Turning in 4 wheel drive - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
2nd Generation (2005+) Discussion area for the 2nd generation of the Toyota Tacoma

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 11-19-2011, 11:45 PM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Turning in 4 wheel drive

Hi i just got a 2012 Tacoma about a month ago. when i first drove it i had it in 4-wheel drive and never had an issue with it. but now when its in 4-wheel drive and i turn (not very sharp ether) the truck will jurk and jump hard like its binding. (almost like the diffs are locked but their not) the truck only has like 550 miles on it. is this normal or should i get it checked out and what would cause this to happen?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-20-2011, 12:31 AM
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Are you doing it on a paved surface? IIRC you're not supposed to be using the 4wd function on a paved road.

#3 Old 11-20-2011, 12:31 AM
ALSO AVAILABLE IN SOBER

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Normal operation. Every 4x4 vehicle I ever had would do this. You notice it more in 4 low.

#4 Old 11-20-2011, 08:46 AM
Senior TN Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
That's normal for part-time 4x4 systems without a center differential (like the Tacoma). Without the center diff, the front wheels and the rear wheels are both being driven at the same speed. But when you turn the front wheels to the side, physics dictates that they cannot turn at the same speed as the rear wheels.

Because of that, you get the binding problem on dry pavement. If the pavement were wet/slippery, the front wheels could slip a little bit and not cause the binding. So, it's best to only use the 4WD modes when necessary due to slick pavement conditions or off-road.

In contrast, vehicles like crossovers with AWD or some SUV's with 4WD have a center diff that mechanically allows the front wheels to turn at a slightly different speed. Then there is no binding at all, and those systems can be driven with power to all 4 wheels all the time. If the center diff can be locked, then locking the center diff would take it out of the equation and then it's just like there is no center diff.

2013 Highlander Limited
2009 Tacoma DC SB TRD Sport 4x4
Retired: 2000 Tacoma Xtra Cab V6 TRD Off Road 4x4

Last edited by toto; 11-20-2011 at 08:47 AM.
#5 Old 11-20-2011, 09:22 PM
New TN User

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Ok thank you =)
yeah im in Alaska and i have been keeping it in 4 wheel most the time because lots of ice and snow on roads......,it was doing it on the snow also thats why i thought it was kinda weird...
also i am used to the Landcruiser w/ the center diff i think that is why i thought it was strange.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Tacoma Forum > 2nd Generation (2005+)