Big-O Bigfoot A/T Tires? - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
2nd Generation (2005+) Discussion area for the 2nd generation of the Toyota Tacoma

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 09-11-2008, 07:25 PM
20' Daredevil (Retired)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Big-O Bigfoot A/T Tires?

Anybody have 'em, had 'em, or know anything about 'em?

I stopped at a Big-O store today to look at some Michelins, and the guy strongly recommended their store brand -- might be a good tire, or maybe they just make more money off them.

I'd post a pic, but for some reason TN won't let me paste the link or the image...

2005 D-Cab O/R 4x4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-11-2008, 09:23 PM
Senior TN Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
It is a good tire. I have them, love them. Have not had a chance to try them in snow yet, but they have proved themselves admirably on wet, rocky trails and in the mud. They have good traction on the highway and I have never had a hint of hydroplaning with them. They are very quiet for a tire with an aggressive tread as well. All that aside, find out how much per tire for Michelin or any other brand you are going to have to pay to get the same warranty that Big-O gives for free on their brand tires.

You know you live in Colorado if you know where the real 'South Park' is.
#3 Old 09-11-2008, 09:23 PM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
Anybody have 'em, had 'em, or know anything about 'em?

I stopped at a Big-O store today to look at some Michelins, and the guy strongly recommended their store brand -- might be a good tire, or maybe they just make more money off them.

I'd post a pic, but for some reason TN won't let me paste the link or the image...

You may need to get approval to post a link nowalso from an Admin.,since they're not a sponsored Vendor! Sorry,couldn't resist

07' Indigo Prerunner DC TRD Sport,3'' ProComp,AAL,1''Blocks,Bilstien 5125,TC UCA's,285/70/17 Revos,Spidertrax,A.R.E.CX,Dakar LB & Hella 500's,Fog mod,DTRL,TRD CAI & Exhaust,Dominator 2 Nerfs
#4 Old 09-12-2008, 05:05 AM
Senior TN Member

Not going to mess with a picture, but here is a link to what I put on http://www.bigotires.com/TireDetails...&PartNo=007-81

Last edited by Chalkie; 09-12-2008 at 10:20 PM.
#5 Old 09-12-2008, 06:31 PM
***lurking***

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage
I have several buddies that run them on their jeeps. They all have nothing but good things to say about them. My one friend has almost 40k miles on them and they still look pretty much brand new. They never complain about of lack of traction, as they all do some serious offroading, and they perform extremely well in the snow and ice. And it is pretty hard to beat the warranty BIG O offers on their big o brand tires.

Last edited by 08TRDOFFROAD; 09-12-2008 at 06:33 PM.
#6 Old 09-12-2008, 10:15 PM
20' Daredevil (Retired)

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalkie View Post
Not going to mess with a picture, but here is a link to what I put on http://www.bigotires.com/TireDetails...&PartNo=007-81
Link doesn't work for me Server Error in '/' Application.

Tire sounds pretty good so far...

2005 D-Cab O/R 4x4
#7 Old 09-12-2008, 10:22 PM
20' Daredevil (Retired)

(Thread Starter)
So, tonight the board will let me copy & paste... I swear I am doing everything the same way I did before.

Here's the tire -- kinda hard to see, but it has lots of good siping.

And here's the web page. Unfortunately, no specs on the tire. http://www.bigotires.com/TireDetails...&PartNo=007-93

Chalkie, I see you are running 265/75-16

2005 D-Cab O/R 4x4

Last edited by Splicer; 09-12-2008 at 10:25 PM.
#8 Old 09-12-2008, 10:27 PM
Senior TN Member

Quote:
Link doesn't work for me Server Error in '/' Application.

Tire sounds pretty good so far...
I checked the link and it works for me, but it could be that I have a cookie on my system for shopping at my local Big O.

Here is a pic of the tire:

I would suggest for more details go to their website and get more info there.

I forgot to mention you can get this tire in a Load Range C or E. I went with the C as I think the E would be overkill and make for a much stiffer ride.

Edit: With the C range tires I have to air down to at least 20 on the trails or it will shake your teeth out.

Last edited by Chalkie; 09-12-2008 at 10:29 PM.
#9 Old 09-12-2008, 11:51 PM
20' Daredevil (Retired)

(Thread Starter)
Shoot, I now get an error message when I click on the link I posted! Grumble grumble...

I have been to the website (where I found the info above)... but was unable to find any specifications.

I agree a LR-E is way too stiff for a mid-size truck. In fact, I have all but decided to replace my OEM P-metrics with another set of P-metrics. Our trucklet sees virtually all road use and carries no heavy loads.

2005 D-Cab O/R 4x4
#10 Old 09-13-2008, 07:55 AM
Senior TN Member

Quote:
Shoot, I now get an error message when I click on the link I posted! Grumble grumble...

