that 50 mph vibration thing - Page 7 - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
2nd Generation (2005+) Discussion area for the 2nd generation of the Toyota Tacoma

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#91 Old 11-13-2008, 11:40 AM
driveline vibration

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04asphalt View Post
driving under very slight acceleration between 55 & 65mph you will feel a vibration in the driveline, as soon as you take your foot off the gas it stops.toyota has a dirty little secret
this related to the folks having their transmissions replaced under warranty when the thrust/throw-out bearing goes bad?

tacoma vibration defect
class-action anyone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#92 Old 12-07-2008, 10:36 PM
New TN User

Canada Its Back

A year later after my front diff was replaced I can feel the vibration is back. I always thought there was a little something after, but it wasn't too bad, until today. The Snow has came again here so now I'm using 4wd when i Need it, but when i switch back to 2wd, my truck vibrates after it disengages. same thing as last year.

Im Bringing it to the garage next week it beter get fixed. I know im going to get a going over cause of My lift kit, but if 100 other people got the same problem it can't be the lift.

Last edited by JAY'S TOY; 12-08-2008 at 02:22 AM.
#93 Old 12-08-2008, 03:35 AM
New TN User

you guys going to love this

hey everyone check out these TSB's http://www.*********.com/tech.htm

I even had troubles this summer with the no start issue but toyota couldnt help me at the time, because the truck started fine for them. Go figure hey.
#94 Old 03-16-2009, 11:46 AM
New TN User

Hello folks,this is an update on the vibration subject that I posted a few months ago.My taco also had that vib problem at 50 + mph.As soon as i lifted the gas pedal it went away.Recently the truck had a catastrofic universal joint failure (between the transmision and driveshaft)luckily I didn't caused major damage except for a heat shield.I replaced the universal joint and lo and behold,after a test drive I noticed taht the vibration went away.As I was told at the local auto parts this seems to be a frequent problem with the Tacoma trucks (low life span of the unions)I replaced them with aftermarket ones that do include grease fittings.This seems like a good idea since the oem ones are sealed.This may help lenghten their lifespan.One other thing tough,I'm planning on installing a driveaxle strap or some other device to help prevent major damage in case of a failure.Have anyone done this/If so will like to hear recomendations.Thanks.

P.S. : vehicle info:2005,tacoma double cab,2wd,v6
#95 Old 03-16-2009, 11:54 AM
Native Oregonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomonte View Post
Hello folks,this is an update on the vibration subject that I posted a few months ago.My taco also had that vib problem at 50 + mph.As soon as i lifted the gas pedal it went away.Recently the truck had a catastrofic universal joint failure (between the transmision and driveshaft)luckily I didn't caused major damage except for a heat shield.I replaced the universal joint and lo and behold,after a test drive I noticed taht the vibration went away.As I was told at the local auto parts this seems to be a frequent problem with the Tacoma trucks (low life span of the unions)I replaced them with aftermarket ones that do include grease fittings.This seems like a good idea since the oem ones are sealed.This may help lenghten their lifespan.One other thing tough,I'm planning on installing a driveaxle strap or some other device to help prevent major damage in case of a failure.Have anyone done this/If so will like to hear recomendations.Thanks.

Good info... this is the first time I've seen this thread. I generally attribute my vibes to the tires being minor out of balance. I've tossed around the idea of aftermarket u-joints for durability, but figuring the truck is rated for 5k lbs, there'd be no point. Now I'm reconsidering.

That propellor on the front of planes is really just a big fan for the pilot. Don't believe me? Make it stop, watch him sweat!
#96 Old 03-16-2009, 02:02 PM
Official TN Member

Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomonte View Post
Hello folks,this is an update on the vibration subject... I was told at the local auto parts this seems to be a frequent problem with the Tacoma trucks (low life span of the unions)I replaced them with aftermarket ones that do include grease fittings.This seems like a good idea since the oem ones are sealed.This may help lenghten their lifespan...

Interesting post. I have 118000 km on 2006 model (74000 miles) U joints seem fine. I noticed that yours were sealed. I have greased my U joints every 16000 Km/10000 miles since new. They came with fittings from the factory. Is this a common difference between the 2 wheel drive and 4 wheel drive versions?
Have any others had problems with their U joints?
Should I be watching them more closely?
I have noticed a vibration at certain speeds, but it is subtle. Others don't seem to notice it.
#97 Old 03-17-2009, 03:05 PM
New TN User

Correcting the vibration AND also the shudder on First Generation Tundra and 2005+ Tacoma
Problem #1: Steering wheel doesn't move at all. Just a vibration going thru it.
Vehicle: 2003 Tundra 4x4 Access-cab V-8.
Solution: (a) Dealer replaced front differential carrier. (Had one of the bad ones found on
some of the 2003's). Helped a lot, but didn't completely fix it.
(b) Re-alignment to exact specifications. Toe-in set exactly on the middle of
tory specs., camber equal both sides set @ 0 degrees and caster set at the
top of the positive factory specs. for your vehicle (+ 2.3 degrees for mine).
(c) New tires (Michelin LTX M+S) or other top-line, premium tires, road-force
balanced.
Problem #2: Slight steering wheel shimmy or shake
Vehicle: 2008 Tacoma 4x4 Regular-cab
Solution: One out-of-spec. wheel ( lug-centric, styled-steel) was replaced and the OE Dunlap
tires were road-force balanced.

