how to adjust headlight aim. - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Tacoma Forum > 2nd Generation (2005+)

2nd Generation (2005+) Discussion area for the 2nd generation of the Toyota Tacoma

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2008, 09:17 AM   #1 (permalink)
Official TN Member

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View cth978's Photo Gallery
how to adjust headlight aim.

just wondering does anyone know how to adjust the headlight aim?? i got some hids and they have a shield on them and it points too low. any advice would be great.
cth978 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2008, 09:25 AM   #2 (permalink)
i <3 Miley Sirus.

iTrader Score: 7 reviews
View tonythemarine's Photo Gallery
Headlight aiming

headlight aiming....

search is a good thing my friend...

^ a sockmonkey prod. ^
tonythemarine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2008, 09:27 AM   #3 (permalink)
One with the force

iTrader Score: 4 reviews
View rydr1's Photo Gallery
^ beat me to it.
rydr1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2008, 11:18 AM   #4 (permalink)
clean water

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
View LaPerouseBay's Photo Gallery
good on ya for setting your headlights properly. i was nearly blinded by a lifted taco with aftermarket headlights yesterday - in broad daylight. the good news is that people in small cars were probably ok, the douchebag was probably shooting right over them.
LaPerouseBay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2008, 12:50 AM   #5 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View remodelboy's Photo Gallery
Just Adjusted Headlights on my 2007

I know that this is an old thread, but I didn't want to start a new one. I read all of the threads for adjusting headlights, but when I opened up the hood, things seemed different that what was described.

Here is what I did at night:

1) Open hood and locate vertical headlight adjustment screws on the lower portion of the headlight housing. They are the galvanized 8mm hex heads with the weird notched washer. Don't touch the upper adjustment screws that are for horizontal adjustment - they have a protective black plastic cap on them.

2) I used an 8mm socket for the adjustment heads. It is a tight fit. I happened to have a set of socket drive "wheels" from Harbor Freight (cheap). They are like a socket wrench without the handle. On the driver's side, I was able to hold the "wheel" with the 8 mm socket with my left hand and carefully fit it on the adjustment head. If you drop this, it looks like you will have a lot of work trying to retrieve it.

3) For the passenger side, the reservoir for the windshield washer fluid is in the way, but it quickly comes off by loosening 2 bolts with a 10mm wrench or socket. Don't be a weenie and try to make the adjustment without moving the reservoir - it will take much longer (unless you have the perfect wrench).

4) Clockwise (when looking at the back of the headlight housing) will lower the beam. Before I moved them, I marked the top of each bolt with a blue sharpie so I could easily keep track of how much adjustment was being made.

5) I had the rear spring tsb done and have 5100's front and rear. The fronts are set to 1.75". I turned both headlight adjustment screws clockwise for 1 full turn and then test drove the truck. It was a big improvement, but it seemed like when I was going down hill, the headlights did not shine far enough down the road. I repeated the proceedure and turned them counter-clockwise 1/8th of a turn and test drove it again. With just me in the truck and a full tank of gas, the beams seemed to be right where I wanted them.

6) Even after dialing in the headlights for typical level roads, when heading down a hill with the brakes on or in a lower gear, the headlights seem to dip a bit and not project as far down the road as I would like. But when going up a hill with my foot on the accelerator, the headlights are definitely shining into the eyes of oncoming drivers. I think that even with some of the common suspension mods, our tacomas are still a little bit like rocking horses in regards to headlight aiming.

Sorry for the long post, but it might help some members to know that it is a really easy adjustment to make. I'm actually embarrassed at how easy it was since I've been driving around like a dope with my headlights out of adjustment.

RC

2007 Tacoma DoubleCab 4x4 TRD Sport with TRD Intake, TRD Exhaust/Invisible Bra/Rear Spring TSB/5100's all around- Previously1.75"-Currently 2.5" Fronts/BedMat/Ultima Products/Snuglid/Toytec AAL for TSB/Toytec Frt Diff Drop/Procomp 1028-17x8.5 Polished Alloy Wheels/Goodyear Wrangler Duratec 265/70-17
remodelboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2008, 02:07 AM   #6 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View digijohnson's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by remodelboy View Post
I know that this is an old thread, but I didn't want to start a new one. I read all of the threads for adjusting headlights, but when I opened up the hood, things seemed different that what was described.

Here is what I did at night:

1) Open hood and locate vertical headlight adjustment screws on the lower portion of the headlight housing. They are the galvanized 8mm hex heads with the weird notched washer. Don't touch the upper adjustment screws that are for horizontal adjustment - they have a protective black plastic cap on them.

