Toyota Nation Forum banner

Tacomas and slide-in campers!

17K views 40 replies 12 participants last post by  mjonags32 
#1 · (Edited)
Tacomas and campers- PICS ARE UP!

Camper pics.......

is anyone else putting a slide in camper on their Tacoma? Mines an '08 Access cab TRD, and I found a 6 foot 6 inch camper from the 1970's, that works great! It's in really good shape, it was stored under cover for the last 15 years or so. :eek:

I had to build up the "basement" about 3 1/2 inches so it sits higher in the box, because I guess back in the day, import pickups had much lower box sides than today. The only other thing to overcome was the fact that the camper is not much wider than the truck, so the tie down points are a bit closer to the truck body than I would like - but it works fine.
I'll do some customizing on those tie down points later.

The camper only cost me 700 CDN, so it is a pretty cheap experiment -
So far, it looks perfect for what I want - a couple weeks per year hunting, and a couple of fishing trips here and there.

I'd be interested to see pics of what you're using, and how you've got it set up!

Camper pics:

Interior pics:

Table comes out and the bench slides out to make a full size bed.

The cab-over portion needs a foamy, and it is also a bed, but not if you are over 6' tall.

- I had the bolt-on style tie down bars installed, rather than a "belly bar", so as not to lose any clearance.
The rear tie down bars bolt onto the OEM hitch. Pretty standard stuff: You then insert a smaller bar into each of the receivers, which have chains attached, and secure the other end of the chains up to the camper's securing points.

See less See more
#2 ·
sounds cool. What does it weigh? I have never seen one of these on a mod size truck like the taco or nissan ect..

#3 · (Edited)
I don't know the exact weight yet - I haven't found the sticker plate - but I'd guess it is no more than 650 ~ 750 pounds. I hauled it up to my cabin 450 kilometers, and didn't even notice it. Truck handled fine.
At that weight, should be no prob staying within the 1380 max. after filling it up with gear, food, water etc.

It has a propane furnace, ice box, 2 burner stove, water tank, can take "shore power", direct water hose all the usual stuff.

There are not a lot of options for campers (yet) for Taco owners as far as I know, unless you want to spend 10,000 on a Northern Lite or something similar. Only other choice is to find an older camper in decent shape. Most are 7' or 7'6", and hang out the back a ways, and are too heavy. I was quite pleased to find the little 6'6"er.

#4 ·
Get some pics up when you can. We just got back from camping. I was sick as a dog.

#6 ·
cool camper man. Thanks for the pics. Looks like fun! we go dry camping for 1 week next week. I like it allot.

#7 ·
Good god man that thing is hideous! I know, I know, function over form but damn! On a positive note, it does sound like it's super convenient.

#8 ·
True not the greatest looking thing I have seen but I have to say that paint can make that all better too!!!

#10 ·
Sorry I didnt mean I did not like it I just ment that paint can make it look like more current and match your truck better!

#13 ·
I like it also,They really were the rage in the 70's.
Makes more sense than pulling a trailer or tent'n it for
a hunting trip.A friend of mind had one of these,and many a good time was
had in that truckcamper.
Now you need a sticker on the back that reads "If this truck is rocking don't bother knocking" lol

#15 ·
Interior pics of the camper updated in the original post....

Makes more sense than pulling a trailer or tent'n it for
a hunting trip.
To tell you the truth, for hunting, I'd rather pull something like a small Boler trailer - 'cause with a camper, when you get to camp, your truck is not much use to you anymore unless you dismount the unit, which I find a PITA.

I usually bring an ATV hunting as well, but since my ATV doesn't fit in the back of the Tacoma without riding up on the wheel wells, I had to find a different solution. That's the main reason why I went with a camper.

Having said all that, the camper is ideal for fishing trips or just camping here and there. I really like it!

#20 ·
Wow the inside is in great shape. It looks like it was only camped in a handfull of times. Good score popcan.

#28 ·
Here is what I just picked up last weekend. 1984 Komfort Lite Travel Trailer. 17' and under 2k lbs dry.

Cosmetically it looks like a POS, but everything works (water, fridge, battery, propane, etc). I'm in the process of completely renovating the interior. I'll keep you guys posted.

#22 ·
All I have is a simple 4x8 utility trailer. Nothing specal. I do the tent thing but am thinking i will get a popup some day when I get the "big raise" i'm due or I have paid off my loan.

#23 ·
If you found the id plate what is the make and model of the camper? I would really like to find one of those for the weekend fishing / hunting trips. The interior is in amazing shape for the age. Nice find and let us know how it works after the first trip out.

Thanks for any info.

Cheers

#24 ·
It was made by Tristar, in Penticton, B.C..... model 51 for what it's worth. I don't think the company exists anymore... but there are a number of these older type campers around. Just got to dig a bit. Do you have "Craigslist" or something similar in your area? It's a free site to list things for sale, or freecycle. That's how I found mine.

You can also look for a "camperette", which is like a camper but does not have an overhead sleeping berth. The cab over portion is much smaller and might just be a shelf or storage area.

good luck!

#26 ·
Here's a camper I saw at a local RV show about a month before I got my truck. 1050lbs dry weight... but if someone wanted a newer camper, here it is.

http://www.northern-lite.com/lite610.html

YUP, saw those, and for only about 10 - 12,000.00 you can have one, :eek: and then it is too heavy on a Taco. That is 1050 DRY weight, so you haven't put any of your gear, food, water, or passengers into it yet.

There's a really nice pop-top available as well, super light, but same kind of cost as the northern lite.

#29 ·
^^^Can you get some pics of the inside?

#32 ·
Nice!
I will likely look for a good used trailer like that too one day, as trailers and campers both have their pluses and minuses depending on what you are doing. ie, staying in one campsite with the wife/gf for a week at a time would be nicer in a roomy trailer. On my own, hunting, the camper is fine, for getting into rougher terrain.

I was told the main thing to look for in older used trailers is frame rust forward of the axel.... as long as the interior is good and leak free its all good.

More pics of what you got!

#33 ·
^ actually, the #1 thing to look for is any leaks, dry rot, mold etc. if you have damp wood, very bad things can happen.

as for more pics...

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t80/mjonags32/1984 Komfort Lite TT

Once I get the thing completely redone, I'll update all you guys with a new post, that way I'm not thread jacking more than I already am. :D

(BTW... the trailer already looks different. no more blinds and new vinyl floor is pretty much done. wallpaper and upholstery is next :naughty:)

#34 ·
here is what Im going caming in, I know its a bit larger than a truck camper. :lol: we paid 5900$ for it last year. Its an 2006 jayco jayflight 27BH. Book is allot more than what we paid. IT was used as a rental so its not super clean. Its got some bumps and bruses inside. I replaced the carpet and the bedding and its good to go now.

here is the camper we had before the jayco.

here is the popup we had for a few months before the forest river

/the end :clap:

#36 ·
Haha no way, You got to see some of the 1/2 million dollar rigs in some of these campgrounds.

I was really luckey to upgrade every year while spending very little like you guys did. The wife allready wants a 5th wheel setup :eek:

#39 ·
I still can't believe that was only $300. Quick search on my local craigslist puts equivalents in the $2000-$3000 range and the condition is similar.
Yeah I got extremely lucky. I was on craigslist every couple of hours everyday checking and checking for a good deal. After a few weeks of constant-lurk mode, I found my diamond in the rough!:clap:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.