Both vehicles are now totally vibration and shimmy-free - at all speeds and under all conditions The Tacoma's 'junk' OE Dunlaps, at their current rate of wear will last, believe this or not, appx. 50,000 miles!
Just because I don't like the dad-gum Dunlaps does NOT mean they are bad tires.

So, keep working on your vibrations and shimmys. The solution IS out there. The irritation IS fixable. I believe, for the most part, PROPER alignment and/or PROPER road-force balancing is the answer. These pickups seem to need caster set at the very top positive setting allowed under Toyota specifications. This, as well as proper road-force balancing require a technician who is properly trained on how to set caster and camber on Toyota's pickup suspensions and who cares about workmanship. (It's not a hard process). Your problem is going to likely be finding that rare alignment tech.
Good luck! When set right, Tacomas and Tundras are as smooth as an Avalon or a Camry. Mine both are.
#98 Old 03-17-2009, 08:08 PM
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
BUT, my issue is this: why does it run smooth as glass on Monday and Tues, then vibrate wed thurs fri, smooth saturday then vibe again sunday?
#99 Old 03-18-2009, 09:27 AM
New TN User

I've 'been there, Snowcountry,' especially with the 2003 Tundra. These Tototas, I feel, with their particular steering system, are more sensitive to everything being set up exactly right...and when they are, they are super-smooth. Otherwise, problems galore. Outside temperature, believe it or not, appears toaggrivate the problem as does vehicle load (or lack thereof). I would suggest you get the alignment specifications for your vehicle and have a tech who KNOWS what he is doing, to set the alignment as follows: Toe--dead on your vehicle's specs; Camber right @ zero degrees, both sides equal and Caster at the positive top end of the specs, again right & left sides equal,,,and THEN give you a print-out of the results, so you can be sure he did it right. IF, IF you can find a trained tech (and good luck on that one!) you just might find your problem solved. If not, take the vehicle back to that same good technician, get him to check BOTH your wheel and tire run-out. Wheels are usually within specs (but not always). Tires are a different matter. Then have him road force balance them. By doing the above, you're gonna like the way your pickup drives and handles, and you might just find you have solved your problem. If the promlem remains, at least you will have eliminated tires and/or improper alignment as the causitive factor.
My two Toyota pickups (especially the Tundra) like to have driven me crazy before I got them right. The little Taco's been right for 12K of its total 20K miles now and the Tundra for well over 60K of its 100K. BUT to find the right wheel alignment man....I discovered him by accident in Central Texas, over 350 miles away from our home in West Texas. I never did find a really good one in the nearest city to us (only 50 miles away), a city of a quarter million folks.
#100 Old 03-18-2009, 07:40 PM
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
I will take your advice and see what happens. Had things road-forced-balanced on a Hunter machine but perhaps the person doing it didn't
"qualify". Also, have had the alignment checked but will again.

Will let you know what happens. Don't get me wrong...I really like the
truck but JEEZ! Why does Toyota make it so difficult?!
#101 Old 04-11-2009, 01:23 PM
Official TN Member

Snowcountry, Did you ever figure anything out?

I have been plagued with driveline shudder for almost 2 years now. I have tried axle shims, carrier bearing shims, 3 different driveshafts (one piece and modified two piece), the rear engine mount TSB, 3 different rear leaf spring packs (stock, dakar, deaver), 3 different sets of rear shocks, as well as 3 different sets of tires, which where all road force balanced. The vibe has gotten really bad at 45mph. As soon as I let off the throttle, everything is smooth. If i can cruise at 55+, no problems either. My dealer won't do much, and every mechanic I take it to says everything looks fine.

The weird thing, it is not always there. Some days, everything is smooth and the truck rides like a cadillac. What I don't understand is how in the morning on the way to work the truck is fine. Then when heading back to work after lunch, on the same road, at the same speed, I will have vibrations. I seem to be experiencing the same symptoms as Snowcountry.

Supposedly, my dealer is having a toyota tech come take a look at the vibe in the front diff, and I was hoping to corner him and make him look into the rear shudder at the same time.

2007 Double Cab Silver Streak TRD
Donahoe's, Dakar Leafs, Bilstein 5100's
285/75R16 BFG AT's on Teflon AR Mojave's
ARB Bumper, Leer 100XQ Topper
#102 Old 04-11-2009, 05:34 PM
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
Things are still the same with my truck. HOWEVER, with less frequency.
"Most" of the time the vibe is minimal and somedays not at all. Yesterday,
jumped on the highway for an appointment 35 minutes away: 70-75mph all
the way - 60 degress outside: smoooooth ride. Appointment lasted 20 minutes, back on the highway - still 60 degrees outside. 70-75mph coming home and had 'slight' vibration.
Living with it at this point. I owe what the truck is worth so does me no
good to trade, besides I really like the truck aside from the vibe. Toyota
has told me they've done what they can.