2) I used an 8mm socket for the adjustment heads. It is a tight fit. I happened to have a set of socket drive "wheels" from Harbor Freight (cheap). They are like a socket wrench without the handle. On the driver's side, I was able to hold the "wheel" with the 8 mm socket with my left hand and carefully fit it on the adjustment head. If you drop this, it looks like you will have a lot of work trying to retrieve it.

3) For the passenger side, the reservoir for the windshield washer fluid is in the way, but it quickly comes off by loosening 2 bolts with a 10mm wrench or socket. Don't be a weenie and try to make the adjustment without moving the reservoir - it will take much longer (unless you have the perfect wrench).

4) Clockwise (when looking at the back of the headlight housing) will lower the beam. Before I moved them, I marked the top of each bolt with a blue sharpie so I could easily keep track of how much adjustment was being made.

5) I had the rear spring tsb done and have 5100's front and rear. The fronts are set to 1.75". I turned both headlight adjustment screws clockwise for 1 full turn and then test drove the truck. It was a big improvement, but it seemed like when I was going down hill, the headlights did not shine far enough down the road. I repeated the proceedure and turned them counter-clockwise 1/8th of a turn and test drove it again. With just me in the truck and a full tank of gas, the beams seemed to be right where I wanted them.

6) Even after dialing in the headlights for typical level roads, when heading down a hill with the brakes on or in a lower gear, the headlights seem to dip a bit and not project as far down the road as I would like. But when going up a hill with my foot on the accelerator, the headlights are definitely shining into the eyes of oncoming drivers. I think that even with some of the common suspension mods, our tacomas are still a little bit like rocking horses in regards to headlight aiming.

Sorry for the long post, but it might help some members to know that it is a really easy adjustment to make. I'm actually embarrassed at how easy it was since I've been driving around like a dope with my headlights out of adjustment.

RC
I wad able to adjust mine by hand. You can rotate the bolts by the washers.

digijohnson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2008, 08:24 AM   #7 (permalink)
bombermoe

View bombermoe's Photo Gallery
Canada

I will be doing this tonight. I've put it off way too long and it sounds pretty damn simple. (I'll let you know if I still manage to screw it up!)
Old 12-05-2008, 09:09 AM   #8 (permalink)
DOMINICAN TACOMA

View joelito2983's Photo Gallery
Have any of you guys have had the problem that the hid give light to the ground and to the sky but straight ahead you get a shadow????

Last edited by joelito2983; 12-05-2008 at 09:28 AM.
joelito2983 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2008, 09:34 AM   #9 (permalink)
DOMINICAN TACOMA

Sorry for any miss spelling in living in a world where you only hear spanish and end up forgeting how to speak english

Last edited by joelito2983; 12-05-2008 at 09:36 AM.
Old 12-05-2008, 10:24 AM   #10 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View Notty's Photo Gallery
You may want to check with your dealer too. I happened to ask about it and they said headlight adjustments are free and no appointment required. I was in and out in less than 15 minutes with properly aligned headlights and no charge.
Notty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2008, 11:13 AM   #11 (permalink)
DOMINICAN TACOMA

theres only one problem that i live in the dominican republic and that coverage i really dont get it here so im basiclly fucked..
Old 12-05-2008, 12:38 PM   #12 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View digijohnson's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelito2983 View Post
theres only one problem that i live in the dominican republic and that coverage i really dont get it here so im basiclly fucked..
I think you got a bum set of HIDs. I'd buy a new set, or get some stock light bulbs, and see if there's still a problem. If there is, then it's your housings. It may have aftermarket housings from the last owner.

digijohnson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2008, 06:25 PM   #13 (permalink)
Stupid is stupid does

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
View lotust's Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelito2983 View Post
Have any of you guys have had the problem that the hid give light to the ground and to the sky but straight ahead you get a shadow????
hid problems????

Your question was answered here in your post.

295/65/18 Goodyear Duratracs:2.5" lift in the front with 1" rear Block
JBA single exhaust:HID's W/Led's inside:Nfabs
E&G grill insert:ARE Z topper:Overhead DVD for my son:Front DVD for me
lotust is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2008, 08:50 PM   #14 (permalink)
northdakota1

View northdakota1's Photo Gallery
if they are like factory ones all you need is a philips screwdriver.. thats what the weird washer with the cogs on are for. just put the screwdriver shaft in the slot vertical to the head of the bolt.. and turn. just did it last night..
northdakota1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2014, 04:15 PM   #15 (permalink)
New TN User

View 07greyfellow's Photo Gallery
right-raise

Quote:
Originally Posted by cth978 View Post
just wondering does anyone know how to adjust the headlight aim?? i got some hids and they have a shield on them and it points too low. any advice would be great.
Turn Right to Raise and Left to Lower. May take several turns to see difference.
07greyfellow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Tacoma Forum > 2nd Generation (2005+)