airbag light came on? - Page 2 - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
2nd Generation (2005+) Discussion area for the 2nd generation of the Toyota Tacoma

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#16 Old 08-06-2008, 12:50 PM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Try to disconnect the battery for atleast 30 minutes, reconnect and see if the light stays off. Have you done something to drain the battery, run the radio with the engine off? When you start the truck the airbag has to read a certain voltage if it doesnt the light will come on. My light is on now and I need a new battery. I'm waiting to pick up an optima six pack. Good luck.

2005 Tacoma, double cab, silver streak mica,4x4 w/6speed, TRD offroad
Banks Monster exhaust, K&N Air filter
3" toytec coil lift 885 w/AAL in rear
DC-1 polished 17x9's, Goodyear MT/R's 285/70/17
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#17 Old 08-06-2008, 02:39 PM
U Cant win if U dont play

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qslim View Post
It could be a couple of things depending on the diagnosis. Since genuine wiring problems are few and far between on toyotas, the problem is usually in the center airgab sensor, the one that controls all the squibs. It's really sensitive, and sometimes just gives up the ghost. Another possibility is the spiral cable. D squib is the driver airbag, so the circuit goes from the center sensor though a cable that is wound up in the steering wheel, and then to the bag. The spiral cable winds and unwinds every time you turn the wheel like a clock spring, so that is another likely failure point. Did you get a specific diagnosis from the dealer?
Yes. They ran a diagnosis and it came back with the "Open in D Squib Circuit". The tech told me the wiring needed to be replaced and would cost $480. He couldn't answer why it happened though. I don't see a problem right now as long as the airbag won't deploy by itself. I am only worried that it might not pass inspection with the light being on.

2012 Spruce Mica 4x4
#18 Old 08-06-2008, 02:43 PM
Former Toyota/ASE Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuscleRunt View Post
Yes. They ran a diagnosis and it came back with the "Open in D Squib Circuit". The tech told me the wiring needed to be replaced and would cost $480. He couldn't answer why it happened though. I don't see a problem right now as long as the airbag won't deploy by itself. I am only worried that it might not pass inspection with the light being on.
Well, the diagnosis isn't simply reading what the code says. Anyone can do that. Diagnosing involves figuring out exactly what went bad. Someone has to actually use their brain in addition to the scan tool. So they are replacing the spiral cable then?

-- Get him, boy....

Hello to my NSA pals reading this on Echelon

Last edited by Qslim; 08-06-2008 at 02:45 PM.
#19 Old 08-06-2008, 02:58 PM

No. I'm not getting it done. I don't have $500 to fix it right now. I just wanted to find out what may have caused it and if there may be other options.

2012 Spruce Mica 4x4
#20 Old 08-06-2008, 03:02 PM
Former Toyota/ASE Master

What is the part that needs replacing??

-- Get him, boy....

Hello to my NSA pals reading this on Echelon
#21 Old 08-06-2008, 03:25 PM

They told me the entire squib needed to be replaced. It is connected to the steering wheel inside the dash. They say it is "open" meaning it shorted out.

2012 Spruce Mica 4x4
#22 Old 08-06-2008, 03:55 PM
Official TN Member

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
My dad's truck has the same thing happening to it. They said the spiral cable needs to be replaced and it'll cost $480. He's had his truck for a little over 2 years but is way outside the 36k miles. He called up the Toyota 800 number and spoke with a few people and just kept mentioning how it's a safety issue that could in the worse case scenario lead to a lawsuit if it did malfunction and they knowingly didn't fix it. They ended telling him to take it in and pay the local dealership but they will reimburse for the costs.

2006 BSP DC TRD Sport
Allied Spindles, Bilstein Coilovers, Donahoe Rear Resivoir Shocks, AAL, Kumho 285/70/17, Moto Metal 958's, 5-Piece Billet Grille & Recessed Black Grille, Cleared Headlights, Black Skidplate, Volant Intake, Aero Turbine 2525XL, Weathertech Mats, Wet Okole Seat Covers
#23 Old 08-06-2008, 06:27 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
They told me the entire squib needed to be replaced. It is connected to the steering wheel inside the dash. They say it is "open" meaning it shorted out.
MuscleRunt,

Some details for you: B1801 (not D) is open in driver's side squib circuit somewhere. Open means disconnected, not shorted. The circuit in question contains the spiral cable, the spiral cable connector, the instrument panel wire that connects this to the center airbag assembly and it's connectors, the center airbag sensor assembly itself, and the driver's side squib. The service procedure is to test the first four of those things in turn, and if they test okay, then it's the squib, meaning they replace the whole darned steering pad, which is expensive.

