PA15-TOY Installation Guide - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
2nd Generation (2005+) Discussion area for the 2nd generation of the Toyota Tacoma

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 04-08-2008, 12:27 AM
Lovin' my Taco!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
PA15-TOY Installation Guide

Hey all-

I got my USA SPEC PA15-TOY iPod adapter today for my '06 Taco & put together an installation guide with step-by-step pictures. This is an easy project that pretty much anyone can do. There are several other good installation guides for the PA11 & PA12 already. The installation isn't really any different...except mine says "PA15" on it.

So far I've only tried the PA15 with a new Nano running 1.0.3 firmware, but it's great so far.

Here's my installation guide: http://www.acceleroto.com/pa15toy/

Hope this helps!
-Groucho
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-08-2008, 12:31 AM
One with the force

iTrader Score: 4 reviews
Good install!

Black Sand Pearl 2006 Dbl Cab LB,
#3 Old 04-08-2008, 01:32 PM
Forumatic Immunity!

iTrader Score: 9 reviews
can you still change music from the ipod or do you have to do it from the stereo? and also, does it charge also?

05 Tacoma DC LB TRD Sport Super White.

"I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual."-House.
#4 Old 04-08-2008, 04:01 PM
I Like 'Ze Best

iTrader Score: 4 reviews
What is the difference between this and the pa-12toy?
#5 Old 04-08-2008, 05:01 PM
i call it the octagon

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
will it work for the stock single disk HU?

the SPNKr
#6 Old 04-08-2008, 07:48 PM
Official TN Member

can you add Xm to this as well as an Ipod?

2008 Tacoma DC 4x4 LB TRD Sport

1969 VW Baja Bug
Money Pit
Minor Mods
#7 Old 04-08-2008, 08:56 PM
Lovin' my Taco!

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by docindahouze View Post
can you still change music from the ipod or do you have to do it from the stereo? and also, does it charge also?
It does charge the iPod. When you switch to another stereo mode (CD, FM, etc), it pauses the iPod & continues to charge it. You can control the iPod from the stereo controls including the steering wheel buttons. It recognizes playlists called "TOYOTA1" through "TOYOTA6" and tells the head unit they are "Disk 1" through "Disk 6." The Disk 7 setting plays all songs on the iPod...Disk 8 does the same, but in "Direct Mode" where you have to control what's playing through the iPod itself. Disk 9 is the AUX input (if you enable it).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino8541 View Post
What is the difference between this and the pa-12toy?
For my 6-disk stock stereo, I don't think there is any difference from the PA12. I think the big new capability with the PA15 was support for "NAV radios through the SAT port" (quote from the USA SPEC site). It looks like it will NOT work with the new radios that will play an MP3 CD. I'm not an expert on it though...I'd check the USA SPEC site to find your make/model/year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilidogrc View Post
will it work for the stock single disk HU?
The way I read their site, it should work as long as that HU has a "TEXT" button.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidv2007 View Post
can you add Xm to this as well as an Ipod?
I'm going to do this using it's aux input. It's just a stereo RCA connection, so pretty much anything that has a line out can be connected to it. If you wanted, you could add a 1/8" stereo jack to your dash. My plan is to wire my XM line output to the PA15's aux input. I haven't done that yet though. They say all you have to do is select "Disk 9" and it'll listen to the aux input.

I drove to work & back today with it (about 2 hours total) and it seems to work well. The volume is good & the sound quality is WAY better than an FM transmitter. I hadn't really read through the manual completely about what head unit buttons do what for the iPod control, but moving between playlists & songs withing playlists works well.
#8 Old 04-22-2008, 06:58 PM
+++++ J Runner +++++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
It does charge the iPod. When you switch to another stereo mode (CD, FM, etc), it pauses the iPod & continues to charge it. You can control the iPod from the stereo controls including the steering wheel buttons. It recognizes playlists called "TOYOTA1" through "TOYOTA6" and tells the head unit they are "Disk 1" through "Disk 6." The Disk 7 setting plays all songs on the iPod...Disk 8 does the same, but in "Direct Mode" where you have to control what's playing through the iPod itself. Disk 9 is the AUX input (if you enable it).

