Lurch when turning at slow speeds w/ 4x4 engaged - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
2nd Generation (2005+) Discussion area for the 2nd generation of the Toyota Tacoma

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 01-12-2010, 09:52 AM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Lurch when turning at slow speeds w/ 4x4 engaged

So I found a single post here about a taco coming to a stop with 4H engaged and turning at slow speeds. Only one reply said it was the wheels fighting against each other. I'm not sure why since there was no explanation and my Subaru never did that, but what I'm more concerned about is my taco lurches in these conditions. Slow, fast, slow, fast, and it's very difficult to control, especially when trying to park in a parking lot. I find I have to turn back to 2H to get control to park, which can be dangerous as well on icy surfaces. Is this a common issue or do I need to get this checked out? Better yet, how do I fix the problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-12-2010, 10:04 AM
Completely Numb

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithrust View Post
So I found a single post here about a taco coming to a stop with 4H engaged and turning at slow speeds. Only one reply said it was the wheels fighting against each other. I'm not sure why since there was no explanation and my Subaru never did that, but what I'm more concerned about is my taco lurches in these conditions. Slow, fast, slow, fast, and it's very difficult to control, especially when trying to park in a parking lot. I find I have to turn back to 2H to get control to park, which can be dangerous as well on icy surfaces. Is this a common issue or do I need to get this checked out? Better yet, how do I fix the problem?
Your subaru was ALL WHEEL drive. Not FOUR WHEEL drive. Big difference there. There is no problem. You're going to get that lurch when you're in 4WD with the wheel turned alot because the wheels are, like in the post you found, "Fighting against each other" more or less. Where do you live that you need to be in 4WD to park anyway?

2006 super white Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport AC (19.81 MPG average)
K&N intake w/ AEM dryflow
Flowmaster Dual Exit Exhaust
Pioneer AVH-P3100
#3 Old 01-12-2010, 10:10 AM
Got Snow?

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Thanked 1,027 Times in 809 Posts
Garage
As stated, completely normal. I take it out of 4wd when parking at places like the grocery store if there's not enough ice/snow on the ground to avoid this problem (and most of the time you can still get into those spaces in 2wd even with ice/snow on the ground). It is a pain, but something you get used to.

'05 4x4 DC LB SR5 (LSD & Tow Pkg), Timbrens, AAL, 5100s, 12/3/04
Mods: Fog, Map/Dome Light, Illuminated 4wd Selector Switch,
DIY Washable Cabin Air Filter (Moose Filter Mod) | & 2010 Highlander 4WD
#4 Old 01-12-2010, 10:23 AM
Official TN Member

The reason this did not happen with the subaru was because it has a center differential for all road driving. When you turn, the front wheels are travelling faster than the back wheels so the lurching is due to the wheels travelling at different speeds and a solid conection between them.
#5 Old 01-12-2010, 10:53 AM
One with the force

If in 4wd, on a traction surface, just remember to take the widest arc turn you can to minimize binding.

You can see this happen on grass or wet snow, take a tight turn in 4wd, the inside wheel takes a shorter arc then the others, and scuffs the surface cause it can slip... but on pavement it can't, hence the binding.

6-spd, 05' D-cab Sport 4x4, Tow pkg, TRD exhaust
Summer: Stock 17's
Winter: Blizzaks on 16' black steelies

Last edited by demoncleaner; 01-12-2010 at 11:00 AM.
#6 Old 01-12-2010, 08:25 PM
Official TN Member

Agreed with all above. I put mine on 4L since I had not engaged in awhile. Feels like someone is pulling you from the front if your on pavement.
#7 Old 01-12-2010, 10:34 PM
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Thanks everyone. A little edumacation goes a long way.

It's a bummer that the truck can't even pull out onto the street without sliding unless 4Hi is engaged, so I guess the moral of the story is be careful. Period. I have to say I'm missing my Legacy GT LTD more and more...., but I could use the truck. Maybe after my basement is finished I'll switch back.
#8 Old 01-12-2010, 10:59 PM
Take off, eh!

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
^ or you could just get some real tires.

Not sure if the Dunflops still come on these trucks (they did back in '06) but if you have stock tires, then your need for 4HI will be "higher" haha

Good tires are one of the BEST performance mods you can get. Then, you can see what these trucks can do.

