Leaf Spring TSB - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
2nd Generation (2005+) Discussion area for the 2nd generation of the Toyota Tacoma

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 10-10-2010, 05:29 PM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Leaf Spring TSB

I have read TSB T-SB-0305-08 Rev2 and it is confusing as hell to me. Can anyone tell me if this TSB applies to my 2010 TRD Sport 6 cyl. For some reason I am not allowed to post attachments.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-10-2010, 07:34 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubline View Post
I have read TSB T-SB-0305-08 Rev2 and it is confusing as hell to me. Can anyone tell me if this TSB applies to my 2010 TRD Sport 6 cyl. For some reason I am not allowed to post attachments.
I don't know. But if it does, get it if you want a truck. Here is my 05 before and after. It rides more like a truck than a car. Stiffens the rear end, and now I don't bottom out and hit the bump stops with a heavy load in the bed.

Before:
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c1...9/IMG_0221.jpg

After:
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c1...9/IMG_0228.jpg

Last edited by Billzebub; 10-13-2010 at 12:06 AM.
#3 Old 10-10-2010, 08:59 PM
J.O.A.T, Master of none

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
This TSB is news to me, I had version 2 done, I think it was TSB-006-007 or something like that.

Mine was better but still really no good, my DC still bottom with no load when there are 4 adults in it. I'm contemplating Ride Rite air bags.

I have 127K, I guess I would be out of luck anyway.

HotRod

'14 Sport DC/LB, super white, LEER 100XL, Weathertech visors and floor liners, '07 Camry XLE I4, '06 Camry XLE V6, '06 Tacoma traded @175K.

#4 Old 10-10-2010, 11:22 PM
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
So the dealer installed a 4 leaf spring set and Bilstein shocks. I will have to look at my rear leaf springs, I have the Bilsteins but not sure how many leafs per side.

Last edited by Rubline; 10-10-2010 at 11:25 PM.
#5 Old 10-11-2010, 07:53 AM
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
I checked my rear leaf springs and there are 3 leafs in each set. It looks exactly the same as Billzbub's before photo (I do have the Billsteins though). I will call the dealer today and see what they have to say about the TSB.
#6 Old 10-11-2010, 08:38 AM
Senior TN Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Since you have a TRD package, you already have the better shocks from the factory. Only the leaf springs would change.

Keep in mind that a TSB is not a recall, so the dealer isn't obligated to give you anything. If you are having legitimate problems with the bed bottoming out under load, then replacing the leaf springs is a solution per the TSB. If you want the work done under warranty (for free), complain about the problem rather than starting off by asking for a TSB to be done. As soon as a customer says "TSB", a lot of dealers get defensive and get ready to argue with you.

2013 Highlander Limited
2009 Tacoma DC SB TRD Sport 4x4
Retired: 2000 Tacoma Xtra Cab V6 TRD Off Road 4x4
#7 Old 10-11-2010, 02:28 PM
Official TN Member

X2 on toto's comments. I had the leaf TSB done on my '05 SR5 4x4. I was surprised to find they had done more than just the leaf pack. Don't know if Toyota is still doing it, but on the non-TRD models, they did the leafs + replaced the shocks with Bilsteins + did an alignment. They said the TRD's only got the leaf re-do.
#8 Old 10-11-2010, 07:05 PM
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
I had called the dealer today to inquire about the TSB. Not telling them my name, they had told me that their techs would check the truck and check the bump stops on the frame. If the bump stops looked bad, they would replace the leaf pack with the extra leaf. So in order for me to get the upgrade, I would have to load up the truck and drive around on bumpy roads, then take the truck to the dealer and complain about the way the truck rides and handles with a load in the bed. Otherwise I would have to make do with what I have or have a leaf added to the existing pack.

Thanks guys.
#9 Old 10-11-2010, 09:34 PM
J.O.A.T, Master of none

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Comment on Ozarkie's comment..... TRD got spring packs and rear Bilsteins (that's what I got), non-TRDs got spring packs and (4) Bilsteins + alignment, not sure if TRD got alignments, would have to read it again.

Here is the actual TSB:

http://www.lieblweb.com/images/tacoma/LeafSpringTSB.pdf

Update... Ozarkie is right, no shocks... but I got them with mine...bonus!

HotRod

'14 Sport DC/LB, super white, LEER 100XL, Weathertech visors and floor liners, '07 Camry XLE I4, '06 Camry XLE V6, '06 Tacoma traded @175K.

Last edited by HotRod53; 10-11-2010 at 09:36 PM.
#10 Old 10-12-2010, 08:35 PM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRod53 View Post
Comment on Ozarkie's comment..... TRD got spring packs and rear Bilsteins (that's what I got), non-TRDs got spring packs and (4) Bilsteins + alignment, not sure if TRD got alignments, would have to read it again.

Here is the actual TSB:

http://www.lieblweb.com/images/tacoma/LeafSpringTSB.pdf

Update... Ozarkie is right, no shocks... but I got them with mine...bonus!
Glad you got the extra treatment! I was particularly surprised when they replaced all my shocks (didn't know they were doing it under the TSB) because in about month or two I was going to replace my old ones...saved me a bunch of $$$.
#11 Old 03-01-2011, 10:40 PM
New TN User

A little late to this show

Thanks to this forum I was able to get the TSB completed on my 2007 tacoma. It almost killed me because the stealership didn't torque the nuts. Anyways, my machine is in the shop now because we would hit bumps with three or four guys over the last couple of weeks and it would bottom out even with the TRD. These guys need to get their shi& together and toughen up the truck.
#12 Old 03-04-2011, 08:27 PM
New TN User

I do some towing with my Tacoma and had initially installed Super Springs due to the soft rear end. They did a very good job...for a while. They started to twist a bit and got kinda loud. I came to this forum looking for another suggestion (air bags?) and found out about the TSB.
I called Toyota, got a case number for my truck due to the fact that I had 50,000 on it and it was 5 years old. They denied my claim but my dealer went to bat for me one more time (Baierl Toyota in Cranberry, Pa.) and thankfully they ended up doing the TSB for me.
The truck rides SOOOOOO much better and more like a truck. I will feel much safer with my travel trailer behind me now.

I dont know if it had anything to do with the decision....but they OKed my repairs about 3 days after we bought our Venza
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Tacoma Forum > 2nd Generation (2005+)