TPMS "Service Fees" When Replacing Tires - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
2nd Generation (2005+) Discussion area for the 2nd generation of the Toyota Tacoma

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 12-17-2011, 06:58 PM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
TPMS "Service Fees" When Replacing Tires

I have a completely stock 08 Tacoma TRD Offroad and I'm about to replace the tires (265/70/16) on the stock rims. I plan to order the tires (BFG ATs) off tirerack.com and have them installed at my local tire shop. My question is should I be seeing any charges/fees from the tire shop for any type of TPMS service on top of the obvious mounting, balancing, and disposal of old tires? Is this some extra BS charge they try and stick people with?

I tried searching around and couldn't really find anything on this.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-17-2011, 07:03 PM
ALSO AVAILABLE IN SOBER

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've never seen a shop charge for TPMS setup here (if you buy the tires from them). If you need to have the rebuild kit installed, that is extra. After a few years, you need to replace the stems and seals.

I'm not in your area but that's how it works here.

#3 Old 12-17-2011, 08:11 PM
Wishin I was Fishin

^ it is for a rebuild kit. They charge like 11 bucks per kit IIRC from the last quote I got. Useless money maker.... TPMS is only needed to keep the dummy light on my dash from being lit.
#4 Old 12-18-2011, 09:26 AM
J.O.A.T, Master of none

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
I have never seen a charge for this, yet it would not suprise me, lot of scumbag businesses out thare that love to nickel and dime. If you need to rebuild them, then yeh, I get it. Normal service, sounds like a few I have been to over the years that wanted an extra charge for aluminum wheels. I guess you have to pay extra to make the tech do his job right and not hack up your rims.

Around here the new cash cow in nitrogen in the tires. There may be some value to it but I'm not convinced yet, especially at a couple of bucks a tire.

HotRod

'14 Sport DC/LB, super white, LEER 100XL, Weathertech visors and floor liners, '07 Camry XLE I4, '06 Camry XLE V6, '06 Tacoma traded @175K.

#5 Old 12-18-2011, 10:59 AM
Take off, eh!

My turn for TPMS rant

Ah yes, the old N2 game. haha that one always makes me smile. They got my father-in-law on that at the Old Man Car (= General Motors) Dealership. I set him straight ("are you a formula one driver? No. 'Nuff said. PS if you have more money to waste, send it to me for your Grandkids")

Anyway, initially I was wondering if OP meant they were charging more to mount just because the rims were equipped with TPMS; which doesn't seem right since all new vehicles are required to have this system. As in soon all will? Was that the case? Kal Tire up here charges $10 / tire for the re-build kit IIRC. Not sure about just plain mounting; It's been so long - see below:

My '06 was the first year with them for Tacomas up here. I run all winter long on a set of Winter's on steel take-offs with NO TPMS (just fine). I had my two sets of wheels mounted & balanced on rims initially; I do my own tire rotation & changeovers & thus don't get caught by the Seasonal mounting & unmounting money-maker. You soon get over the TPMS lamp - although, interestingly, around town I *dont* find it is going off - only when I get more than 15-20 km away from house. So on my short commute to & from work - it stays off! (The set of summer tires with the TPMS lives in the garage beside the truck).

TPMS is one system on the truck I will never spend a dime on when (not if: the batteries are epoxyd' into pots & CANNOT be changed!) it fails. That's because I paid off the truck & am driving it into the ground, so re-sale is a non-issue.

Two words: Tire Gauge.

There. I feel better.

