2008 Tacoma Oil Change - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums


» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Tacoma Forum > 2nd Generation (2005+)

2nd Generation (2005+) Discussion area for the 2nd generation of the Toyota Tacoma

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2008, 10:30 AM   #1 (permalink)
Official TN Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Elkridge, MD
Posts: 102
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View Taco2Drive's Photo Gallery
USA 2008 Tacoma Oil Change

You guys have inspired me to step out of my comfort zone and start working on my Tacoma. I don't normally do this so I will preface this with that.

I just changed my oil on my 08 Tacoma (4.0 liter) for the first time. I made much more of a mess than I had hoped. So I have a few questions about the whole procedure.

1) Reading the dip stick. There are two dots on the end of the dip stick. Where on the dip stick should the oil be when fulling filled? I read through the owners manual, search online but couldn't find what I was looking for.

2) When taking off the oil filter, there was still a lot of oil in it and it spilled. I have cleaned it up which a bunch of rags, etc. Are there any techniques to minimize the mess that is created?

Thanks for getting back with me.
Taco2Drive is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-18-2008, 10:38 AM   #2 (permalink)
Stupid is stupid does
 
lotust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: NY Long Island
Posts: 5,552
Thanks: 42
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
iTrader Score: 3 reviews
View lotust's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco2Drive View Post
You guys have inspired me to step out of my comfort zone and start working on my Tacoma. I don't normally do this so I will preface this with that.

I just changed my oil on my 08 Tacoma (4.0 liter) for the first time. I made much more of a mess than I had hoped. So I have a few questions about the whole procedure.

1) Reading the dip stick. There are two dots on the end of the dip stick. Where on the dip stick should the oil be when fulling filled? I read through the owners manual, search online but couldn't find what I was looking for.

2) When taking off the oil filter, there was still a lot of oil in it and it spilled. I have cleaned it up which a bunch of rags, etc. Are there any techniques to minimize the mess that is created?

Thanks for getting back with me.
If you search "oil change" in topics only in the 2005+ section you will get more info that you can shake a stick at.

here is one

First oil change, critique please...
__________________

295/65/18 Goodyear Duratracs:2.5" lift in the front with 1" rear Block
JBA single exhaust:HID's W/Led's inside:Nfabs
E&G grill insert:ARE Z topper:Overhead DVD for my son:Front DVD for me
lotust is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2008, 10:41 AM   #3 (permalink)
Official TN Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Eastern WA
Posts: 261
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View zippo44's Photo Gallery
1) Anywhere between the two should be fine. If you put in the recommended amount it should be about 3/4s of the way up between the two dots. Perfectionists make sure it's right on the top dot. Doubt there's any difference there.

2) Let it drain longer? And, underneath that small silver cup just beneath the filter there is a drain valve. Just get a large mouth bottle or large yogurt container underneath it and pull the rubber piece off the end. Then unscrew the filter and let it drain into that cup...it should funnel right into your container. Hope that helps.

You will most likely get a little bit on your fingertips from pulling the rubber piece, but that should be all.
zippo44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2008, 10:48 AM   #4 (permalink)
Official TN Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Elkridge, MD
Posts: 102
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View Taco2Drive's Photo Gallery
Thank you. I think I needed the quotes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotust View Post
If you search "oil change" in topics only in the 2005+ section you will get more info that you can shake a stick at.

here is one

First oil change, critique please...
Taco2Drive is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2008, 10:50 AM   #5 (permalink)
Official TN Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Elkridge, MD
Posts: 102
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View Taco2Drive's Photo Gallery
Thank you. I thought I had read something about this in the past but couldn't find it again.

Thanks for a quick response. You have put my mind at ease.

r/Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippo44 View Post
1) Anywhere between the two should be fine. If you put in the recommended amount it should be about 3/4s of the way up between the two dots. Perfectionists make sure it's right on the top dot. Doubt there's any difference there.

2) Let it drain longer? And, underneath that small silver cup just beneath the filter there is a drain valve. Just get a large mouth bottle or large yogurt container underneath it and pull the rubber piece off the end. Then unscrew the filter and let it drain into that cup...it should funnel right into your container. Hope that helps.

You will most likely get a little bit on your fingertips from pulling the rubber piece, but that should be all.
Taco2Drive is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2008, 10:57 AM   #6 (permalink)
2012 Stanley Cup Champs
 
zmtnbik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,856
Thanks: 5
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
iTrader Score: 3 reviews
View zmtnbik's Photo Gallery
Congrats on NOT removing your tranny drain plug when changing your oil

Trust me...it's happened!
__________________
2006 4x4 Access, V6, 6spd, TRD Off-Road, tow pkg. Donahoe Co's, TC UCA's, Dakar leafs, 5125's in the back and u-bolt flip kit. TRD exhaust, CAI. URD MAF calibrator. 17x9's, 285/70/17 BFG MT KM2. Locker-mod, fog mod and console vault.
zmtnbik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2008, 11:15 AM   #7 (permalink)
Official TN Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Elkridge, MD
Posts: 102
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View Taco2Drive's Photo Gallery
You mean the engine oil isn't red?



