to me that one reason I really want to get these suckers on!!!
Yeah, you're right, the hub centric rings won't really work in your situation. Going from a larger hub to a smaller wheel bore will be more like a spacer. You can look, but I'm not sure if they exist like that.

You may want to find out what bore your wheels have now and go from there. You can probably email Motto to find out for sure

Good luck

2006 Tacoma 4X4 TRD Sport - Radiant Red - TRD CAI - MKW M26 wheels - Yokohama Avid SUV 275/55-20 - Toyota OEM Running Boards - Billet Grill - Tinted tails
Red Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 08:31 PM   #21 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View Kerry_20's Photo Gallery
I did the same thing when I bought my Tacoma. I took the rims to a machine shop and had them bored out. I think they charged me around $22 a rim.

When I got them back they would only fit my truck if I used spacers. I ended up selling them and buying new ones. Learned my lesson the hard way.

-Kerry

Quote:
Alright I'm sooo po'd right now. I had no idea the the hub was so fricken huge on out Tacoma's.

So I bought some aftermarket rims that I REALLY like, I go to slap them on and the fricken thing won't fit!! The bore of the rim is WAAY smaller than the bore of the hub.

Please tell me my options as i cannot return these rims.

Can I bore them out myself? If so, and I make the rim bore larger than the hub bore, will it be safe with the studs taking the full brunt of the weight?

If I can't bore them, can I get some wheel adapters?

Please let me know if any of you have come across this situation and have any advice for me! I really appreciate it!

Kerry_20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 09:03 PM   #22 (permalink)
I ♥ my Taco

View Cleveland's Photo Gallery
Sell them on craigslist or eBay, and try again.
Cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 09:08 PM   #23 (permalink)
Stupid is stupid does

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
View lotust's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Well if you haed bothered to read my original post, you'd see that another option may be to buy wheel adapters.

The only downfall to that is that I don't know if the wheels will stick out with the 1 1/4" adapters.
Common man, All you guy in HI roll with the wheels sticking out past the wheel wells. Its all good.

295/65/18 Goodyear Duratracs:2.5" lift in the front with 1" rear Block
JBA single exhaust:HID's W/Led's inside:Nfabs
E&G grill insert:ARE Z topper:Overhead DVD for my son:Front DVD for me
lotust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 09:28 PM   #24 (permalink)
Toyotanation

Supreme Member
iTrader Score: 12 reviews
View toku58's Photo Gallery
Why can't you return them?

You can't bore them out because if I'm not mistaken? You have the CHROME finish. If it was a polished finish then YES you can bore them out rather easily. Most machine shops can do it.

If you can't return it???

If you decide to use spacers? You may be able to get away with the 1/4" spacer? I believe 4WP have them. Or Ebay.
Old 01-28-2008, 04:23 PM   #25 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View slamdtaco's Photo Gallery
yes you can bore them out yourslef. how much more do you need to bore out? you need a router and a bit listed in this link. remember this posting is for going froma 3" bore to a 4" bore and does not need to go all the way through. in this link, they only need to go about 1/2" deep. you will need to decide what size bit you need to make this work. I've done it myself and it's very easy. the key is to go slow.

if you don't feel comfortable with this take them to a shop. you shouldn't pay more than $100 for all 4 unless you're desparate, which you seem to be.

http://nissancustoms.com/showthread.php?t=129

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/527520
slamdtaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 01:48 AM   #26 (permalink)
TuRD

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
View motone82's Photo Gallery
Does anyone know a machine shop in the Orange County area that will machine the the center bore for some wheels. I bought some wheel and tires today that I couldnt pass up. I picked up 4 teflon mohaves with 265 70 17 Terra Grapplers for $350. They are the smaller bore off of a chevy but even with the cost of the maching it was too good for me to pass up. Thanks for your help!

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Tacoma Forum > 2nd Generation (2005+)