For my 6-disk stock stereo, I don't think there is any difference from the PA12. I think the big new capability with the PA15 was support for "NAV radios through the SAT port" (quote from the USA SPEC site). It looks like it will NOT work with the new radios that will play an MP3 CD. I'm not an expert on it though...I'd check the USA SPEC site to find your make/model/year.

The way I read their site, it should work as long as that HU has a "TEXT" button.

I'm going to do this using it's aux input. It's just a stereo RCA connection, so pretty much anything that has a line out can be connected to it. If you wanted, you could add a 1/8" stereo jack to your dash. My plan is to wire my XM line output to the PA15's aux input. I haven't done that yet though. They say all you have to do is select "Disk 9" and it'll listen to the aux input.

I drove to work & back today with it (about 2 hours total) and it seems to work well. The volume is good & the sound quality is WAY better than an FM transmitter. I hadn't really read through the manual completely about what head unit buttons do what for the iPod control, but moving between playlists & songs withing playlists works well.
WERD!

#9 Old 04-22-2008, 07:00 PM
+++++ J Runner +++++

One thing I'm trying to figure out is that, when the ipod's been drain out of its battery and then you try to charge it via your PA15-TOY, it just wont, is it just me or has anybody experienced the same thing?

#10 Old 04-22-2008, 10:27 PM
Lovin' my Taco!

(Thread Starter)
I have my portable XM hooked up through the aux input on the PA15 & it works great. To listen to it, all you have to do is select Disk 9. The sound through the aux input is good, but I did adjust my XM's line output level to its "high" setting to make the volumes match up.

I might have found a "bug" in it though. I turned on my car stereo & selected the CD-In (PA15) without an iPod connected. It waited patiently for about a minute, then the stereo switched to CD mode. After that, I could not select the PA15 even with the iPod connected. After trying everything I could think of (connect/disconnect iPods, stereo power, car power, etc) the only way I found to make it work was to pull the stereo out & disconnect & reconnect the cable between the PA15 & the stock stereo. Since then, I haven't had any issues, but I haven't tried to duplicate it either.

After several weeks of use with a 2 hour round-trip commute to work each day and a 600 mile road trip, I'm extremely happy with the PA15. The sound is great, the text display works perfectly, and the steering wheel/head unit controls are well integrated. Love it.

(No, I do not work for USA SPEC.)

Groucho - '06 Tacoma TRD
http://www.acceleroto.com/pa15toy/
#11 Old 04-22-2008, 10:32 PM
Lovin' my Taco!

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jotaro View Post
One thing I'm trying to figure out is that, when the ipod's been drain out of its battery and then you try to charge it via your PA15-TOY, it just wont, is it just me or has anybody experienced the same thing?
I haven't tried connecting my iPod when it's low on juice. I've found that since the PA15 continues to charge the iPod for some time after the car power is off, my iPod has remained fully charged since I got my PA15. Nice!

Groucho - '06 Tacoma TRD
#12 Old 05-10-2008, 02:22 PM
SHIFT this

iTrader Score: 5 reviews
Does anyone know if the pa15 cables are long enough to be routed under the manual (if it makes a difference) shifter and reach the center console?

2007 Base 6spd 4x4 - CarDomain
#13 Old 05-10-2008, 04:35 PM
New TN User

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaime View Post
Does anyone know if the pa15 cables are long enough to be routed under the manual (if it makes a difference) shifter and reach the center console?
yup, I have a manual and routed mine to the center console. Works good!
#14 Old 06-05-2008, 11:17 PM
New TN User

Still use CDs?

So, I've read everything I can find and I know the PA15-TOY works with the in-dash CD changer. But, does it take over the CD changer or can I still listen to CDs? If so, how? I've got a 2007 Tacoma.
#15 Old 06-06-2008, 12:13 AM
Lovin' my Taco!

(Thread Starter)
You can still use your in-dash changer just how you do now. When you hook up the PA-15, it gives you another option with the CD button: CD-I (CD Input?). Under CD-I (the PA-15), you'll have 8 disk options (6 playlists & 2 types of direct selection mode). If you use the aux input on the PA-15, you'll have yet another disk under CD-I. Disk 9 becomes your aux input.

Groucho - '06 Tacoma TRD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Tacoma Forum > 2nd Generation (2005+)