Quote:
Originally Posted by zmtnbik View Post
Congrats on NOT removing your tranny drain plug when changing your oil

Trust me...it's happened!
Taco2Drive is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2008, 11:16 AM   #8 (permalink)
Man in Blue.
 
Ice|Burn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Central California
Posts: 923
Gameroom cash: $197887
Thanks: 5
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View Ice|Burn's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmtnbik View Post
Congrats on NOT removing your tranny drain plug when changing your oil

Trust me...it's happened!

Does this ring true for both manual and auto? I have yet to get under a Taco so I can't go look at mine because it's not here yet.
Ice|Burn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2008, 11:19 AM   #9 (permalink)
Theatre Nerd Person...yea
 
Sony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,969
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View Sony's Photo Gallery
^^^ No I've never head of it happening with the manual. I think the manual's drain plug is on the side instead of the bottom like the auto is so it's more difficult to mistake.
__________________
2006 Toyota Tacoma DCab Long Bed SR5 V6 5spd Auto 4x4
Tow Package, 6 CD Changer, Rear Limited Slip Differential, 16" Alloy Wheels
Silverstar H4 Headlamps and
Silverstar 9005 Foglamps, Bed Storage Utility Lock Mod, Redline Tuning Gas Hood Struts, Roll-N-Lock M-Series Retractable Tonneau Cover

Sony is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2008, 01:44 PM   #10 (permalink)
New TN User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montana
Posts: 21
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View mxer's Photo Gallery
To clean the spilled oil, use kitty litter to absorb it.
mxer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2008, 01:47 PM   #11 (permalink)
Official TN Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Elkridge, MD
Posts: 102
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View Taco2Drive's Photo Gallery
I must say that I am very pleased with the oil change. I switched from dino to Penzoil Platinum 5w30. The engine runs smoother and quieter and feels a lot better and responsive. This is my second oil change at 5500 miles. So we'll see how long this "feels" this way before the next change.
Taco2Drive is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2008, 08:24 PM   #12 (permalink)
Georgia
 
Jeddak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Robert's Union of Communist States
Posts: 1,175
Gameroom cash: $143695
Thanks: 11
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View Jeddak's Photo Gallery
Sand the dipstick with 150 grit sandpaper. Between the marks, across the stick. It will make oil reading much easier. Install a Fumoto drain valve--no more bolts to undo to drain the oil.
__________________
Impeach Chief Rat Roberts now!
Jeddak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2008, 08:39 PM   #13 (permalink)
Softball God
 
WilsonTheDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Myrtle Beach SC
Posts: 1,966
Thanks: 3
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
View WilsonTheDog's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco2Drive View Post
I must say that I am very pleased with the oil change. I switched from dino to Penzoil Platinum 5w30. The engine runs smoother and quieter and feels a lot better and responsive. This is my second oil change at 5500 miles. So we'll see how long this "feels" this way before the next change.
That's what I use. Just did it yesterday, actually. That oil flows out of there like a damn fire hose so unless you cover everything in the immediate vicinity, you're going to get some spillage. I think I'm going to switch to a bucket or something with higher sides than my drain pan next time.
__________________
Eric
2007 Toyota Tacoma
PreRunner SR5 V6 DC SB
2014.5 Toyota Camry SE I4
WilsonTheDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2008, 08:56 PM   #14 (permalink)
One with the Force
 
maxama10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Northern NV
Posts: 1,521
Gameroom cash: $233420
Thanks: 10
Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View maxama10's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice|Burn View Post
Does this ring true for both manual and auto? I have yet to get under a Taco so I can't go look at mine because it's not here yet.

No, I think what happened was someone confused the oil pan for the tranny pan. Manual transmissions do not have the pan, therefore you shouldnt get confused. On the manual there is just a bolt up against the tranny housing.

Hope that helps.
__________________
Modified 07 Tacoma
maxama10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Tacoma Forum > 2nd Generation (2005+)

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:31 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
ToyotaNation.com is an independent Toyota/Lexus enthusiast website. ToyotaNation.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Toyota Motor Sales, USA, Inc. The Toyota, Lexus and Scion names and logos are trademarks owned by Toyota Motor Sales, USA, Inc.