06 DC LB S45 4X4: Roll 'N Lock / Philips Xtremes / Cobra CB / AllPro IFS, tranny & T-Case skids,1.25 spacers, 10 pack leafs/ R. diff breather mod / fogs-on mod /Nitto Terra Grapplers 265/75/16 / Hakkapeliitta LT studded/ Timbrens / Fox CO + 2.0 resi x4 / YotaFab sliders / Yaesu FT2600
VA6TAC
Highlander LE 2001 (wife's)

Last edited by Dante's Taco; 12-18-2011 at 11:01 AM.
#6 Old 12-18-2011, 11:54 AM
Wishin I was Fishin

^ agreed. I have my winter tires on as I type this. Therefore, the TPMS light is on. I just received the title to the truck and plan on driving it into the ground. I will probably have them remove the tpms sensors and install regular 2in shorty valve stems. Has any one come up with a way to disable this system for the 08? Could I remove the LED on the dash?

Last edited by Dark Taco; 12-18-2011 at 12:11 PM.
#7 Old 12-18-2011, 12:27 PM
Take off, eh!

Hi Dark Taco

Yes, LED removal is one option - I know a guy in Calgary who did the white LED mod on his truck gauges (& a few other guys as well) & at least one asked for & got the TPMS light removed.

However, TPMS is a surface mount LED IIRC, so depending on experience, may or may not be a good idea.

Funny as it sounds, you can remove instrument cluster & place small piece of black electrical tape over the spot where the TPMS symbol is, on back side of bezel; very simple & low tech but no risk of frying a cluster main board. (you don't see the tape from front once put back together; and leaves system stock just in case...)

And there is always the "put all 5 (or 4 in newer years?) TPMS in a PVC "pipe bomb" pressurised to ~ 30 PSI & chuck in back" trick. Which I'm not a fan of, b/c it doesn't address TPMS sensor battery failure down the road. BUT this way avoids stored trouble codes which removal or taping over LED does not prevent.

I haven't personally done any of above.

06 DC LB S45 4X4: Roll 'N Lock / Philips Xtremes / Cobra CB / AllPro IFS, tranny & T-Case skids,1.25 spacers, 10 pack leafs/ R. diff breather mod / fogs-on mod /Nitto Terra Grapplers 265/75/16 / Hakkapeliitta LT studded/ Timbrens / Fox CO + 2.0 resi x4 / YotaFab sliders / Yaesu FT2600
VA6TAC
Highlander LE 2001 (wife's)

Last edited by Dante's Taco; 12-18-2011 at 12:29 PM.
#8 Old 12-18-2011, 12:41 PM
Wishin I was Fishin

For kicks I should go to the dealer and ask them to install the tape under the gauge cluster over the led.
#9 Old 12-18-2011, 12:46 PM
Can hold his own

Ah, yes. The 'TPMS LED' TSB lol
#10 Old 12-18-2011, 01:12 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I just performed the TPMS bypass a little over a week ago and couldn't be happier. Having that light flash in your eyes while driving for hours on end at night is tiresome at best! The little fix didn't take me more than 45 min, works perfectly, and is easily reversible.

2006 Tacoma DBCB LB TRD, ARB, Camburg 1.25" uniball UCA's, OME Dakar leafs, King OEM Performance suspension, TW one piece driveshaft, Toyo M/T 255/85/R16 E10, Vertex Standard radio, aFe stage 2 Si intake.
#11 Old 12-19-2011, 07:55 PM
Tolkien fanatic

^ What he said. I did the mod a couple of months ago because my snow tires are mounted on '02 Tundra wheels. I didn't want the wife freaking over the warning light I even put a SPDT switch in mine so I wouldn't have to swap around spade connectors. But I still have to remove the glove box If you ever sell the truck, return the switch/spade connectors to the stock configuration and don't tell the buyer.

Merry Christmas, all!

"It is a curious thing that every creed promises a paradise which will be absolutely uninhabitable for anyone of civilized taste." -- Evelyn Waugh

G
#12 Old 12-19-2011, 10:31 PM
TN god

It is good to rebuild the sensors especially if you live in the snow.. it will corrode the threads and it could lead to having to replace the sensor later on.

costco charges $2 each for the kits and they also use nitrogen in all of their tires for free. If you are paying $11 to rebuild these, you're getting ripped off!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Tacoma Forum > 2nd Generation (2005+)