Reset Airbag Light - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Advertisement
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Tacoma Forum > 2nd Generation (2005+)

2nd Generation (2005+) Discussion area for the 2nd generation of the Toyota Tacoma

ToyotaNation.com is the premier Toyota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2011, 10:58 AM   #1 (permalink)
New TN User

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
View buckaroobanzaiii's Photo Gallery
Reset Airbag Light

I've been having a recurring problem with the airbag light on my 2005 Tacoma. I take it to the dealer and they say there's no problem and reset the codes, but the light continues to go on and off intermittently. I'd like to save myself a trip to the dealer by resetting the codes myself. Does anyone know if the simple scan tools (like this one from Walmart: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Innova-310...-Tool/13029624) will reset the airbag light? It says it will reset the "check engine" light, but I was wondering if this clears all code, including the airbag.
buckaroobanzaiii is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2011, 12:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Gameroom cash: $991421
Thanked 1,666 Times in 1,168 Posts
Lifetime Supreme Member
View heartdisease's Photo Gallery
This is what I use for code clearing and much much more, best money I have ever spent on an app. https://market.android.com/details?i...l.torque&hl=en

My code reader sits unused and I have been thinking about selling it.

After researching a little it appears that it won't do airbags but maybe this forum post will point you in the right direction--- http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...t-1688590.html

I would maybe go to another shop and get a second opinion on why the light keeps turning on, I wouldn't be comfortable with just "its ok" if it keeps happening. I suppose if you do a lot of off roading and change stuff that could mess with the speed sensors and that would set the light, but I would want to know for sure.

Last edited by heartdisease; 12-26-2011 at 01:27 PM.
heartdisease is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2011, 12:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
Wishin I was Fishin

Gameroom cash: $648990
View Dark Taco's Photo Gallery
scanguage 2 comes to mind. I would take it to a different dealer and get a second opinion doesn't sound normal to me. Did they check the clock spring?
Old 12-26-2011, 12:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior TN Member

Gameroom cash: $351895
View toto's Photo Gallery
The airbag codes are manufacturer-specific B1 codes, so I'm willing to bet that it will not work. However, there is a way to read them by shorting two pins on the OBD connector and making the light on the dash flash a code. There is also a way to clear the codes in a similar manner.

There's a lot more detail about that in this thread:
SRS Light HELP!

There are OBD2 software packages that have add-ons available that are specific to Toyota that will handle all of the extra types of codes. The two I can think of are Auterra Dyno-Scan and AutoEnginuity. They're a little more expensive because you have to buy the base product (software + OBD connector) along with the Toyota-specific module.

Last edited by toto; 12-26-2011 at 12:35 PM.
toto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2011, 01:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
New TN User

Thanks All. I jumped to get the code and got a 13. Anyone know what this means or where I can find this?
Old 12-26-2011, 01:54 PM   #6 (permalink)
New TN User

OK, so after looking a while I found this link: http://www.diycardoctor.com/Download...ag%20Codes.txt

TOYOTA 2003-2011

EXCEPT CAMRY, CAMRY SOLARA, PRIUS & RAV4

Code Description

Scan Flash

B0100 13 Short In D Airbag or Explosive Module Circuit

Looks like a trip to the dealer (again).
Old 12-26-2011, 05:52 PM   #7 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Gameroom cash: $171250
View integlikewhoa's Photo Gallery
Air bag light will go off if there is no problem (code will remain in history but light will go off). And it also wouldn't come on in the first place if there was no problem. So I suggest you go to a different dealer if they say there is no problem.
Old 12-27-2011, 07:55 AM   #8 (permalink)
Senior TN Member

Gameroom cash: $351895
View toto's Photo Gallery
The 2006 Tacoma FSM says 13 is equivalent to B1610, Front Airbag Sensor RH Circuit Malfunction. That's the deceleration sensor in the engine compartment on the passenger side.

According to the manual, don't even mess with the wiring harness going into that sensor while the battery is connected. It doesn't take much to set off an airbag accidentally. It's probably best to let the dealer investigate further.
toto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2011, 08:11 AM   #9 (permalink)
Official TN Member

Gameroom cash: $107700
View TurDonor's Photo Gallery
Code 13 indicates trouble in the communication between the right front airbag sensor under the front bumper, and the center airbag module that sits on the floor of the center console directly under the heater controls.

If you want to check this out yourself, the procedure from the factory service manual says this (you can probably google it if you want)

Disconnect the battery negative and wait a few minutes to disarm the airbags.
Check out the connections on either end of the harness that connects those two components. The connector is the one on the right of the center module.
Check out the integrity of the harness by disconnecting both ends of the harness and checking for conductivity, shorts and shorts to ground on the two harness wires. The pins are 27 and 29 on the center module connector, which is 2nd and 4th from the left on the bottom row. There are only two pins on the front sensor.
If the harness checks out okay (you should visually check it out as far as you can too, sometimes these intermittent things are harness related) swap your left and right side airbag sensors, reconnect the battery and rejump the code. If you get a 14, it was a bad sensor originally on the right (now on the left.) If you get a 13 again, it is the center module that is bad. If you get nothing, wiggle stuff around and see if you can get a code to appear. Intermittent problems are a bear sometimes. Good luck!
TurDonor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2011, 11:02 AM   #10 (permalink)
New TN User

Thanks for all the advice. I took the truck to a dealer today and they say there's two sensors that need replacing. $849, ouch. Merry Christmas Toyota. Funny, when I took the truck in for this problem when it was under warranty they'd just reset the codes and tell me everything checks out.
Old 12-27-2011, 11:12 AM   #11 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Gameroom cash: $991421
Thanked 1,666 Times in 1,168 Posts
Lifetime Supreme Member
View heartdisease's Photo Gallery
How long ago was that? I might start a little bitching session. If you have the paper work from when they first started to look and it was under warranty then, I would think you would have a strong case for it to be covered.
heartdisease is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Tacoma Forum > 2nd Generation (2005+)