2005+ Bent tailgate problem TSBO018-07 - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Tacoma Forum > 2nd Generation (2005+)

2nd Generation (2005+) Discussion area for the 2nd generation of the Toyota Tacoma

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2009, 10:21 AM   #1 (permalink)
New TN User

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View adet16v's Photo Gallery
2005+ Bent tailgate problem TSBO018-07

This past weekend my tailgate was bent when unloading a waverunner from the bed of my 2005 4x4 access cab tacoma. It was an older smaller 2 seater with a total weight of ~500lb +/-.

I was unloading it and as I pulled it out to the edge of the bed and the weight shifted partially to the tailgate the tailgate began to bend right in the middle at the free end leaving a large dent above the handle on the body panel. I would estimate there was ~350 lbs on the tailgate at the most and it was not directly bearing on the edge of the tailgate as most of the waverunner was still in the bed of the truck.

I found a technical service bulletin for this specific problem as I was actually searching for a used tailgate for replacement of my dented one. But of course, I am ineligible for the TSB repair because I am out of warranty.

I called Toyota's 1-800 # to file a formal complaint. I informed the representative of what had happened and she tried to tell me that in the owners manual it recommends removing the tailgate for loading and unloading - I of course asked "what page" she put me on hold and came back and said that actually it is not listed in the owners manual, nor is there a weight limit listed for the tailgate nor is there any indication of it on the tailgate but that Toyota's official stance is that "the tailgate is a non load bearing body panel similar to a door". She informed me of the TSB issued for this specific problem but said that since my 36,000mile/3year warranty is expired that they will not do anything for me and I'm stuck with it.

I informed her that my official stance is that by issuing a TSB for this specific problem that Toyota is publicly admitting that the tailgate is poorly designed and the design was strengthened for later models beginning with manufacture dates 2/2007 forward and that regardless of mileage they should fix the problem as it arises in all affected vehicles with the original tailgate design. I informed her that it aslo does not reflect highly on toyotas "quality" that they claim in every commercial. Again she told me nothing could be done "its a non load bearing body panel, and I shouldn't have put weight on it blah blah. I then brought up the possibility of it bending if 2 or more people were to sit on it or bending it when climbing into the bed... she said thats perfectly plausible but again too bad... out of warranty.

Overall I love this truck but this recent event has me extremely upset and dissappointed with it. Basically you can put 1200 lbs in the bed but you have to take the tailgate off to load/unload anything over a couple hundred pounds. What about loading 4 wheelers or motorcycles or lawnmowers etc into the bed?? Its a TRUCK you should be able to put weight on the tailgate!

For anyone else with a similar problem PM me and I'll send you a copy of the TSB for the strengthening kit - if you are under warranty go get it done; if not call and file a formal complaint.

TSBO018-07

Others please feel free to comment or share you're experience with this problem. If you haven't bent you're tailgate yet - take heed.
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2009, 12:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Gameroom cash: $102225
View dtaco's Photo Gallery
Yup, you're screwed. I bent my tailgate unloading my motorcycle (around 400 wet I think) with 41k on the clock. I took it in to try and get it fixed and was told the same thing about being outside the 36k even though my truck was just barely 2 years old at the time. I was supposed to talk to a regional but my dealership blows and they never called and I didn't have the energy to fight with it since I knew the tailgate was weak and it was pretty much my own stupidity for not enforcing the gate for the unload.

Not sure where you're located, but there's a place up around Sacramento that deals strictly in wrecked Toyotas. Not sure what the price is but I've looked there a few times and found pictures of trucks with wrecked front ends but the rear is in perfect condition.
dtaco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2009, 12:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
New TN User

View adet16v's Photo Gallery
Yeah my buddy has an '07 and I warned him about what happened to mine - he pulled the plastic cover off just to look at how the tailgate was built and gues what - his is bent too. So he's calling to file a formal complaint with toyota.

its ridiculous that they put a warning on the cupholder that says "for cans only"

when you bend the tailgate and tell them they come back and say its a "non load bearing body panel"

Where is the warning or mention of this in the owners manual???

It should say RIGHT ON THE TAILGATE "This tailgate is non structural and is not intended for standing or sitting on or for use during loading or unloading of the cargo box and is solely in place to improve fuel efficiency of the vehicle"

Call 1 800 331 4331 and file an official complaint - maybe if enough people call something will be done.
Old 06-03-2009, 12:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
Official TN Member

View capita's Photo Gallery
This is by far one of the worst aspects of the Tacoma. It's such a horrible cheap tailgate on a truck. It's a truck for crying out loud! Sorry to hear they wouldn't do anything for you. That sucks
Old 06-03-2009, 04:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
Medical Research equip

View AleroAero's Photo Gallery
I got spair 1/8 & 1/16 steel I guess I know what I will be using it for. 1 to prevent the "plastic cover" on the tailgate from caveing in and 2 to hopefully strengthen the bugger. Even tho my Tacoma is an 09 after reading the forums I feel it deserves some personal attention.
AleroAero is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2009, 11:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
New TN User

View phacadez's Photo Gallery
i had the same problem ... took it to toyota and after talking with the service manager he mentioned the tsb and a week later i had the new tailgate painted and installed for $0...i bought my taco certified pre-owned and it had 50,000 on it when they fixed the tailgate and i have no extened warranty
phacadez is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2009, 12:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
New TN User

View 241's Photo Gallery
www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/attachments/tacoma/29679d1205763209-2005-technical-service-bulletins-bo018-07.pdf
241 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2009, 03:30 PM   #8 (permalink)
I aim for squirrels

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
View Herculean's Photo Gallery
I just finished strengthening the tailgate on my 07 similar to what I did on my 05. This time around instead of going with aluminum diamond plating, I just used steel (I forget the gauge, but it's almost 1/8" thick) and had it line-x'd. It's strong as hell now and I'm more worried about the support cables snapping than the tailgate bending. I figure I'll use a couple ratchet straps to help support it when I haul my 650lb motorcycle on it. A local metal shop charged me about $25 to cut the metal to size for me and the line-x shop charged me $110 to have it primed and coated. I did all the drilling.

Oh, found this pic of the one I did before on my 05.

Donahoe Racing coilovers & modified 4 leaf w/Fox 2.0 on A/R Chambers and 285/75/16BFG KM2's
Custom sliders, skids, Flowmaster 40, K&N

Last edited by Herculean; 06-05-2009 at 03:36 PM.
Herculean is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2009, 03:34 PM   #9 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Gameroom cash: $102225
View dtaco's Photo Gallery
Looks good, if I ever get around to having my tailgate fixed I'll definitely do something to strengthen it, especially if I ever start taking my bike to the track.
dtaco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2014, 06:12 PM   #10 (permalink)
New TN User

View tgrasshopper's Photo Gallery
I bent mine this weekend wile loading a skidoo. it's a 2013 with 10 525 kilo. I can't believe it. My mechanic had told me not to by a toyota that I'd bent the tailgate with my ATV or my skidoo.

I was stab-urn and din't believe him.

I went to see my dealer they took picture and there are sending it to toyota canada. I told me dealer; If they don't replace it, I'd leave it just like that. I'll have a sticket made that will say think twice before buying a tacoma the tailgate are made of paper. The girl din't find me funny.

I sent you a PM for that strengthening kit....
tgrasshopper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Tacoma Forum > 2nd Generation (2005+)