From 245/75-R16 to 265/70-R16 - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
2nd Generation (2005+) Discussion area for the 2nd generation of the Toyota Tacoma

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 03-03-2009, 12:01 PM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
From 245/75-R16 to 265/70-R16

Hey guys,

I have some questions and I hope you guys can help me answer them once and for all. I've seen the wheel and tire fitment thread but it appears that is mainly focused on the aftermarket wheel/tire crowd. My question concerns changing from one OEM tire size to another.

This past weekend we had quite the snow storm here in Georgia and it was not very fun being stuck in the snow while others passed me quite easily. Therefore I decided that not only should I get rid of these crappy Dunlops but that I should consider going to the wider OEM tire size but I'm not positive of the changes required.

1st - Can the 265/70-R16 fit on the standard steel wheel? (ie wideness constraint)

2nd - I've seen that some have said the speedometer will read "correctly" with 265/70-R16 tires compared to 245/75-R16 tires. Is this true?

3rd - I've seen in the rear spring TSB that wheel alignment specs are called out and many of them differ between the Prerunner SR5 with 245/75-R16 and the TRD Offroad with 265/70-R16. Do the differences come from the tire size or from the suspension difference? If I change from 245 to 265 wide tires should I give my tire guy a copy of the TSB and tell them to use the TRD Offroad specs?

Thanks guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-03-2009, 01:09 PM
Official TN Member

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
You can change from 245/75/16 to 265/70/16 on the OEM base model steel wheel no problem. I did that myself.

You will notice a slight difference in the speedometer reading after doing this... my speed seems to be more accurate now than it was before I upgraded my tires.

I had the rear TSB done too... but still had the 245's when that was completed... but I don't notice an issue with my setup now after changing tires.

Blacked out 2008 Silver Streak Access Cab 4x4 4 Banger
#3 Old 03-03-2009, 01:24 PM
One with the force

iTrader Score: 4 reviews
I had the 245 size tires and got the trd wheels with 265/70/16 put on, and my speedometer read 83 and really it was 80 according to my scangauge.

Black Sand Pearl 2006 Dbl Cab LB,
#4 Old 03-03-2009, 01:43 PM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonjason View Post
I had the rear TSB done too... but still had the 245's when that was completed... but I don't notice an issue with my setup now after changing tires.
I only mentioned this because in the TSB document itself it has different camber, toe, etc specs for the SR5 with 245 and the TRD with 265. My question is a. Are the different specs a result of the tire size or the suspension difference? and b. Are the differences large enough to be concerned with?
#5 Old 03-03-2009, 04:32 PM
Official TN Member

anyone of you guys see a MPG drop goin from the 245/75/16 to the 265/70/16???
#6 Old 03-03-2009, 04:35 PM
One with the force

iTrader Score: 4 reviews
Me i havent noticed but i drive like i stole my truck, it shouldnt to much of a difference,

Black Sand Pearl 2006 Dbl Cab LB,
#7 Old 03-03-2009, 11:16 PM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNfarmerTRD View Post
anyone of you guys see a MPG drop goin from the 245/75/16 to the 265/70/16???
I hope it won't go down too much. I like my 21-22 mpg.
#8 Old 03-04-2009, 01:16 PM
Official TN Member

I consistently achieved 23 MPG last summer while I had the 245's (90% highway). I changed from stock steelies and 245's to TRD Trail Teams alloys and 265's in November I think... and noticed about a 2 MPG drop to 21 MPG... but I am still not convinced this is accurate. I think there may be a combination of factors involved that make my particular data incorrect...

Speedometer inaccurate with 245's anyway?
Winter blend gas?
Tire size change?

I have ruled out the wheel change as a factor because I have since changed back to my stock steelies with the 265... nothing changed with my MPG when changing from alloys to steelies.

I also don't really see the tire change as a big deal as the 2 tires sizes being compared have very near the same revolutions per mile... see data below from this tool:

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Hopefully when the summer blend gas arrives I will know for sure if that is even a factor. I would like nothing more than to return to my 23 MPG numbers with my 265's.

#9 Old 03-04-2009, 02:19 PM
Official TN Member

Quote:
I consistently achieved 23 MPG last summer while I had the 245's (90% highway). I changed from stock steelies and 245's to TRD Trail Teams alloys and 265's in November I think... and noticed about a 2 MPG drop to 21 MPG... but I am still not convinced this is accurate. I think there may be a combination of factors involved that make my particular data incorrect...

Speedometer inaccurate with 245's anyway?
Winter blend gas?
Tire size change?

I have ruled out the wheel change as a factor because I have since changed back to my stock steelies with the 265... nothing changed with my MPG when changing from alloys to steelies.

I also don't really see the tire change as a big deal as the 2 tires sizes being compared have very near the same revolutions per mile... see data below from this tool:

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Hopefully when the summer blend gas arrives I will know for sure if that is even a factor. I would like nothing more than to return to my 23 MPG numbers with my 265's.
do you have any pics of your truck with the trail teams wheels and 265's on it?? thats excatly what iam wanting to do!
#10 Old 03-04-2009, 06:53 PM
Official TN Member

Not a good pic, but the only one I have. The pics don't do them justice... I got LOTS of compliments on them while they were on the truck.

Unfortunately, I sold the wheels because my wife lost her job and the economy is brutal. Luckily, those wheels are so hard to find I got way more than I paid for them.

#11 Old 03-04-2009, 07:21 PM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Not a good pic, but the only one I have. The pics don't do them justice... I got LOTS of compliments on them while they were on the truck.

Unfortunately, I sold the wheels because my wife lost her job and the economy is brutal. Luckily, those wheels are so hard to find I got way more than I paid for them.

looks good man!!! and is that stock suspension and 265/70/16 right? not 265/75/16....
#12 Old 03-04-2009, 09:12 PM
Official TN Member

^ Yes... Stock suspension (with rear TSB) and 265/70/16 Yokohama Geolander A/T-S.

#13 Old 03-04-2009, 09:53 PM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Anyone have any more thoughts on if the 265s make the speedometer read "correctly" compared to the 240s? Or if the different alignment specs for the two tire sizes should be a concern?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Tacoma Forum > 2nd Generation (2005+)