My '06 is starting to rust and the wheels are corroding.... I'm NOT thrilled! - Page 3 - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
2nd Generation (2005+) Discussion area for the 2nd generation of the Toyota Tacoma

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#31 Old 03-18-2009, 09:31 AM
Lady in Red

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
I awaiting on the next visit of the district manager to look at my sport wheels too. My wheels are much more corroded than those pictured above but not as bad as some folks I've seen posted in other threads. Hopefully they will refinish mine as well. My truck is immaculate otherwise so they can see I take extreme care of it and its never seen salt in winter or been near a boat ramp. I also put Klasse AIO on mine from the time I got the truck (3 years, 25,000 mi.).

Radiant Red
06 Prerunner Access Cab V6 auto TRD Sport w/tow pkg and OEM SS tube steps, Michelin LTX MS2 tires.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2282285
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 03-18-2009, 11:24 AM
J.O.A.T, Master of none

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
While I would admit that my wheel pics didn't look too bad when I took them, I took a second look today. They have really gotten worse, and fast. The wheel that is the worst was just beginning to bubble, now it looks terminal. I guess once the finish is comprimised it's just a matter of time

HotRod

'14 Sport DC/LB, super white, LEER 100XL, Weathertech visors and floor liners, '07 Camry XLE I4, '06 Camry XLE V6, '06 Tacoma traded @175K.

#33 Old 04-30-2009, 06:49 PM
Yo quiero Taco 4 wheel!

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by colvilletacoma View Post
AGAIN, its a toyota.....dont be suprised. Go buy another rig if it bugs you so much
What an absolute knuckle-headed thing to say. If you don't have anything constructive to say, don't say anything, or go to another forum. I don't care what brand it is, I wouldn't expect ANY new vehicle to start rusting after the first year. Today, I was under my 2008 Taco changing the oil, and was very disappointed at what I saw. My '08 has more under carriage corrosion and rust after 12 months than my '99 Taco had after 6 years! My OEM steelies, chrome lug nuts, and rear bumper are rusting as well. NOT acceptable! If Toyota doesn't remove their craniums from their rectums, this will likely be my last.

2008 Desert Sand Mica AC 4x4 2.7L 5 spd

#34 Old 04-30-2009, 07:24 PM
J.O.A.T, Master of none

(Thread Starter)
UPDATE, the dealer refinished all 4 wheels last week under warranty. They look like brand new! Hopefully they will hold up, but as for now they are great!

HotRod

'14 Sport DC/LB, super white, LEER 100XL, Weathertech visors and floor liners, '07 Camry XLE I4, '06 Camry XLE V6, '06 Tacoma traded @175K.

#35 Old 04-30-2009, 09:40 PM
Mine is better than yours

iTrader Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRod53 View Post
Yup.... 85.5K now, no wonder the fuel door broke off huh?

06trdtaco, your dealer is right 3/36 on the corrosion. I was fortunate that my dealer spoke to the District Rep and he agreed to fix the wheels. I guess it's a matter of the dealer going to bat for you.

Orangemaniac, I'm shocked, you're the first to report that it is actually rust. Mine was diagnosed as the orangish grease streaking down the door and I have no signs of rust when I looked.

I just noticed the rust colored streaks running down both rear doors from the handles. I will be pulling the inner door panels and handles to see what's going on.

The frame is also bad as others have stated, I've got more rust than paint.

Marc M

'06 Tacoma Dbl-cab, 4X4, V6, 6-spd, SR5 / TRD Off Road
'05 Corolla XRS 6-Spd
'00 Echo 5-Spd
'90 4Runner SR5 5-Spd - '86 Shortbed 4X4 5-Spd,SAS'd ASAP - '82 Supra 5-Spd
Take your automatic and "Stick" it........
#36 Old 05-01-2009, 06:44 AM
J.O.A.T, Master of none

(Thread Starter)
Marc, I'll be curious to know what you find, please update us. Maybe it's these harsh Western PA conditions...LOL

HotRod

#37 Old 06-24-2009, 11:20 AM
Lady in Red

I have an update on my wheels. The district manager met me at my dealer today and said he will have my wheels replaced. Of course he said it might be due to using harsh chemicals to clean the wheels or something like that but I just nodded and told him I don't use anything stronger than car wash soap (and very little wheel black since I don't like the shiny look on the tires). It's a one time deal though so if the next ones do the same thing they won't replace them again. Overall I'm pleased. I thought they might just refinish them but new ones are fine with me! Maybe they've fixed the finish problem by now.

Radiant Red
06 Prerunner Access Cab V6 auto TRD Sport w/tow pkg and OEM SS tube steps, Michelin LTX MS2 tires.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2282285
#38 Old 06-25-2009, 08:40 PM
4x4 Sport

Had my truck at the dealership today to take care of my wheels. They were really bad!! They replaced tem with a set that was re-finished. Not new, but they look like new, so I'm happy. I'll be keeping a very close eye on them between now and October when my warranty expires. They also are ordering new pads for the rear door handles. They said it was a flaw in the part that is supposed to keep the "elements" away from the unfinished parts in the door. They will also replace the rusted bolt and clean up the nice rust stain that is a pain in the a$$ to clean off after it rains. I advise everyone to look at the bolt behind that pad. just lock the doors and pull the handle, and pry up the black plastic piece that is between the handle and the door. have a peek...

'06 DC LB Sport, 265/70 17 Discoverer STT's, Cleared Headlights, Extang Trifecta (Sig), WeatherTech's, Rear Susp TSB.
#39 Old 06-25-2009, 08:46 PM
Official TN Member

iTrader Score: 13 reviews
You want to see corrosion on an 06? Cut off the rear spring hangers and check out the condition of the frame there!!! It will be deep and extensive. It's just what metal does.
#40 Old 06-27-2009, 08:04 AM
Official TN Member

speaking of rust... i was up under the dash yesterday and i noticed the support frame or whatever the metal underneath the instrument panel is called, is COMPLETELY rusted on my super clean '07. it looks like this metal part sat outside in Japan or somewhere and got oxidized before assembly. anyone else notice this? rust in the interior is so un-necessary!!!
#41 Old 06-29-2009, 09:31 AM
One with the force

get some of this stuff to use on the wheels..Waxes that are for body work ok..but they are not made for the high temp around the wheel area and will fade off quickly
http://autogeek.net/dp-wheel-glaze.html

Custom Exhaust|TRD CAI|URD Short Shifter|Black Headlights|MSR 093 20x8.5 Wheels|Nitto 555 - 255/35/20|DTLT headers|Sittin Sic Street Drop|NST Crank Pulley|Recessed Grill Mod
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Tacoma Forum > 2nd Generation (2005+)