I can certainly understand how you feel! And also, if it were a wheel or
proper alignment issue you'd think it would be doing it 100% of the time.
Gremlins?

Let me know if you find a solution...
#103 Old 04-12-2009, 08:36 AM
driveline vibration

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by sl3807 View Post
Snowcountry, Did you ever figure anything out?

I have been plagued with driveline shudder for almost 2 years now. I have tried axle shims, carrier bearing shims, 3 different driveshafts (one piece and modified two piece), the rear engine mount TSB, 3 different rear leaf spring packs (stock, dakar, deaver), 3 different sets of rear shocks, as well as 3 different sets of tires, which where all road force balanced. The vibe has gotten really bad at 45mph. As soon as I let off the throttle, everything is smooth. If i can cruise at 55+, no problems either. My dealer won't do much, and every mechanic I take it to says everything looks fine.

The weird thing, it is not always there. Some days, everything is smooth and the truck rides like a cadillac. What I don't understand is how in the morning on the way to work the truck is fine. Then when heading back to work after lunch, on the same road, at the same speed, I will have vibrations. I seem to be experiencing the same symptoms as Snowcountry.

Supposedly, my dealer is having a toyota tech come take a look at the vibe in the front diff, and I was hoping to corner him and make him look into the rear shudder at the same time.
my driveline vibe is between 55-65mph
can you give details on everything you tried and who did the work?
why is it only a few of us talking about this defect, if it's normal like toyota claims everyone would be posting

tacoma vibration defect
class-action anyone
#104 Old 04-12-2009, 01:09 PM
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
I do have a 'noticeable' shudder right at 50 - that part doesn't go away!

First, they said they said the torque converter was locking up so they replaced the that and the transmission at the same time. Week in the shop,
Toyota gave me a loaner. They called and said it was done and no more vibe. Drove it home and it was the same if not worse than before. ARGH!

Called them up the next a.m. and spoke to the service mgr who said if he'd been there the day I orginally took it in he would not have advised toyota to do the tranny/torque converter - he said it's a driveshaft angle issue. Sigh.

Another appointment and another loaner while a Tech from Toyota District something or other came up and installed a "preliminary test kit", and changed the angle of the driveshaft 2 degrees. (front i think). They called the next day and said "it's done and feels great". Went and picked it up...guess what? Only a slight change for the better. WTF???!!!

Turned around and went back to the dealership and said, "WTF?" Took it for a drive with the service mgr and he 'couldn't feel a thing'. So, he said they would roadforce balance the tires and check the alignment. Alignment was ok but they said the tires were off so they reblanced and sent me on my way. Slightly better again.

Was gonna live with that but said to myself why should I? The amount I paid for the truck...hello!

Went to arbitration. Had to take the truck back AGAIN so Toyota Corp. could drive it and go over it AGAIN. Guess what? They said that yes, they could feel the vibe! AND, had a couple mechanics there at the dealership who have Tacoma's and they took it for a ride and said yes, it vibes...but just like ours. "It's not that bad - you just have to learn to live with it because it's a truck and they're supposed to be like that."

So, long story longer: LOST the arbitration because the board said that the issues I've had "do not susbstantially impair the use, value or safety of the vehicle and operates as designed."

So, that's it. The dealership was "ok" but wish they had gone to bat for me a little more harder. Toyota Corp too. They reached a certain point and then washed their hands of it. BUT, I see what guys at work go thru with they Chevy's/Ford's/Dodge's and jeez...worse than us. Guess my gripe is this: obviously mine is NOT an isolated case and I think Toyota knows there's either a manufacturing problem or more likely a design flaw/issue and they don't either don't know what the problem actually is or are trying to sweep it under the carpet after their BIG recalls of the '95-2000 trucks, and now they're having more with '01-'04.
#105 Old 04-13-2009, 11:55 AM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04asphalt View Post
my driveline vibe is between 55-65mph
can you give details on everything you tried and who did the work?
why is it only a few of us talking about this defect, if it's normal like toyota claims everyone would be posting
I did most of the work. I have installed 1, 2, 2.5, and 3 degree axle shims, both forward and backwards. I have also tried to both raise and lower the carrier bearing in 1/16th of an inch increments (you can raise the carrier bearing by rotating the flanged housing that bolts to the cross member 180 deg, the driveshaft is not centered in the housing). I tried a Tom Woods Double Cardan one piece shaft, got rid of the low rpm take off and decel shudder, but did nothing for the 45 mph shudder.

Has anyone removed their rear driveshaft and driven around in 4hi? When I do this, the truck rides smooth. I am not sure I would try this if my vibes were in the 60-65mph range though.

2007 Double Cab Silver Streak TRD
Donahoe's, Dakar Leafs, Bilstein 5100's
285/75R16 BFG AT's on Teflon AR Mojave's
ARB Bumper, Leer 100XQ Topper
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Tacoma Forum > 2nd Generation (2005+)