I have been to the website (where I found the info above)... but was unable to find any specifications.

I agree a LR-E is way too stiff for a mid-size truck. In fact, I have all but decided to replace my OEM P-metrics with another set of P-metrics. Our trucklet sees virtually all road use and carries no heavy loads.
I think the link issues have more to do with Big O's website than your (or mine) ability to post links.

As I recall, that tire is avail in a P-metric but my local store did not stock it (for that matter they did not stock the LR-E either) as they never sold enough to make it worth while. I actually think the LR-C tire handles better on the highway than the OEM tires did and (this is an important factor) I have not gotten any complaints from the wife about ride quality.

What kind of specs are you looking for? I can pull the info off the sidewall of mine if that is what you are wanting.

#11 Old 09-13-2008, 10:47 AM
20' Daredevil (Retired)

(Thread Starter)
Thanks Chalkie -- I'm curious about tire weight & tread depth, which won't be on the sidewall. Maximum load and max inflation should be, though... and for your LR-C tires I'm guessing 50 psi at close to 2470#?

How many miles are on your tires, how often do you rotate them, are they wearing evenly, do you know what the tread depth is now, and how much pressure do you run in them? Thanks -- sorry for so many questions!

2005 D-Cab O/R 4x4
#12 Old 09-13-2008, 11:09 PM
Senior TN Member

Quote:
Thanks Chalkie -- I'm curious about tire weight & tread depth, which won't be on the sidewall. Maximum load and max inflation should be, though... and for your LR-C tires I'm guessing 50 psi at close to 2470#?

How many miles are on your tires, how often do you rotate them, are they wearing evenly, do you know what the tread depth is now, and how much pressure do you run in them? Thanks -- sorry for so many questions!
You're right, some of this I can't answer.

2470 @ 50 PSI is right on. I only run mine at 35 however.

From the sidewall, tread is 1 ply nylon, 2 ply steel, 2 ply polyester. I was told this is a "6-ply" rating. Sidewall is 2 ply polyester.

I only have about 4000 miles on them so far and have not rotated them. Big O gives free rotations every 5000 miles. I can see no signs of uneven wear. In fact, I cannot see any signs of wear. I don't know what the tread depth was new, but currently it is .425" (measured with a caliper).

I think my fuel economy has actually increased somewhat with them (stiffer sidewall? a little higher pressure than the stockers?). I ran to Denver this morning and for the round trip got 21.3 mpg (as reported by my ScanGauge) on a trip where I was running 70+ for most of it.

#13 Old 09-13-2008, 11:39 PM
20' Daredevil (Retired)

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for hangin' with me on this, most guys would have gotten bored or lost interest... The P-metrics probably have similar construction but lighter-weight polyester plies and no nylon tread cap.

Tread depth is measured in 32nds of an inch, and most new LT-C tires have 14/32 to 15/32, with a few at 16/32. Your measurement of .425" is equal to 13.6/32, so assuming 14/32 when new, your tread wear has been minimal; certainly not enough to see. That's encouraging, as are your other comments, as well as those from 08TRDOFFROAD.

Looks like I have a new leading contender to consider when replacement time rolls around this fall. This is a tire I had never heard of until a couple days ago, and just came across it by chance at a tire dealer I usually ignore. Hmmmm....

2005 D-Cab O/R 4x4
#14 Old 09-14-2008, 12:00 AM
Senior TN Member

I will confirm what 08TRDOFFROAD said as well. I have several friends that run these tires, which was one of the things that got me to look at them in the first place. I was originally leaning towards the Cooper Discoverer ST or the Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo. The Bigfoot A/T is easily comparible to either of those, for less money, with a better warranty.

Another thing that might wiegh into your decision process is that most Big O stores are independently owned. I found that they are more willing to deal with you on price (at least at the store where I bought mine). The customer service was so good at the store where I got mine, that I went to them this summer for new tires for my camper, and will be going there this fall for new tires on my wife's Forester.

#15 Old 01-29-2011, 02:32 AM
New TN User

I have had a lot of experience with this tire. The treadwear is great, the traction is only fair in the snow but good in the rocks. The one thing bad about the tire is the load range C is pretty flimsy. I have had at least three separate tire failures with sharp rocks penetrating the still substantial tread and ruining the tire. Of course Big O stood by them and replaced every one no questions asked. Get the E series if you dont want to end up with a flat/ruined tire. As far as noise goes, they are moderately noisy, but not excessive. I would not recommend this tire for serious off roading, but that is just because this tire is more suited to the mild off roader due to tread design and traction. Another post mentioned the ride of the C series, In my experience both the C and E are about the same so don't let the supposed better ride sway you into getting what turns out to be a flimsy tire.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Tacoma Forum > 2nd Generation (2005+)