90,000 mile service...what should i get done??? - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
2nd Generation (2005+) Discussion area for the 2nd generation of the Toyota Tacoma

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 11-22-2010, 01:10 PM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
90,000 mile service...what should i get done???

I have 90,000 on my truck ('06 Tacoma v6 prerunner) and i am not sure what all i should get done. At 30,000 and 60,000 i got some package that cost around $450. This time i would like to tell them what i want done.

What would you all recommend?

Aside from the obvious like oil change, oil filter change, tire rotation.

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-22-2010, 03:04 PM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaTacomaMan View Post
I have 90,000 on my truck ('06 Tacoma v6 prerunner) and i am not sure what all i should get done. At 30,000 and 60,000 i got some package that cost around $450. This time i would like to tell them what i want done.

What would you all recommend?

Aside from the obvious like oil change, oil filter change, tire rotation.

Thank you
All the fluids: oil, transmission, differential, coolant, brake fluid, power steering, window washing

All the filters: oil, air, cabin, fuel.

Belts, hoses, wiper blades, sparkplugs, PCV. If you're really interested in the PREVENTIVE part of PM: O2 sensors. Yes, expensive, but they are about ready to start causing problems. You could, of course, wait until you get check engine light and fret through troubleshooting at $60 an hour.

Lube 'em if ya got 'em and don't forget the leaf springs (jack it up from the frame and squeeze grease between each leaf in the pack after prying the gap open).

Alignment in addition to the rotation, unless you have a tire package that includes it.

O2 sensors aside, if you want to save the only thing to drop from the list is the hoses but still check them carefully. The idea of this is: when accessing and replacing these items and fluids they'll be forced to put their hands on a lot of things that could be about ready to break or is badly worn. They should identify it to you and you make the decision of how/when to address the problem it presents.

It's very doubtful they'll offer all that in any service package. What they will offer, aside from the oil and filter, is a bunch of 'check this...adjust that' which doesn't really do much but costs a bunch as you found out.

Last edited by Buddywh1; 11-22-2010 at 03:25 PM.
#3 Old 11-22-2010, 07:19 PM
J.O.A.T, Master of none

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
And don't forget serpentine belt, I recommend a Goodyear Gatorback.

WS (world spec) Transmission is good for 100K, coolant is good for 100K, needs replaced soon.

HotRod

'14 Sport DC/LB, super white, LEER 100XL, Weathertech visors and floor liners, '07 Camry XLE I4, '06 Camry XLE V6, '06 Tacoma traded @175K.

#4 Old 11-28-2010, 08:42 PM
New TN User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddywh1 View Post
All the fluids: oil, transmission, differential, coolant, brake fluid, power steering, window washing

All the filters: oil, air, cabin, fuel.

Belts, hoses, wiper blades, sparkplugs, PCV. If you're really interested in the PREVENTIVE part of PM: O2 sensors. Yes, expensive, but they are about ready to start causing problems. You could, of course, wait until you get check engine light and fret through troubleshooting at $60 an hour.

Lube 'em if ya got 'em and don't forget the leaf springs (jack it up from the frame and squeeze grease between each leaf in the pack after prying the gap open).

Alignment in addition to the rotation, unless you have a tire package that includes it.

O2 sensors aside, if you want to save the only thing to drop from the list is the hoses but still check them carefully. The idea of this is: when accessing and replacing these items and fluids they'll be forced to put their hands on a lot of things that could be about ready to break or is badly worn. They should identify it to you and you make the decision of how/when to address the problem it presents.

It's very doubtful they'll offer all that in any service package. What they will offer, aside from the oil and filter, is a bunch of 'check this...adjust that' which doesn't really do much but costs a bunch as you found out.

How much would you expect to pay for this service?
#5 Old 11-28-2010, 10:12 PM
Take off, eh!

Wow, if you asked a Toyota dealer to do all that... I don't even want to think about it.

Let's see now. there are some excellent independents. You can also take care of a lot of this yourself, or "lurk" on local forums in your area & find local 'Yota experts.

You do have options. There is an ever-growing body of DIY stickies on most of these suggestions.

They can be done 1 at a time, to build up your confidence.

For reference, I am a pharmacist - yes the nerdy guy with a white coat. I now do it all, including plugs, suspension, fluid. Looking forward to the serpentine belt change - It'll be a 'Gator. Each step in the journey improves your confidence. That & joined a wicked 4X4 club.

I asked around, found an independent mech, with a full kit / lift garage & b/c he doesn't pay overhead, I get a good deal when I need help. (He is a Ford guy, but for some reason loves working on Toyota's - go figure )

I can't imagine this scenario is unique to me.