I assume UT sees real winter (never been there - it's on the 2-do list)

Good luck & Welcome

06 DC LB S45 4X4: Roll 'N Lock / Philips Xtremes / Cobra CB / AllPro IFS, tranny & T-Case skids,1.25 spacers, 10 pack leafs/ R. diff breather mod / fogs-on mod /Nitto Terra Grapplers 265/75/16 / Hakkapeliitta LT studded/ Timbrens / Fox CO + 2.0 resi x4 / YotaFab sliders / Yaesu FT2600
VA6TAC
Highlander LE 2001 (wife's)
#9 Old 01-12-2010, 11:11 PM
Official TN Member

Quote:

It's a bummer that the truck can't even pull out onto the street without sliding unless 4Hi is engaged, so I guess the moral of the story is be careful. Period. I have to say I'm missing my Legacy GT LTD more and more...., but I could use the truck. Maybe after my basement is finished I'll switch back.
Unloaded rear wheel drive pickup = no traction. This isn't news.

Get 200 pounds of sand bags and put them in the front of the bed, near the rear axle, and some decent tires, and you probably won't have to use 4WD much.

Realize, when you do use 4WD, it is a truck made for off road traction, and not an AWD car made for on road traction. There is no center diff, and you have 2 open, or an open front and locking or LSD rear diff.

Learn to use the tools at your disposal to your advantage.
#10 Old 01-12-2010, 11:14 PM
Senior TN Member

Your manual explains this well. You should read it.

2005 Impulse Red 4x2 Access cab 2.7L 5-speed SR5.
#11 Old 01-13-2010, 09:02 AM
Official TN Member

Quote:

I've never kept factory tires through a winter, they tend to be cheap garbage. I can't speak for whatever is on the base models, but the Rugged Trails that came on mine were absolute crap. If you accelerated hard in the rain they'd just spin. I replaced them with General Grabber AT2s before the first snow hit in 2008 and haven't looked back. They've gotten me everywhere I've needed to be without issue.
#12 Old 01-13-2010, 09:27 AM
***lurking***

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

If you are still running the stock rugged trails or dunlops, that is 90% of your problem. I have been able to travel in our last few snow storms without the "need" for four wheel drive, but I am running BFG AT's, the Rugged Trails were horrible! Swap for a better set of tires and you will notice a night and day difference!

Last edited by 08TRDOFFROAD; 01-13-2010 at 09:29 AM.
#13 Old 01-13-2010, 10:57 AM
Got Snow?

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Thanked 1,027 Times in 809 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08TRDOFFROAD View Post
If you are still running the stock rugged trails or dunlops, that is 90% of your problem. I have been able to travel in our last few snow storms without the "need" for four wheel drive, but I am running BFG AT's, the Rugged Trails were horrible! Swap for a better set of tires and you will notice a night and day difference!
And this right here is probably the crux of your problem. For instance, with the dunlops or rugged trails, I could break the rear end loose on wet (or dry) pavement on turns when accelerating hard. Once I got the BFG AT's, I couldn't make the back end break loose on those same wet turns. Traction increased 10-fold just from the tires. This decreased how often I need to run in 4Hi. Remember, even 4wd means nothing if you don't have the correct tires!

'05 4x4 DC LB SR5 (LSD & Tow Pkg), Timbrens, AAL, 5100s, 12/3/04
Mods: Fog, Map/Dome Light, Illuminated 4wd Selector Switch,
DIY Washable Cabin Air Filter (Moose Filter Mod) | & 2010 Highlander 4WD
#14 Old 01-13-2010, 04:42 PM
'09 DC LB Sport+Leather

I have to think about turning back to 2Hi when getting int he underground parking lot (I'm 3 floors below ground) because the turns are really hard if I forget in 4Hi

09 DC LB Sport + Leather
On: Icon Extended COs / Camburg UCA / ATX Predator Teflon / Mickey Thompson MTZ / Color-Matched emblems / All-Pro Bumper & skids / Stubbs HD-SKO / Alcans custom leafs / U-Bolt flip / Icon rear resi shocks
Ordered: Rear Bumper / Shackle flip
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Tacoma Forum > 2nd Generation (2005+)