If they told you it was the squib, then it sounds like they did the cascade of testing. But if they just pulled the code, they're just guessing, and it could be in one of the first, cheaper things, and you can actually test those yourself. And repair them. For details, try googing the Toyota Tacoma FSM and check out the B1801 section. You'll at least learn a lot.

Meanwhile, the open circuit means that airbag won't deploy, so drive carefully, and think about getting it fixed sometime soon for your safety.
#24 Old 09-20-2008, 05:19 PM
Buck Up or Doe Out (TM)

Alright I just had my sensor turn on. Does anyone happen to know if it is covered under the extended warranty? I assume it would be and I would like to know before I drive an hour and a half to pay a diagnosis fee of 80 bucks and then find out I have to pay the 500 which I dont have. If anyone knows that would be great! Thanks in advance
#25 Old 09-20-2008, 05:31 PM
Buck Up or Doe Out (TM)

Also it seems like my battery is leaking slightly on top of it. So it may be that I need to replace the battery, but I would also like to get the sensor replaced if its still under warranty, might as well get all the shit I can replaced before the warranty goes it considering I paid out of the ass for the warranty and regret not getting Troy's now.
#26 Old 09-20-2008, 05:45 PM

You need to take it to the dealer and get the diagnostic done on it so they can have record of the problem. The problem is a faulty D Squib. Basically, your airbags will not deploy. I was also told there is a chance the airbag could deploy by itself. Basically, the Service Manager and Toyota Rep didn't know what could actually happen. Talk to the Service Manager about the problem and tell him that this is something Toyota needs to take care of.

Then you need to call Toyota and complain about this happening. Make sure you complain about it being a safety hazard. You might also mention that since it is under the steering wheel it is a fault of Toyota design and nothing you the driver could have done to break it.

After I had the diagnostic and got the $485 quote to repair it, I called and complained to Toyota in the same fashion. They called my dealer and spoke to the Service Manager regarding the problem. He informed them that it was a safety hazard and it was something that shouldn't just go out on its own.

Toyota agreed to reimburse me for the service. It takes 2 months to get the reimbursement check, but it is worth it. Maybe if this happens enough and enough people call in to Toyota, they will issue a recall so that no other people have to go through this.

Incidentally, one rep at Toyota told me that I was not the first one to call and complain.

2012 Spruce Mica 4x4
#27 Old 09-20-2008, 06:46 PM
just a nobody

Quote:
After I had the diagnostic and got the $485 quote to repair it, I called and complained to Toyota in the same fashion. They called my dealer and spoke to the Service Manager regarding the problem. He informed them that it was a safety hazard and it was something that shouldn't just go out on its own.

Toyota agreed to reimburse me for the service. It takes 2 months to get the reimbursement check, but it is worth it. Maybe if this happens enough and enough people call in to Toyota, they will issue a recall so that no other people have to go through this.
What did they replace to correct the problem? Because the driver's seat belt can actually cause the same code to set.

N.E.O.
#28 Old 10-22-2008, 07:00 PM
4.0 Smoking

What the hell is this crap!

Mine just turned on a day ago, it turns off for about 30 seconds after i start the truck, then it stays on.

Are there any sensors behind the ac controls?

I checked the sensors under my seats they seem fine.

I also disconnected the battery for about 3mins, as i dont want my radio to reset all my settings. Is that enough time to reset the ecu?

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2069203/1

2005 Pre Runner V6 access cab auto. Helo Maxx 6 17x9 Good Year Silent Armor 275/70/R17. Trd Exhaust, K/N 63 Series Intake w/AEM Filter.....
#29 Old 10-22-2008, 07:43 PM
Wishin I was Fishin

Keep calling the 800 number guys.
#30 Old 10-22-2008, 08:44 PM
Senior TN Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Props to Toyota for agreeing to pay for it. As a side note, the restraint system is warranted for 60 months or 60K.

You know you live in Colorado if you know where the real 'South Park' is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Tacoma Forum > 2nd Generation (2005+)