D

06 DC LB S45 4X4: Roll 'N Lock / Philips Xtremes / Cobra CB / AllPro IFS, tranny & T-Case skids,1.25 spacers, 10 pack leafs/ R. diff breather mod / fogs-on mod /Nitto Terra Grapplers 265/75/16 / Hakkapeliitta LT studded/ Timbrens / Fox CO + 2.0 resi x4 / YotaFab sliders / Yaesu FT2600
VA6TAC
Highlander LE 2001 (wife's)
#6 Old 11-29-2010, 07:58 AM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante's Taco View Post
Wow, if you asked a Toyota dealer to do all that... I don't even want to think about it....
That's so right...I do agree. But I've seen 60K mile checkups that cost in the range of $600-700 and don't do half of these. Mostly 'check this...adjust that' kinds of things. Impossible to know for a fact they actually did it...now where's the value there? It's really aggravating to see those rip-off cash-cow deals they put up as something that's so great.

What I suggest are actual maintenance actions that leave something new on the vehicle you can verify. Things that wear or deteriorate with use-age, time and heat.

But then, I also do most myself and spread them out for when I get the time and money. That's a good plan for someone who's pretty savvy about their vehicle and can tell when something's going bad.

What would be smart is to group things together in the 80-100K range: when you need brakes (should be sometime in there) make sure they replace all the brake fluid too. When you do antifreeze, make sure they do hoses and belts. When you get oil changes do some of the filters and then get diffy one time and transmission another time. Spread it out and the hit is less painful.

Also... get a scan tool and learn how to read out and reset codes yourself. It's easy to determine when the O2 sensors are going; hey start to act up in the 90-110K range if they are going to.

Last edited by Buddywh1; 11-29-2010 at 08:14 AM.
#7 Old 11-29-2010, 12:38 PM
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
Well i ended up not being able to get as much as i wanted because of a transmission gasket leak and my front brake pads needing to be replaced and my rotors turned...which used up most my money.

Basically i got some fluids changed and some just topped off. Got oil change, filter, and rotations. Also got new spark plugs. New air filters. A few other things too. I dont have my sheet with me or i could tell yall everything i got.

Anyway it cost me right at $700 . Toyota is about the only place i trust around here because of all the shaddy garages around my area. They just are so expensive.

Also my back rear door doesnt unlock or lock with the remote or the button in the truck. I have to lock/unlock it manually. They said $380 to fix it and i said i think i will be locking/unlocking my door manually.
#8 Old 11-29-2010, 01:45 PM
Official TN Member

Are you in Savannah. GA?
#9 Old 11-29-2010, 02:29 PM
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
Yeah i live in Savannah. Know any good mechanics down here?
#10 Old 11-29-2010, 02:47 PM
Official TN Member

Are you military? Retired? You can do all of this yourself. It is not hard. If you are military, you can go to the DIY shops on base where they have ASE cert mechanics that can walk you through it as you are doing it. If the pharmacist can do it, so can you. Heck, I am a critical care nurse by trade and the stuff I do on my sick patients is more scary. I do all my maintenance myself as a therapeutic hobby

If you can post in here, you can google or look at the DIY threads in here.
Let us know what you are in need of. I am getting ready to work on my 07 Taco and do the fluids myself.
#11 Old 11-29-2010, 02:59 PM
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
I should learn how to do it all myself but would have to get some tools. I'm not afraid to admit i dont have much knowledge about automotive repair or much mechanical skill but i am opened to learn.

I did borrow a tool set and install a TRD intake but i'm pretty sure that is a low difficulty job.
#12 Old 11-29-2010, 05:54 PM
Official TN Member

That is a start little buddy
#13 Old 11-29-2010, 06:22 PM
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROMAFERN View Post
Are you military? Retired? You can do all of this yourself. It is not hard. If you are military, you can go to the DIY shops on base where they have ASE cert mechanics that can walk you through it as you are doing it. If the pharmacist can do it, so can you. Heck, I am a critical care nurse by trade and the stuff I do on my sick patients is more scary. I do all my maintenance myself as a therapeutic hobby

If you can post in here, you can google or look at the DIY threads in here.
Let us know what you are in need of. I am getting ready to work on my 07 Taco and do the fluids myself.
I'm a 21 year old female and I do it all by myself. Taught myself, my brothers thought it was stupid that a girl wanted to work on cars. Now I can tear down and rebuild an engine faster than them

6 speed manual 2011 Camry SE
1995 Mustang-1994 Mustang GT
1985 AMC Eagle
#14 Old 11-29-2010, 06:33 PM
Official TN Member

DAMN!

I would love for you to show me how to tear an engine! Seriously.
#15 Old 11-29-2010, 06:40 PM
Need For Speed

Garage
Well, I'll be in Georgia next fall for Z Nationals!

6 speed manual 2011 Camry SE
1995 Mustang-1994 Mustang GT
1985 AMC Eagle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Tacoma Forum > 2nd Generation (2005+)